The Training Camp Thread

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Panicking is a job requirement for long term Chiefs' fans.  Only a Jabroni doesn't panic.  

According to Andy, Patrick will start vs N.O. this week, in the very first preseason game. 

>>insert panicky noises<<

On 8/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, KC Warpaint said:

maybe not, Fortson has been prone to injury just as much as Toney. although he is a great RedZone target for Patrick he misses a lot of games

Might not matter. TEs could very well end up Kelce, Gray, and Bushman. 

49 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I just hope this isn't one of those injury-plagued seasons that puts even the best teams out of contention for a season. If it does, we still have great talent, and we will have a chance to draft higher in each round.  The Chiefs have a wide window as long as we have PM at the reins.

Semi agree.  The Kelce window may close in a few years and reloading there will be difficult. 

43 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Semi agree.  The Kelce window may close in a few years and reloading there will be difficult. 

It will be essentially impossible to re-load there, but there are a lot of "there's" there.  Other positions besides TE can become totally dominant under the teaching of a great coaching staff, smart drafting, and the on-field leadership of Mahomes.  Our window depends far more on Mahomes than it does on Kelce, in my opinion. Already we are seeing the back end of the defense becoming elite. The game plans will be designed and adjusted for the best personnel.  Eventually the window will be closed, but any team can win a championship through drafting and coaching, as long as they have a generational talent at quarterback.

If you look at the Pats SB appearances it seems there are couple of stretches' with multiple appearances in a row then with 2-4 year gaps. I think we should expect something similar just because of player turnover and continued length of Andy's career

Super Bowl 53 Feb. 3, 2019 Patriots 13, Rams 3
Super Bowl 52 Feb. 4, 2018 Eagles 41, Patriots 33
Super Bowl 51 Feb. 5, 2017 Patriots 34, Falcons 28
Super Bowl 49 Feb. 1, 2015 Patriots 28, Seahawks 24
Super Bowl 46 Feb. 5, 2012 Giants 21, Patriots 17
Super Bowl 42 Feb. 3, 2008. Giants 17, Patriots 14
Super Bowl 39 Feb. 6, 2005 Patriots 24, Eagles 21
Super Bowl 38 Feb. 1, 2004 Patriots 32, Panthers 29
Super Bowl 36 Feb. 3, 2002 Patriots 20, Rams 17
Super Bowl 31 Jan. 26, 1997 Packers 35, Patriots 21
Super Bowl 20 Jan. 26, 1986 Bears 46, Patriots 10

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

If you look at the Pats SB appearances it seems there are couple of stretches' with multiple appearances in a row year then with 2-4 year gaps. I think we should expect something similar just because of player turnover and continued length of Andy's career

Super Bowl 53 Feb. 3, 2019 Patriots 13, Rams 3
Super Bowl 52 Feb. 4, 2018 Eagles 41, Patriots 33
Super Bowl 51 Feb. 5, 2017 Patriots 34, Falcons 28
Super Bowl 49 Feb. 1, 2015 Patriots 28, Seahawks 24
Super Bowl 46 Feb. 5, 2012 Giants 21, Patriots 17
Super Bowl 42 Feb. 3, 2008. Giants 17, Patriots 14
Super Bowl 39 Feb. 6, 2005 Patriots 24, Eagles 21
Super Bowl 38 Feb. 1, 2004 Patriots 32, Panthers 29
Super Bowl 36 Feb. 3, 2002 Patriots 20, Rams 17
Super Bowl 31 Jan. 26, 1997 Packers 35, Patriots 21
Super Bowl 20 Jan. 26, 1986 Bears 46, Patriots 10

That's an interesting way to look at it. The Pats, in spite of all those SB wins with #12 at the helm, only had one back-to-back win. Yet he was still 6-3 with the Pats.

At the 5 year point in Brady's career he had 3 appearances and 3 wins. Patrick has had 3 appearances and 2 wins.

Had Dee Ford not had his head up completely his ass, Patrick would have been 3-1 in his first 5 years, better than Brady.

If we can stay healthy, I'm liking our chances. I think the lesson here, and what Belicheat has demonstrated, is that the only indispensable player is your franchise QB. Once you have that piece in place, everything else can be assembled, with good player evaluation, and smart manipulation of existing contracts. Which so far, Veach & Co have consistently displayed.