Chris Jones merged thread

50 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Not going to be that high. It was 18.9 m this offseason and is projected at around 20.9 next offseason. 

It's the only real option if they don't reach an extension now. 

Not true. It's 120% of his current cap hit.

Chiefs Salary Cap: Chris Jones’ 2024 franchise tag is more than thought - Arrowhead Pride

Just now, arrowhead said:

Thank you, I forgot they changed that in the last CBA.

All-in-all it's not going to make much shit of difference. If they extend him this offseason, they're probably paying him 29-30m in 2024 anyhow. And really, who cares about the tag number? He'd either be extended next year, which might be realistically better for the Chiefs' cap health moving forward, or they'd trade him and dump it anyhow. 

4 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Thank you, I forgot they changed that in the last CBA.

All-in-all it's not going to make much shit of difference. If they extend him this offseason, they're probably paying him 29-30m in 2024 anyhow. And really, who cares about the tag number? He'd either be extended next year, which might be realistically better for the Chiefs' cap health moving forward, or they'd trade him and dump it anyhow. 

Lots of stuff changed with the new CBA

Previously, players holding out of camp would incur fines, which would be forgiven by the team when a new contract is signed. Now, the fines aren't forgiven, so the $50,000 for each missed TC day has to be paid. Not exactly chump change, but that won't hurt Jones too much. 

bag.webp

14 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

Lots of stuff changed with the new CBA

Previously, players holding out of camp would incur fines, which would be forgiven by the team when a new contract is signed. Now, the fines aren't forgiven, so the $50,000 for each missed TC day has to be paid. Not exactly chump change, but that won't hurt Jones too much. 

bag.webp

Man, there were a lot of YEARS I didn't make fitty kay. Sheesh.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

$50 grand is one thing. Game checks are another. Anyone think Jones holds out during the season if they are still at an impasse? What would he gain by doing that?

I'd be surprised if he holds out and misses actual games. The loss of income would quickly cancel out any gains he made through negotiations. Would also set the tone for other teams looking at him, and he'd miss an entire season of practice and games, both lowering his value.

He just missing these early camp practices... he'll be back in time for preseason games. IIRC we've had other key players do this in the past... ie Neil Smith.

6 hours ago, xen said:

Seems pretty optimistic.  Chris has a lot of leverage here though.  He is owed 28 million this year and the tag next year puts his money in the range we apparently don't want to pay plus it freezes that cap money.  He knows making another SB without him is that much harder.  He has surprisingly outplayed that previous deal and deserves a pay raise.  As a fan I always hope he takes a far deal for both sides but I know if I was in his shoes I would want the most I could get.  He has already won 2 SB's and more than likely if he plays well (whether here or elsewhere) a few more years he will be a HOF candidate.  At the end of the day if you have to overpay someone (relatively speaking) he is the guy you want to do that with.   Hope it gets done soon!

CJ is on the trading block..Veach said so

https://arrowheadaddict.com/posts/chiefs-news-team-no-intentions-trading-chris-jones?fbclid=IwAR1EEJkhENu3tQZqV27PAV4Gx39TUJ4OazKZ0UC7aPpM-L977aUvZrcM9KY

On Monday, however, general manager Brett Veach spoke with the Kansas City Star about the fact that Jones was missing in action, and yet he not only admitted his defensive star deserved big money but that eventually the team would pay it. Veach also stated that the team had "no intentions" of trading Jones.

“I think for all parties, I think the best resolution would be for him to end his career as a Chief — and get that financial security — and for us to do what we had set out to do, and that’s to work through last offseason with this offseason in mind and get some young guys, which we did that, and then focus on this year and getting Chris done,” Veach said. “Hopefully, we get this resolved, but we have no intentions of making a trade.”

What makes Veach's statement even more positive is that he referenced trading Tyreek Hill a year ago and says he did so with the idea of having the money to keep Jones for the long haul even then. That means the Chiefs' plans have included keeping Jones around for the rest of his playing career—-and they've been that way for quite some time.

PAY THE MAN!....This is one of the most frequent comments I have seen in social media regarding CJ. 

What makes people think the Chiefs DON'T want to pay Jones? Should they pay him whatever he asks? What if he wanted 32 million per? (Higher than Donald) would they still say that?

Also people act like if he doesn't get signed to an extension then the Chiefs' chances of another SB are gone. He will play this year with or without an extension. However, if the unthinkable happens and he is traded.....that changes everything. I believe Veach wants to keep CJ....but at any cost? Only Mahomes deserves that caveat.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I see on several Chiefs Fan FB pages that come up on my feed..seem people are getting a bit fed up with all this and most of their fedupness is directed to CJ

People are morons and barely understand what they're watching besides "touchdown good".  They don't have much of an idea of the importance of CJ to this team, don't understand contracts, always blame the player in any negotiation, and are generally loudmouth dipshits spouting off on the internet about stuff they they don't bother to learn about.  You'll have to excuse me if I ignore the background noise.

Just now, xen said:

People are morons and barely understand what they're watching besides "touchdown good".  They don't have much of an idea of the importance of CJ to this team, don't understand contracts, always blame the player in any negotiation, and are generally loudmouth dipshits spouting off on the internet about stuff they they don't bother to learn about.  You'll have to excuse me if I ignore the background noise.

Present company excluded of course.  Well most of you anyway 😃

36 minutes ago, xen said:

morons or not it's public opinion not that their opinion matters. th?id=OIP.uGvpHzzVgF6xaEnxARa62gAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180