Travis Sets Retirement Date

"Gonna play until the wheels fall off, baby."

:lol: :lol: Hell ya.

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce is entering his 11th pro season while coming off one of the best years of his career.

He caught 110 passes for 1,338 yards with 12 touchdowns in the regular season, then added 27 receptions for 257 yards with four TDs in the post seas and Kansas City won Super Bowl LVII.

Kelce is getting up there in age — particularly for a tight end — as he turns 34 in October. But he doesn’t seem to be planning to retire anytime soon.

Until the wheels fall off, baby,” Kelce said when asked how long he wants to keep playing in his Tuesday press conference. “I love this game and I know I’m going to miss it when I’m done playing. I hear you on that and that’s a business decision I’m sure I’ll have to make at some point in my life.

“But right now, I’m in this building wanting to win football games, man.”

Kelce is a four-time, first-team All-Pro, last earning that honor in 2022. He noted he’s found a good groove in getting himself ready during training camp and the preseason while staying in shape during the offseason. And he tries to focus on the little details to keep his body right.

“I just love the game,” Kelce said. “I think that keeps me living [as] a young, fun-loving football player. I get to play a game for a living at the age of 33, 34. And I don’t want to lose that. I don’t want to lose that excitement for the game that I had when I was a kid.

“Every single day I get to come in with the best team, best players, best coaches in the world. So it makes it easy to come in here and just enjoy it.”

sad thing is that the wheels could fall of in a Nano Second on the practice field. The Chiefs not addressing his heir apparent this draft I think was a mistake and now he is a Raider. Yes I know that is a possibility with any player but 34 yo TE the chances are much higher

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

sad thing is that the wheels could fall of in a Nano Second on the practice field. The Chiefs not addressing his heir apparent this draft I think was a mistake and now he is a Raider. Yes I know that is a possibility with any player but 34 yo TE the chances are much higher

I think he has 2 more years, maybe 3 left. I can see him going to 35 easily barring a career ending injury. Needs to really limit practice and in off season be a health nut for his body.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I think he has 2 more years, maybe 2 left. I can see him going to 35 easily barring a career ending injury. Needs to really limit practice and in off season be a health nut for his body.

His snap count will be going down, especially after those two years, but he could still be effective for a long time as a part time or situational player.  

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Oh, sure that could happen. But the fact he wants to keep playing tells me he's chasing Gronk/TG for GOAT.  Gronk is just 5 months older, and played for 11 seasons. Travis has played 10. 

Pretty sure the Chiefs' front office understands they need to be looking for a TEOTF but honestly, it will be difficult to replace a guy like Travis... unless we have a shitty season and get high draft picks. 

My selfish hopes are that Kelce gets 4 more seasons (very possible) and with it 2 more SB wins. That will put him solid in the GOAT debate. I'd also like to see him break 18 TDs in a season... Gronk's only record.

Travis holds quite a few TE records, but he needs 500 more receptions and 5,000 more yards to pass Tony G. That's a lot... about 5 more seasons of work (Holy shit Tony G was amazing wasn't he?) which hopefully Travis wants to chase.

39 minutes ago, mex said:

Oh, sure that could happen. But the fact he wants to keep playing tells me he's chasing Gronk/TG for GOAT.  Gronk is just 5 months older, and played for 11 seasons. Travis has played 10. 

Pretty sure the Chiefs' front office understands they need to be looking for a TEOTF but honestly, it will be difficult to replace a guy like Travis... unless we have a shitty season and get high draft picks. 

My selfish hopes are that Kelce gets 4 more seasons (very possible) and with it 2 more SB wins. That will put him solid in the GOAT debate. I'd also like to see him break 18 TDs in a season... Gronk's only record.

