2 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

To be honest, Clark surprised me with signing with a afc west team other than the chiefs. 
It’s about the money so it is what it is. 
hope our left tackle beats this shit out of him. 

If he is healthy

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/6/9/23755606/chiefs-frank-clark-broncos-months-ago-free-agency-brett-veach-andy-reid

Former Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Frank Clark joined CBS Sports NFL insider Josina Anderson on the “Undefined” podcast for about 45 minutes following his decision to sign with the Denver Broncos.

Among several topics, Anderson asked Clark about Kansas City’s decision to release him and the realization that he would no longer be a member of the Chiefs (that part starts around the 13-minute mark).

“The reality is I had to face that a few months ago,” started Clark, “when I had the conversation with my GM, with [Brett] Veach. That settled in for me a few months ago, the fact that there was a high chance that I probably wasn’t going to be back. There’s always a little bit of hope that you could defend your crown and stuff like that, but I kind of knew. I kind of knew that it wasn’t going to happen just based off our conversation that we had. We had a personal conversation. I felt that after the conversation.”

Clark continued, highlighting his relationship with Chiefs head coach Andy Reid.

“The Chiefs, it’s a first-class organization,” said Clark. “Andy Reid, starting all the way at the top coming down to my coach, my head coach. He’s forever going to be my head coach in Andy Reid. We shared countless times — many conversations about cars and about life and about family and about just making the wrong decisions — both he’s made and I’ve made. And making the good decisions, we talked about it all. I’m forever grateful for having him. I came in a young man and he turned me into a true man, helped me become a standup guy in this league [and] in life. I’m forever thankful for the opportunity that I had to even play for that man, for that team — the brotherhood.”

Clark mentioned his close relationships with defensive tackle Chris Jones, former Chiefs defensive back Chris Lammons, punter Tommy Townsend and the staff members who took care of the equipment and the facility.

Skip Ad

1.pngGreg Norman, LIV GolfTiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Serena Williams, TGLAdam Silver is cracking jokes about Ja Morant’s gun incidents nowF1 Grand Prix of Monaco - PracticePaige Spiranac

Anderson followed up with Clark about his conversation with Veach, asking for specifics.

“At the end of the day, it’s a business but I took a paycut for years at a time — I think it was two years in row I had to take a paycut, which is fine.” said Clark. “But going into my third year, I had a pretty great year... I helped my team win another Super Bowl. And I do what I have to do. But then I have big pay coming in next year on my deal, 20-plus million I think, which is high as s—t. Obviously, it’s high, man, in this era of football, especially in this era of [salary] cap, too.

“So we obviously know something has to be worked out. I wasn’t asking for an out-the-ballpark number. I wasn’t asking for $15-20 million. I was due like 25... My agent (Erik Burkhardt), he basically just gave me the scoop and said [the Chiefs said], ‘We’re trying to get something done with a few other guys on the team,’ and I said, ‘I’m with you. I understand fully.’ And he said, ‘If it comes around in free agency, if we can make something work out later on, let’s stay in contact and we can work something out.’ And I said, ‘All right, I got you.’ And that was basically the gist of the conversation.

“Did I get an offer? Was it anything said to that degree? No. No, it was never nothing said, because it was more him saying like, ‘Yo. I don’t want to offer you a number that you’re going to feel disrespected if I offer you, to keep it real with you.’

“I feel like we both enjoyed the time. I truthfully believe them and agree to that. I enjoyed my time in KC. I enjoyed the relationship that I built with everybody. Theres no hard feelings to anybody in that building.”

Clark concluded that there was a quiet understanding between the two sides that it was time to move on — which he eventually did, with the Broncos

3 hours ago, xen said:

Was still a dick move going to the Broncos but I get taking what u can get with his age and injury history.  Dude still was one of the biggest postseason monsters in the history of this franchise so forever grateful to Clark the Shark.

He's got rings... he SHOULD go for the dollars. 

This just means I'll get to root against him now... which will feel so much more natural.

Two Super Bowls....I am quite grateful to have him playing in KC.

That said, he took the best $$ he could find.

He has some major legal expenses and buying ammo for a MAC 10 is not cheap.

I wish him great luck against everyone except KC.

w

4 hours ago, West said:

Two Super Bowls....I am quite grateful to have him playing in KC.

That said, he took the best $$ he could find.

He has some major legal expenses and buying ammo for a MAC 10 is not cheap.

