Chiefs Wire

Mark Donovan provides update on Chiefs’ future at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium

Charles Goldman
Fri, July 21, 2023 at 12:51 PM CDT

40489aea5b6c49db68646292b7ee6e72

Arrowhead Stadium has been home to the Kansas City Chiefs since 1972 and the team currently has a lease in place to remain there through 2031. That said, the future home of the Chiefs has been up in the air.

Ownership has made it clear that their preference is to remain at Arrowhead Stadium with upgrades and renovations to the stadium. However, there are a variety of options that are on the table, including new stadium options both on-site and off-site.

Speaking to media members at the Chiefs’ training camp opening press conference in St. Joseph, Missouri, team president Mark Donovan provided the latest update on the team’s future as it relates to where they’ll play.

Right now, that future is somewhat tied to their neighbors in the Truman Sports Complex, the Kansas City Royals.

“To answer your question, the partnership with the Royals has been great,” Donovan began. “It’s really, really critical to both of us that we have a good partnership as we go through the decision-making process. We’ve been consistent every time that we’ve spoken that it is a process, it’s an important process and that we’re still in the process, but we’re making progress.”

Not only is the Chiefs’ future at Arrowhead tied to the Royals’ decision on a new downtown stadium, but it’s also tied to the vote to extend the 3/8th cent sales tax in Jackson County, which goes toward improvements to Kauffman Stadium and Arrowhead Stadium. That vote is still set for April 2024.

Donovan reiterated some of what we already have come to know regarding their research and options the options that are on the table.

“I want to be consistent and reiterate something that Clark (Hunt) said, the last time he spoke on this,” Donovan explained. “If everything plays out the way we think it’s going to play out, our preference for us, is to upgrade and renovate (Arrowhead Stadium) and make GEHA Field even better.

“We’ve gone through the process and we’ve made some progress there. There are still three viable options on the table that we’ve got to do the due diligence on. Renovate and upgrade, build new on-site, or build new somewhere else. All three of those options are still part of our dialogue.

“We’ve learned a lot in this process. The good news is, we think the building itself is actually, structurally, pretty sound — which gives us the opportunity (to renovate). Having said that, it’s going to take a significant annual investment to keep that building structurally sound.

“The other thing we’ve learned, good and bad, is just like any project, right? There are some days when you get that phone call that’s like, ‘Hey, we just found this. It might be an issue.’ We’re talking about a core sample of cement that was poured in 1970, those issues could be significant and they could factor into the decision.”

The types of issues that the team runs into during the course of their renovations for the 2026 World Cup could also prove to be a determining factor. The team will have to remove seating to properly fit the pitch and make improvements, with an estimated cost of around $50 million. That work will take place in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

Asked whether any of those renovations would be tied into what they have planned for Arrowhead Stadium’s future, Donovan posed the following question.

“What are we going to do to be compliant for the World Cup, to host that amazing event, that we could potentially keep? (Things) that we could benefit from or not have to re-do.”

Ultimately, the Chiefs’ leadership team feels like they’re prepared for any possibility and have the ability to pivot when necessary. They know they need to get things absolutely perfect for the 2026 World Cup and do right by Chiefs fans as well. They also feel they’re heading down the path of doing what they’d like to do, which is to renovate and upgrade Arrowhead Stadium and call it home for many, many years to come.

“We’re heading towards what we want to do and we’re making good progress towards that,” Donovan said. “There is still a lot of work to do and still a lot of due diligence to do. As it relates to the Royals and their decision, obviously, that factors in as well. If and when they go, then that creates opportunity for us and what does that mean? It gets really complicated. We have a sports complex now that has one tenant. How do you deal with that? You know, sports authority. I will say this, in addition to our communication with the Royals, which has been pretty consistent. We’re also talking to the Mayor (Quinton Lucas), the Governor (Mike Parson), the county, the sports authority. They’re all in the loop on what we’re doing and how we’re doing it and (they’re) very supportive.”

55 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

There would be a very large outcry if they move out of Arrowhead mark my words!

I'm not so sure IF  they built a new stadium where the K was an IF they made it an indoor Stadium  KC could host a SB. I dont live in KC anymore and am too  old and wont see that day anyhow so it's hard for me to put too much passion into it one way or another. The Stadium is 50 years old for God's sake and is one of the oldest Stadiums in the league , somethings gotta give

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not so sure IF  they built a new stadium where the K was an IF they made it an indoor Stadium  KC could host a SB. I dont live in KC anymore and am too  old and wont see that day anyhow so it's hard for me to put too much passion into it one way or another. The Stadium is 50 years old for God's sake and is one of the oldest Stadiums in the league , somethings gotta give

Yeah I would think at this point structurally it's not gonna last super long.  They really need to consider a new version of arrowhead where the K is once the royals inevitably move.  I'm glad to see that's a major option.  It's about keeping the Chiefs right where they are for future generations.  It will be the house that Pat built.

