Chris Jones merged thread

4 hours ago, xen said:

Quickness and speed are 2 different things.  CJ is quickness, strength and technique.

He hasn't had average seasons.  Sacks is a poor way to look at a pass rusher as there is high variance in most pass rushers when it comes to sacks.  He has been a very consistent pressure producer even though, unlike most pass rushers, he has not benefited from complimentary rushing from the rest of the line for the most part.

You and Lamardirts need to go find Doc Brown, hop in the DeLorean and go back about 5 to 10 years so you can be happier with the AAV's.  

Seriously dude, I disagree slightly on this issue and you get cranky.  Go drink some metamucil and take a nap.  First off who was making 26 million dollars a year 5 to 10 years ago?  Two dudes 5 years ago. Jimmy G and Matt Stafford.   Top DT was C. Campbell at 17m.  Top DE was Houston at 20. If I was saying he should be paid 20 million per year then sure but I am not doubting CJ's ability or the need to pay him handsomely.   I am merely pointing out paying him close to AD money is not wise no matter how good he is because anyone outside of a qb making that kind of money handicaps your team to some degree. 

15 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Seriously dude, I disagree slightly on this issue and you get cranky.  Go drink some metamucil and take a nap.  First off who was making 26 million dollars a year 5 to 10 years ago?  Two dudes 5 years ago. Jimmy G and Matt Stafford.   Top DT was C. Campbell at 17m.  Top DE was Houston at 20. If I was saying he should be paid 20 million per year then sure but I am not doubting CJ's ability or the need to pay him handsomely.   I am merely pointing out paying him close to AD money is not wise no matter how good he is because anyone outside of a qb making that kind of money handicaps your team to some degree. 

Who's cranky?

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

9 hours ago, xen said:

CJ just turned 29 a few weeks ago so would be 32 during the year 4 season unless they tack the 4 year deal after this year, which I doubt considering his salary.

AD was still wrecking faces before he got hurt this season at 32.

DT is not a speed based postion so tends to age well.

Q may be ascending but he also hasn't proven that wasn't a one-off season.  We've seen a lot of pass rushers over the years have 1 great season and then fall back to the mean after that (*coughjustinhoustoncough*).

Teams can gameplan around great defensive ends with a quick passing game.  Much harder to do that with a great tackle like AD or CJ. 

Considering how much great ends get, the rising cap and its effect on the market, and the scarceness of the resource, its not crazy money at all.

Wow!  I missed the news flash that Jones hired you as his agent.  Good luck with the commission.  🙂

It will get done soon enough. He has to pay fines if not.

Schefter adds that the Chiefs and Jones’ camp remain far apart on a contract extension. That means the team could be in for a long holdout from Jones and it could be a costly one for the veteran. The new CBA requires a mandatory fine of $50,000 for each missed training camp practice session. If he were to miss the entirety of training camp, the team would be forced to fine him $950,000.

Jones wants his well deserved payday....

Chiefs "apparently" want to pay him and get a "home town" rate that enables them to stay competitive. I am sure they are using MVPat and Kelcinator as examples.

Both sides are "apparently"  trying to do the right thing (IMO-Until I hear or see otherwise) and looking for a compromise.

My only hope is that they get there quickly.

w

1 hour ago, West said:

Chiefs "apparently" want to pay him and get a "home town" rate that enables them to stay competitive. I am sure they are using MVPat and Kelcinator as examples.

Both sides are "apparently"  trying to do the right thing (IMO-Until I hear or see otherwise) and looking for a compromise.

w

I understand getting what you want and deserve , but he is also going to be fined daily for his no-shows

1 hour ago, West said:

w

I would assume it's about the guarantees at this point since they have a framework for AAV.  

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Eeyore is in the house!

Why is it Eeyore?  This is make or break time.  Veach very well could bring all the pieces together.  On the other hand this could be the end of a luck streak where everything fell into place. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Why is it Eeyore?  This is make or break time.  Veach very well could bring all the pieces together.  On the other hand this could be the end of a luck streak where everything fell into place. 

Gloom and doom. He saw this coming. He spoke about it many times in the press.  It takes two to tango

11 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Your hot takes get more ridiculous by the year. 

eeyore-winnie-the-pooh.gif

• The title was changed to Chris Jones merged thread

Andy Reid, Clark Hunt discuss Chris Jones’ absence from Chiefs training camp

Charles Goldman

Sun, July 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM CDT

The Kansas City Chiefs nearly had a full house on Sunday, with only four players absent from their first training camp practice.