I wish him great luck against everyone except KC.

w

Yeah... Agree. I can't be mad at Frank. There were many ups and downs with him. Stomach issues, legal crap, injuries, being overpaid. But seeing him looking totally spent after a game, exhausted, dripping with sweat. He wasn't elite but he gave it his all. It's not his fault we paid him all that money.🤔

10 hours ago, dhitter said:

Yeah... Agree. I can't be mad at Frank. There were many ups and downs with him. Stomach issues, legal crap, injuries, being overpaid. But seeing him looking totally spent after a game, exhausted, dripping with sweat. He wasn't elite but he gave it his all. It's not his fault we paid him all that money.🤔

Guess it depends on how you look at it... I mean, yeah... he made some plays in the post-season that helped us win. But so did Dirty Dan, especially during the post-season run to SB54. Most of this board was thrilled when they didn't bring DD back, and he wasn't costing an arm and a leg.

Clark certainly helped us win championships... no denying it... but we paid too much for inconsistency IMO. Hindsight is 20/20.

4 hours ago, mex said:

Guess it depends on how you look at it... I mean, yeah... he made some plays in the post-season that helped us win. But so did Dirty Dan, especially during the post-season run to SB54. Most of this board was thrilled when they didn't bring DD back, and he wasn't costing an arm and a leg.

Clark certainly helped us win championships... no denying it... but we paid too much for inconsistency IMO. Hindsight is 20/20.

But is it his fault the Chiefs paid him too much!? Absolutely not. So yeah it was frustrating we got so little in return during the season. I was hoping Hitchens and Clark's deals would serve as warnings to Veach about those big contracts but now we have J Taylor. He might turn out fine but it seems like another overpay. 

15 minutes ago, dhitter said:

But is it his fault the Chiefs paid him too much!? Absolutely not. So yeah it was frustrating we got so little in return during the season. I was hoping Hitchens and Clark's deals would serve as warnings to Veach about those big contracts but now we have J Taylor. He might turn out fine but it seems like another overpay. 

If Taylor holds down the fort allowing Patrick to safely roll right while looking downfield, he's worth every penny.

2 hours ago, mex said:

If Taylor holds down the fort allowing Patrick to safely roll right while looking downfield, he's worth every penny.

Big "IF".  We said the same about Clark and Brown.  Thuney seems to be worth a top contract.  Hitchens wasn't.  A problem on being competitive for a SB every year is that one more player might push one over the top.  Sometimes it works.  For about five or six other contenders, it doesn't.  That's why I cut Clark and Veach more slack.  No matter how overpaid or under performing these guys were, they won.  Nearly every other team would gladly have a few outsized contracts if it meant a Lombardi.  

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Big "IF".

Meh... easy to say. Name one sure thing in the NFL when a new guy starts any season.

When Veach drafted Mahomes nobody knew he was going to perform at this level. We all were hopeful... but nobody knew... just like nobody knew when they drafted Blackledge.

The outsized contracts didn't win the Lombardis. The established ones did... as well as the cheap ones. Way more than Hitch and Clark.

1 hour ago, mex said:

Meh... easy to say. Name one sure thing in the NFL when a new guy starts any season.

When Veach drafted Mahomes nobody knew he was going to perform at this level. We all were hopeful... but nobody knew... just like nobody knew when they drafted Blackledge.

The outsized contracts didn't win the Lombardis. The established ones did... as well as the cheap ones. Way more than Hitch and Clark.

The Lombardi wasn't won by a few people.  It took contributions from everyone.  MVS in the AFCCG after a ho-hum season.  JuJu in the SB.  Pacheco in the playoffs.  Seeing as how all the games were close, any one of a dozen players made plays that could have swung the games either way.  Clark was one of them, he wasn't just filling space.  Would the Chiefs have won either SB without him?  Impossible to say.  But one can't argue with the results.  Would you want to replay the games without him?  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

It took contributions from everyone. 

Kinda what I said.

4 hours ago, mex said:

The outsized contracts didn't win the Lombardis. The established ones did... as well as the cheap ones.

53 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Fuck Clark. You don't choose to try to tee off on the QB that got you 2 rings by going to a division rival. He made his bed, now I hope that Smith buries him in it. 

lol except it literally happens multiple times every year.  Guys stay in division all the time in FA.  Makes sense, you know the division and nobody outside your team knows you as well as the teams you play most often against.

Without the rings I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to finish the job due to relations with other players. However 2 rings are more than enough for a guy in so much legal trouble to only focus on the money. He wasn't getting paid here so makes sense to look for it elsewhere. I doubt we miss him or have to worry about him. 

13 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Without the rings I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to finish the job due to relations with other players. However 2 rings are more than enough for a guy in so much legal trouble to only focus on the money. He wasn't getting paid here so makes sense to look for it elsewhere. I doubt we miss him or have to worry about him. 

He is still getting paid here.