Honest question cause i don't know.  Is the Royals moving downtown tied tothe  sales tax vote in april and renovations to arrowhead tied to that same vote meaning can the stadium renovation still happen but not the the royals moving.  I have a sister that lives in kc that the only thing she says about it is the royals have sucked for the better part of 30 yrs a new stadium won't all of a sudden make them win. 

I do agree something needs to be done about arrowhead though.  

What do you want to happen with the complex? When the royals move do you want a new building right next to Arrowhead and what type of building do you want? Totally enclosed or partial (like the LA stadium , should they build hotels and shopping around it?  I bet we can come up with a lot of ideas for what to do

10 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Honest question cause i don't know.  Is the Royals moving downtown tied tothe  sales tax vote in april and renovations to arrowhead tied to that same vote meaning can the stadium renovation still happen but not the the royals moving.  I have a sister that lives in kc that the only thing she says about it is the royals have sucked for the better part of 30 yrs a new stadium won't all of a sudden make them win. 

That's a good question.  Any Jackson Countiers know how that works?

8 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

What do you want to happen with the complex? When the royals move do you want a new building right next to Arrowhead and what type of building do you want? Totally enclosed or partial (like the LA stadium , should they build hotels and shopping around it?  I bet we can come up with a lot of ideas for what to do

I'm partial to open air or at least partial.  Domes have no soul.  Plus with as loud as Chiefs fans get, if you put them in a dome you may rupture some eardrums. 

I suppose a retractable roof is always in play if they really want that superbowl.

12 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

altho  I agree but does she discount the 2 WS trips in 2014 & 15?  I'm no baseball fan by any means but does a team need to be winner before getting a new stadium?.. I'm not so sure

9 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

I am certain  the idea is.. 

That the K goes Down town

New Arrowhead goes up in it's place

Hotels. an event center and the like go up where Arrowhead once was.

I agree about Domes with no soul altho I have not been to Jerry World or any other indoor Stadium except  the one in STL and yea that one sucked. I have to question if todays Arrowhead noise rivals that of the past, I would think not so a Dome might be helpful.

1 minute ago, xen said:

All I know is I would think it would be easier this time on a vote than the last time when we were in the middle of suckville.

This is known.

On 7/21/2023 at 8:49 PM, mex said:

Whatever they do, they'd better strike while the iron's hot. Now's the time.

I thought someone (Donovan or Hunt) said the Royals will make their decision in August.

I also though one of the options is to retrofit Arrowhead and it will last another 25 years, that may or may not include a retractable roof.

1 hour ago, West said:

I thought someone (Donovan or Hunt) said the Royals will make their decision in August.

I also though one of the options is to retrofit Arrowhead and it will last another 25 years, that may or may not include a retractable roof.

Get a new stadium, make arrowhead into a practice/soccer facility or what not. Do what you want for the best stadium you can get with added seats and luxuries like retractable roof etc.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Get a new stadium, make arrowhead into a practice/soccer facility or what not. Do what you want for the best stadium you can get with added seats and luxuries like retractable roof etc.

don't need another soccer facility, there is already one for sporting KC and the one they are building for the womens team. if they build where the baseball stadium sits now they will need to make optimal use of the arrowhead grounds for $$$ making potential

9 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

don't need another soccer facility, there is already one for sporting KC and the one they are building for the womens team. if they build where the baseball stadium sits now they will need to make optimal use of the arrowhead grounds for $$$ making potential

True. Like said before restaurants,  parking, hotels etc.

22 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Let's not taint football with soccer.  Ew..

Bring new Arrowhead across state lines!  Seriously though, I don't care much if they move it or build where the K is or renovate further.  If they go new, I just hope they use the same blueprint of Arrowhead with updated amenities.  

I've reached the point where they could bulldoze the K and move the Royals to Idaho and I wouldn't care.  Between shitty Royals teams, stupid rule changes, and a few other things, baseball is dead to me.  

22 hours ago, kkuenn said:

True. Like said before restaurants,  parking, hotels etc.

If you're going this route, doesn't it basically have to be a dome?  If you're going to build an entertainment district around a venue, 10 home football games and a handful of outdoor concerts in the same isn't going to cut it.  A dome gives 12 month access, Final 4s, all kinds of stuff.  I loathe domes, and would prefer the Chiefs to stay outdoors, but if the plan is what amounts to a mini amusement park, then it has to be a dome.  A dome would put a massive dent in the Sprint Center, or whatever stupid corporate name it's holding these days.  

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

If you're going this route, doesn't it basically have to be a dome?  If you're going to build an entertainment district around a venue, 10 home football games and a handful of outdoor concerts in the same isn't going to cut it.  A dome gives 12 month access, Final 4s, all kinds of stuff.  I loathe domes, and would prefer the Chiefs to stay outdoors, but if the plan is what amounts to a mini amusement park, then it has to be a dome.  A dome would put a massive dent in the Sprint Center, or whatever stupid corporate name it's holding these days.  

I guess a baseline would be Gillette Stadium and the surrounding area, how do they operate and what revenue is generated etc