Travis holds quite a few TE records, but he needs 500 more receptions and 5,000 more yards to pass Tony G. That's a lot... about 5 more seasons of work (Holy shit Tony G was amazing wasn't he?) which hopefully Travis wants to chase.

could of had the now to be a Raider with the pick they had but thats the Domer Homer in me talking, time will tell  what the Domer becomes but I can only imagine what he'd become with MVPat throwing to him and Andy scheming him open

28 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

could of had the now to be a Raider with the pick they had but thats the Domer Homer in me talking, time will tell  what the Domer becomes but I can only imagine what he'd become with MVPat throwing to him and Andy scheming him open

Don't worry. The raiders will misuse him, piss him off, and after his rookie contract is over he'll sign with a division winner on the cheap just to get even with them. :lol: 

1 hour ago, mex said:

on Tony G, to accomplish that with the collection of QB's he had to deal with in KC!

Just amazing!

2 hours ago, mex said:

4 at his current pace would get him really close so he's going to need that and then a 5th year of at least subpar. 

I can see him going to age 37 like TG but man it's asking alot to maintain his current pace. 

The good thing is that he far exceeds TG in every per-game and per-reception category. I don't think he has to get the longevity records to be considered the GOAT. I think he has an argument for that already.

Gronk has a pretty sizable margin in per-reception stats. He was a monster in yards and TDs. 

As long as everyone realizes that "GOAT" is a subjective term.   This "subjectivity"  is not only dependent of the metrics used but also  the generation of the Judge.

Kelce has already surpassed all other Chief's TE in Rings.  Kelce is also "Clutch".....He just keeps coming up big on the biggest stages.

On his someday replacement- I think KC drafted Noah Gray for this...unfortunately or fortunately....replacing the greatest TE in the game today is no easy task.  It is like trying to draft a replacement for Pat Mahomes....Good Luck with that.

2 hours ago, West said:

As long as everyone realizes that "GOAT" is a subjective term.   This "subjectivity"  is not only dependent of the metrics used but also  the generation of the Judge.

Kelce has already surpassed all other Chief's TE in Rings.  Kelce is also "Clutch".....He just keeps coming up big on the biggest stages.

On his someday replacement- I think KC drafted Noah Gray for this...unfortunately or fortunately....replacing the greatest TE in the game today is no easy task.  It is like trying to draft a replacement for Pat Mahomes....Good Luck with that.

The Chiefs have to scout well and draft lucky to replace Kelce.  It won't necessarily be a first round pick.  Kelce wasn't.  How many of the recent "can't miss" TEs drafted in recent first rounds are comparable to Kelce, TG, Gates, Winslow, Gronk, or Whitten?  Some first rounders, some not.  We never know where the next super star is coming from.  I think Gray was drafted to supplement Kelce, not replace him.  

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs have to scout well and draft lucky to replace Kelce.  It won't necessarily be a first round pick.  Kelce wasn't.  How many of the recent "can't miss" TEs drafted in recent first rounds are comparable to Kelce, TG, Gates, Winslow, Gronk, or Whitten?  Some first rounders, some not.  We never know where the next super star is coming from.  I think Gray was drafted to supplement Kelce, not replace him.  

Exactamundo!

Exactamundo !

The other stud TEs in the game to day  are George Kittle rd 5, Mark Andrews rd 3, Freiemuth (sp?) rd2, Higbee rd4 and Waller rd6

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Exactamundo!

Exactamundo !

The other stud TEs in the game to day  are George Kittle rd 5, Mark Andrews rd 3, Freiemuth (sp?) rd2, Higbee rd4 and Waller rd6

Every draft season many fans, and I include myself, get all excited about some can't miss prospect that the Chiefs should move up to get to replace some current player.  But except for OTs, DEs, CBs, and QBs, there's nearly as much value on day two as in the first round.  The Chiefs won't get another TE as effective as Kelce in all probability.  Unless they see another TG and have a higher draft position, they will replace Kelce with a day two pick and hope he's above average and meshes with Mahomes. 

17 hours ago, West said:

I can see a suck for Bronze season in about 20 years.

Gray would be too early to replace Kelce. Obviously we want to be prepared for anything but I believe they already knew that Kelce is playing for a while longer. Gray is a decent TE2 prospect who has been progressing towards that, I don't think he'll evolve into a tier 1 TE and I'm perfectly fine with that. Kelce's replacement likely comes within the next couple years.

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

I can see a suck for Bronze season in about 20 years.

