I’m looking forward to seeing how our defense does this year. 
D line with danna and Wharton back. Danna going into a contract year so he should be motivated. Not sure about Wharton. I like these two guys. Anytime they were on the field, they made plays. 
concerned about a DT. But we have that guy we signed from 49ers that can play inside or out so that may work plus rookie coburn. Our LBs are gonna be a huge advantage. I’m not sure how the addition of tranquill affects this. 
saftey we added Mike edwards so I think that’s a improvement. 

25 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

D line with danna and Wharton back. Danna going into a contract year so he should be motivated. Not sure about Wharton. I like these two guys. Anytime they were on the field, they made plays. 
concerned about a DT. But we have that guy we signed from 49ers that can play inside or out so that may work plus rookie coburn. Our LBs are gonna be a huge advantage. I’m not sure how the addition of tranquill affects this. 

The Chiefs may miss Saunders.  He had his best year last season and played effectively for the most part.  Can Wharton replace him?  Coburn should get playing time this year and Omenihu can contribute as much as Clark did, at least during the regular season.  FAU is the wildcard.  How soon can he play and will he learn to secure the edge?  Cullen made a big difference last season so I trust that he'll get the most out of the line.  Not worried about the LBs or DBs at this point. 

46 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Tranquill gives us a starter or in the very least some depth... not sure how he'll play into different packages but his addition is a win win. 

I think our DL is underrated and will turn some heads. Imagine this offense with a top tier defense... good lord.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

of all the FA's we brought in..he's the one I think will have the most positive impact, I just wish we had him signed for more than 1 year

Year is good imo. Let him and Gay battle it out and see who deserves the extension. Hell if one plays poorly might be able to resign him then at a lower deal and keep it together.

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

of all the FA's we brought in..he's the one I think will have the most positive impact, I just wish we had him signed for more than 1 year

I expect Smith and Omenihu will have the most snaps, but agree that Tranquill could really improve coverage in passing situations.  Gay can do it as well, but hasn't been consistent.  

More excited about the young DE duo but it's not an easy switch to the NFL. However if we strike gold this DL will be awesome with Jones in the middle. Another year under the belt for already top level LBs and the secondary has been a strength in recent years. This could be a major defensive leap if we found the right DE duo.

29 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Chiefs need to have that 2nd "double digit sack guy" to compliment CJ. Who, in your opinion, is the most likely player to step up and fill that role? 

not sure if Dunlap is a  dble digit sack guy but the Greek is and between the Rookie and Dunlap we should easily have dbl digit sacks and batted passes for gravy. Dunlap is such the no brainer IMO

I like the pickup of Tranquill a lot. The Chiefs defense was basically middle of the pack last season, something a lot of people said was all they needed; when the offense was more explosion. So glad it worked out. 

Would like to see Jones extended so Veach can address the DT position by adding another veteran to the mix. If Jones were to even get dinged, that unit is in for a bad time IMO.

Nnadi was certifiably terrible last year. Hoping it was an injury but it looked to be more than that last season.

Coburn might be a nice find but I have tempered expectations for a 6th round rookie.

Wharton has never been a very impactful player. He gets a bit of a pass rush that doesn't get home but that's about all.

Shelton looked washed before we ever signed him last year and then he never saw the field.

You're following all that up with PS-material JAGs.

I think the line of thought that banks on Omenihu filling some significant number of snaps on the interior is fool's gold. He's going to take some situational snaps there but I'm going into it with the thought that it is exactly that, situational. You still need someone to step up next to Jones more regularly on 1st and 2nd downs.

So outside of that, I'm pretty comfortable with the remainder of the defense. I think the LB and DB situations are pretty good for this season. 

3 hours ago, kccrow said:

Would like to see Jones extended so Veach can address the DT position by adding another veteran to the mix. If Jones were to even get dinged, that unit is in for a bad time IMO.

Nnadi was certifiably terrible last year. Hoping it was an injury but it looked to be more than that last season.

Coburn might be a nice find but I have tempered expectations for a 6th round rookie.

Wharton has never been a very impactful player. He gets a bit of a pass rush that doesn't get home but that's about all.

Shelton looked washed before we ever signed him last year and then he never saw the field.

You're following all that up with PS-material JAGs.

I think the line of thought that banks on Omenihu filling some significant number of snaps on the interior is fool's gold. He's going to take some situational snaps there but I'm going into it with the thought that it is exactly that, situational. You still need someone to step up next to Jones more regularly on 1st and 2nd downs.

So outside of that, I'm pretty comfortable with the remainder of the defense. I think the LB and DB situations are pretty good for this season. 

If Jones signs and frees up some cap space, who would you like to see the Chiefs go after?

22 hours ago, jetlord said:

If Jones signs and frees up some cap space, who would you like to see the Chiefs go after?

At this point in the game, Matt Ioannidis would probably be choice #1 and then Mike Pennel. I think Shelby Harris and William Gholston are okay options too, just prefer the other two. Not much meat left on that bone on the market. 

12 hours ago, kccrow said:

At this point in the game, Matt Ioannidis would probably be choice #1 and then Mike Pennel. I think Shelby Harris and William Gholston are okay options too, just prefer the other two. Not much meat left on that bone on the market. 

Yeah ...the bodies that are out there are there for a reason. They fit into the category of "Do they have anything left". It's probably an inexpensive gamble to bring one in.. .but a gamble nevertheless.