The Training Camp Thread

On 7/31/2023 at 6:52 PM, mex said:

I'm certain he never heard any jokes about that name growing up.

My cousin had a sales guy whose name was Harold Beaver. The even funnier thing is he was Harold Beaver the 3rd. Yes he went by Harry and there were 2 others before him. It made the business card that much greater.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

My cousin had a sales guy whose name was Harold Beaver. The even funnier thing is he was Harold Beaver the 3rd. Yes he went by Harry and there were 2 others before him. It made the business card that much greater.

True story:  My old high school math teacher is Nick Dicks.  His sister is Fonda.  She was Fonda Dicks.  She Married a Cox.  No shit.  She went from Fonda Dicks to Fonda Cox.  I never had the pleasure of meeting Fonda, but she sounds fun as hell. 

5 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

True story:  My old high school math teacher is Nick Dicks.  His sister is Fonda.  She was Fonda Dicks.  She Married a Cox.  No shit.  She went from Fonda Dicks to Fonda Cox.  I never had the pleasure of meeting Fonda, but she sounds fun as hell. 

Can you imagine the wedding announcement in the newspaper? Dicks Cox.....

While expecting Toney to be injured on and off all year, I think the WRs will shine this year. I like what I'm hearing about Ross, Moore will really step up this year , MVS with another year in the system, Watson will be steady, Rice will pitch in more as the year goes by and I think James will be gadgety like Hardman. 

11 hours ago, azchief21 said:

While expecting Toney to be injured on and off all year, I think the WRs will shine this year. I like what I'm hearing about Ross, Moore will really step up this year , MVS with another year in the system, Watson will be steady, Rice will pitch in more as the year goes by and I think James will be gadgety like Hardman. 

But are we really going to keep all 7 WRs? One or two of them won't have a chair when the music stops. 

1 hour ago, Boone said:

But are we really going to keep all 7 WRs? One or two of them won't have a chair when the music stops. 

Possibly, especially because of Toneys injury history.  i mean who out of this group do you cut

MVS Moore Rice Toney James Watson and Ross. 

The first 4 aren't getting cut so that leaves James Watson and Ross.  James has PR experience plus he has quite a bit of game experience compared to the rest of the group minus MVS so i don't think he is going anywhere.  Watson is a possibility but Toub usually gets a say and he likes him him on ST.  That leaves Ross.  They don't have much money invested in him but they do have quite a bit time  and i believe he even spent some time with Mahomes in the off season in throwing sessions.  and with Toneys injury history they may prefer to keep 7 especially now since they arent going to carry a FB.  

44 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Possibly, especially because of Toneys injury history.  i mean who out of this group do you cut

MVS Moore Rice Toney James Watson and Ross. 

The first 4 aren't getting cut so that leaves James Watson and Ross.  James has PR experience plus he has quite a bit of game experience compared to the rest of the group minus MVS so i don't think he is going anywhere.  Watson is a possibility but Toub usually gets a say and he likes him him on ST.  That leaves Ross.  They don't have much money invested in him but they do have quite a bit time  and i believe he even spent some time with Mahomes in the off season in throwing sessions.  and with Toneys injury history they may prefer to keep 7 especially now since they arent going to carry a FB.  

Ross is running with the first team gunners.  With our best gunner Nazeeh out I bet they keep 7 and give him a chance to show what he can do.  He does have a skillset as a big receiver that we don't really have otherwise.  We may have the same problem at tight end as they keep raving about Matt Bushman.  He killed it last preseason before the injury.  Once Fortson comes back that's probably where your extra spot from FB goes.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Ross is running with the first team gunners.  With our best gunner Nazeeh out I bet they keep 7 and give him a chance to show what he can do.  He does have a skillset as a big receiver that we don't really have otherwise.  We may have the same problem at tight end as they keep raving about Matt Bushman.  He killed it last preseason before the injury.  Once Fortson comes back that's probably where your extra spot from FB goes.

maybe not, Fortson has been prone to injury just as much as Toney. although he is a great RedZone target for Patrick he misses a lot of games

6 hours ago, arthur75 said:

I feel like this team is loading up with a bunch of sammy watkins types. Makes me a little nervous. Do not care how good they are if they are always hurt.

Well, at least with preseason, if a couple become Hammy Footkins we just IR them and keep other guys we may have had to cut.

10 hours ago, arthur75 said:

I feel like this team is loading up with a bunch of sammy watkins types. Makes me a little nervous. Do not care how good they are if they are always hurt.

As long as they all don't break at the same time... it could work 🤷‍♂️

All they have to do is find a way to keep them 7 initially.  Toney will be out probably 4 weeks at the start of season, so Ross has 3 preseason games and the first 4 to prove his worth and earn that spot.  I do think with Toney gets back they only keep 6.   From what I've read Watson hasn't been great at camp so far so who knows. Maybe Reid is talking him up in the hopes they could trade him for a late pick or a player swap.

51 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Maybe it’s just me, but man am I worried about our Dline. With the suspension at the minimum we lose him for 2-3 games. 
chris Jones hold out and all of a sudden. 
We will know more over the coming weeks but shitting my pants at the moment. 

In Veach we trust?