Gray would be too early to replace Kelce. Obviously we want to be prepared for anything but I believe they already knew that Kelce is playing for a while longer. Gray is a decent TE2 prospect who has been progressing towards that, I don't think he'll evolve into a tier 1 TE and I'm perfectly fine with that. Kelce's replacement likely comes within the next couple years.

Agree.  That argument was made when some were pounding the table for a first round TE this year.  Why have the next Kelce use up three years of his rookie contract sitting behind the current one?

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  That argument was made when some were pounding the table for a first round TE this year.  Why have the next Kelce use up three years of his rookie contract sitting behind the current one?

because as it's been said it takes at least a year to learn the offense and the next 2 years might turn into 4 if the new TE lengthens TK's productive career AND have a 2 TE mega-threat th?id=OIP.ubqel4HOzYdoR6ld7ysP5gHaJD&pid=Api&P=0&h=180 the thing is this draft was an incredibly deep TE draft. and even taking the Domer/Raider off the table there where still an above average number of above average TE's available..hell the Packers drafted 2 out of the 19 drafted

9 hours ago, oldtimer said:

because as it's been said it takes at least a year to learn the offense and the next 2 years might turn into 4 if the new TE lengthens TK's productive career AND have a 2 TE mega-threat th?id=OIP.ubqel4HOzYdoR6ld7ysP5gHaJD&pid=Api&P=0&h=180 the thing is this draft was an incredibly deep TE draft. and even taking the Domer/Raider off the table there where still an above average number of above average TE's available..hell the Packers drafted 2 out of the 19 drafted

Agreed.  That's like saying you already have a WR, why draft another one.

Gonna be sad day when Travis hangs it up.  Chances are pretty good that the offense in its current form will have to change and even Mahomes mind set will have to change with it. 

Right now the offense goes through Kelce.  My hope is either Moore steps up the magic of KC BBQ is to Toney what spinach was to popeye and begin to show he can stay healthy or Rice develops into a WR1. 

18 hours ago, xen said:

Agreed.  That's like saying you already have a WR, why draft another one.

Because other positions have a priority as well.  Drafting Kelce's replacement now or even an upgrade over Gray could cost the Chiefs that lineman they need even sooner.  If Kelce plays two more years at a high level and several after that as a part time TE, the Chiefs can afford to wait another year to give TE the first round pick. 

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Because other positions have a priority as well.  Drafting Kelce's replacement now or even an upgrade over Gray could cost the Chiefs that lineman they need even sooner.  If Kelce plays two more years at a high level and several after that as a part time TE, the Chiefs can afford to wait another year to give TE the first round pick. 

Not talking about a first round pick.  There were tight ends up and down this draft. 

Interesting debate. 
We will be lucky to find another TE that can be on par as Kelce or even Tony G but you never know. 
There part that I’m more interested in is which TE  are we going to have that commands the attention kelce does. He makes this offense go and forces defenses to alter there scheme. 
I would think A draft pick would take a few years to develop into a threat such as this. 

17 hours ago, xen said:

Not talking about a first round pick.  There were tight ends up and down this draft. 

Fair enough.  You weren't one of those wanting to spend the first pick on "Kelce's replacement".  Some other posters were.  I think if Veach finds a TE of high perceived value on day two of a draft, he'll go for him.  Where we may disagree is in the degree of urgency.  I feel that the Chiefs are still able to be selective.  They can wait to choose a TE only if he's the BPA.  In a couple of years, they will definitely need to upgrade the position.  

37 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Fair enough.  You weren't one of those wanting to spend the first pick on "Kelce's replacement".  Some other posters were.  I think if Veach finds a TE of high perceived value on day two of a draft, he'll go for him.  Where we may disagree is in the degree of urgency.  I feel that the Chiefs are still able to be selective.  They can wait to choose a TE only if he's the BPA.  In a couple of years, they will definitely need to upgrade the position.  

My preference was the Domer with the First but if you comprehended  my prior postS the other current Pro Bowl quality TE's that I had previously mentioned where  2-5th rnd picks. There where 19 in all drafted this year all the while the Chiefs drafted 0 ZERO in a extremely rare deep TE Draft.. you cant hope to get a possible replacement for TK drafting 0 ZERO.