One of those players, veteran DT Chris Jones, has not yet reported for training camp as he seeks a long-term contract extension. The First-Team All-Pro defensive tackle is in the final year of his 2020 contract extension with Kansas City. After a lucrative offseason for the defensive tackle position group around the NFL, Jones is looking to cash in on a career year in 2022.

Speaking to reporters after Sunday’s practice, Chiefs HC Andy Reid provided an update on the situation with Jones moving forward.

“As far as Chris (Jones) goes, we’ll just see how things go here down the road,” Reid said. “There have been communications, we’ll see where it goes from here. We’ll take it. If you’re not here, we just keep moving and that’s how we roll. We don’t worry a lot about all that. We let it take care of itself.”

Reid has been quite consistent in worrying about coaching the players who are in attendance at training camp and not worrying about those who aren’t yet on the practice field. He’s taken the same approach throughout his tenure in Kansas City.

As per tradition at the first training camp practice, Chiefs CEO and Chairman Clark Hunt took some time to address the media. After being questioned about Jones’ absence, Hunt emphasized that contract negotiations are strictly on Brett Veach and his staff. He signs the checks, but he’s not directly involved in those conversations.

“I leave that to Brett Veach & his staff,” Hunt said. “I’m not involved in that.”

Hunt also wouldn’t speculate on when or if Jones might report to training camp, but he did say the team would welcome him with open arms at any time.

“We love Chris (Jones) and when he decides to report, we’ll welcome him,” Hunt continued. “I don’t want to get into speculating on when that’ll happen or if that’ll happen.”

There seems to be optimism that Jones will have a new deal. He could report to training camp prior to that deal happening if only to stop the fines. For each practice session missed, Jones will receive a $50K fine as mandated by the NFL and NFLPA’s most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). He’ll be fined $950K total should he miss all of the team’s 2023 training camp practice sessions.

22 minutes ago, xen said:

Your hot takes get more ridiculous by the year. 

eeyore-winnie-the-pooh.gif

Time will tell.  Veach was lucky Mahomes and  Kelce were will to take team deals.  He’s in for a ride awakening keeping this team together.  

29 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Time will tell.  Veach was lucky Mahomes and  Kelce were will to take team deals.  He’s in for a ride awakening keeping this team together.  

1) Trav will have earned over 100m in his career at the end of this contract and plays a depressed value position (right or wrong, it is what it is).

2) Mahomes jumped the AAV of his position by 10m.  It was inevitable that he would be jumped in AAV.

3) no team stays the same year over year.  Change is constant in the NFL.

4) Veach has done a masterful job remaking position groups since he took over, while picking at the end of every round in the draft.  OL, LB, DB.  WR and DL are both WIP.

5) Veach blows up your dumb pronouncements every year, and yet you keep coming back with more.

6) this isn't a Veach problem, it's a you problem, because you're an unhappy person who gets some sort of sado-masochistic enjoyment out of getting yelled at for saying dumb stuff on the internet.

7) your weird hard-on for veach is getting creepy.

4 hours ago, xen said:

1) Trav will have earned over 100m in his career at the end of this contract and plays a depressed value position (right or wrong, it is what it is).

2) Mahomes jumped the AAV of his position by 10m.  It was inevitable that he would be jumped in AAV.

3) no team stays the same year over year.  Change is constant in the NFL.

4) Veach has done a masterful job remaking position groups since he took over, while picking at the end of every round in the draft.  OL, LB, DB.  WR and DL are both WIP.

5) Veach blows up your dumb pronouncements every year, and yet you keep coming back with more.

6) this isn't a Veach problem, it's a you problem, because you're an unhappy person who gets some sort of sado-masochistic enjoyment out of getting yelled at for saying dumb stuff on the internet.

7) your weird hard-on for veach is getting creepy.

No, I will not get off your lawn.  

44 minutes ago, xen said:

Shouldn't you be out watching Barbie for the 10th time instead?

What is that even supposed to mean?  I haven’t seen it but I don’t see how many times I’ve seen a movie has any relevance.  What if I have seen it 10x?