Chris Jones merged thread

53 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

What is that even supposed to mean?  I haven’t seen it but I don’t see how many times I’ve seen a movie has any relevance.  What if I have seen it 10x?  

It's a better use of your time than pretending you're a Chiefs fan or aren't just here trolling.

43 minutes ago, xen said:

It's a better use of your time than pretending you're a Chiefs fan or aren't just here trolling.

Please, explain how I’m pretending.  I doubt the Chiefs, so what.  

10 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Please, explain how I’m pretending.  I doubt the Chiefs, so what.  

If your criticism had even the smell of accuracy or validity, that's fine.  However it smells of trolling, complaining cause you like to complain.  It's certainly not based on available evidence or team results.

20 hours ago, mex said:

Could be CJ just wants to avoid the July heat/humidity and start practice in a few weeks. Can't really blame him.

Yea its not uncommon for vets to do this to avoid camp.  JMO but i think he will be back by the 2nd pre season game with or without a new deal.  Hopefully with. 

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Saw where he is asking 30 mil per season? 

I'm sure he is but asking and getting are 2 different things. That's AD $$ not sure if I see Veach giving him that  I see the end # being #26-28M

Just now, oldtimer said:

I'm sure he is but asking and getting are 2 different things. That's AD $$ not sure if I see Veach giving him that  I see the end # being #26-28M

Like to see it at 26 but with more of it guaranteed. This way he knows he is getting the money and does not crush us with the yearly average.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

We'll see to be sure.  He said a couple months ago he didn't want AD money but just to be the highest paid behind donald.   Players say that quite a bit but when it comes down to it they really do want to reset the market, they just cant publicly say it.  

Right now its all rumors and speculation. Could be length of contract or up front guaranteed money i mean who knows.  I do believe 2 things though, he will be the starter opening night with or without a contract as he knows he cant get the kind of money wants sitting out and BV will do what's best for financial health of the team long term and that may include life without CJ next season. 

If he gets 28 mil or more a year, where does that leave us for Boltin, Smith and Humphries? I am sure Humphries gets retained as he is the guy for PM. Do we then have enough for Bolton? Those two I would want for sure as I think Smith would be the easier one to replace. Would we have enough for those two for sure? If we can only keep one, do we do a Hill scenario and get trades at least? Thoughts?

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

If he gets 28 mil or more a year, where does that leave us for Boltin, Smith and Humphries? I am sure Humphries gets retained as he is the guy for PM. Do we then have enough for Bolton? Those two I would want for sure as I think Smith would be the easier one to replace. Would we have enough for those two for sure? If we can only keep one, do we do a Hill scenario and get trades at least? Thoughts?

What's the projected cap next year?

No dead money for 2024 as far as I can see. 

Might be able to do some things.

the 2024 cap space is @35.6 mil.

If Jones and the Chiefs want to make this work there will have to be some creative contract management for a few players, also Jones has to know that 30 mil APY is not realistic.

Or they could trade him to a bottom dweller and see how happy 30 mil a year will really make him. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

You could make it work.  The following year we have 130+ million in cap space currently.  Structure those 3 with low 1st year hits like we usually do and you could do it.

I think the Chiefs and Jones will get a deal done fairly soon. I'm curious what is holding it up. Chiefs know they are going to have to make Jones at the very least ...the 2nd highest paid DT in the league. But there is a sizeable gap between Donald and Williams. Chiefs probably want to come in just right above Williams. Perhaps CJ wants it to be closer to Donald's deal. We wait and watch.

32 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I think the Chiefs and Jones will get a deal done fairly soon. I'm curious what is holding it up. Chiefs know they are going to have to make Jones at the very least ...the 2nd highest paid DT in the league. But there is a sizeable gap between Donald and Williams. Chiefs probably want to come in just right above Williams. Perhaps CJ wants it to be closer to Donald's deal. We wait and watch.

mexican-standoff-standoff.gif

Looks like a standoff!

I think it gets done eventually.  A lot of posturing right now.

As much as I love Chris Jones, 30 mil is a bit rich. 26? Yeah, I could see it. At some point you put a line in the sand though and if all else fails you tag and trade in the offseason. He's not going to pass on the 21 mil he has coming to him this season to play. 

I hear CJ's reps are asking for $30 million. Wow! Just am having trouble rooting for the guy if this is true. Deals like that jeopardize future deals. Bolton? Sneed? Humphrey? Do we have to let someone walk by paying that extra 4 million per?

12 hours ago, kccrow said:

As much as I love Chris Jones, 30 mil is a bit rich. 26? Yeah, I could see it. At some point you put a line in the sand though and if all else fails you tag and trade in the offseason. He's not going to pass on the 21 mil he has coming to him this season to play. 

He had a career season to use as a bargaining chip, which he obviously is doing. This benefits both CJ and Veach.

What's the worst that can happen? He's got to play this year because if he misses a full season, he won't get the top tier salary he wants.

We could get 3 top 100 picks for him, a la Reek... then use them to trade up for the DT we want. I mean, Veach still holds some cards here, and if CJ's agent is worth his salt, he knows this.

19 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

To be honest I trade his ass. If he will not think of the future and uses that ole excuse have to feed my family then trade him. Now if he will do 25-26 million per I might do that but 30 million? bye bye.

AAV doesn't mean shit, structure and guaranteed $ is everything.  If he just wants to push the AAV you could easily do a contract woth 30m AAV but in actuality somewhere around 26 with money he'd actually earn.  Don't get hung up on the AAV.

alot of people thought that about hill also. You cannot mortgage your future on one player not named mahomes. Building thru the draft is why we win championships not retaining 29 year old DT who want the bank. Do not get me wrong the man is a beast but so was Hill. I would love for him to stick around but I believe we can still win without him.

5 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

alot of people thought that about hill also. You cannot mortgage your future on one player not named mahomes. Building thru the draft is why we win championships not retaining 29 year old DT who want the bank. Do not get me wrong the man is a beast but so was Hill. I would love for him to stick around but I believe we can still win without him.

I hate citing the Patriots, but when they were on their run, they weren't handing out huge contracts like that.  We have one man on this team worthy of a massive contract, and he's so good, that makes everyone else expendable.  Losing CJ would hurt, but money has to be right.  I also worry about his play falling off a cliff in a couple years.  A man that large with superior speed and strength, if it starts to go, it can go fast.  

5 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

It will hurt losing him. No doubt about it. I want him to stay because with him, this is a solid defense for the next 3-5 years. Hope all this is just posturing and avoiding unnecessary (for CJ anyways) practices.

That said, if they can't come to an agreement, I trust Veach. I mean, what choice do we have? :lol: He's done pretty good so far. 

There will be value in trading CJ next year. We've all seen what Andy, Veach & Co can do in a good trade. The Chiefs are in a pretty good spot right now.