Chris Jones merged thread

3 hours ago, xen said:

People are morons and barely understand what they're watching besides "touchdown good".  They don't have much of an idea of the importance of CJ to this team, don't understand contracts, always blame the player in any negotiation, and are generally loudmouth dipshits spouting off on the internet about stuff they they don't bother to learn about.  You'll have to excuse me if I ignore the background noise.

It’s all part of the plan.  

If Jones doesn't show up to camp by the preseason game ....he loses a game check. Close to a million dollars. What would be the point of holding out and doing that? He needs to report by around preseason game #2 in order to have enough time to get into "game shape" for the regular season. It makes zero sense for him to miss games. Veach said they won't trade CJ. Also said they want to get a deal done. CJ says he wants to remain a Chief. Let's get this done and avoid the distraction it brings.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

If Jones doesn't show up to camp by the preseason game ....he loses a game check. Close to a million dollars. What would be the point of holding out and doing that? He needs to report by around preseason game #2 in order to have enough time to get into "game shape" for the regular season. It makes zero sense for him to miss games. Veach said they won't trade CJ. Also said they want to get a deal done. CJ says he wants to remain a Chief. Let's get this done and avoid the distraction it brings.

Jones has his ego.  Veach has his bottom line.  Jones's agent has his agenda.  In the end, the deal will be done or Jones will play out his contract.  Either way, Jones will have incentive to play at a high level again this season.

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

Jones has his ego.  Veach has his bottom line.  Jones's agent has his agenda.  In the end, the deal will be done or Jones will play out his contract.  Either way, Jones will have incentive to play at a high level again this season.

Absolutely 100% correct. 

Funny how the talking heads can so easily say, "Just give the man his money" without even considering the upcoming contracts for Sneed, Humphrey, Smith, Bolton, etc.  Veach has the big picture and if paying Jones means losing other key players, then he has to decide if keeping Jones is worth it.  As the Hill trade proved, no one player is indispensable.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Funny how the talking heads can so easily say, "Just give the man his money" without even considering the upcoming contracts for Sneed, Humphrey, Smith, Bolton, etc.  Veach has the big picture and if paying Jones means losing other key players, then he has to decide if keeping Jones is worth it.  As the Hill trade proved, no one player is indispensable.  

Well any player not named Mahomes.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The hill trade proved mahomes didn't need Hill.  Defense is a different animal and so much of what we are able to do on D is predicated off CJ and what he's able to do.  Even when he's not collecting sacks he's disrupting gameplans.  Are we even sure we get to the superbowl last year without CJ in the Cinci playoff game?  I'm not.

8 minutes ago, xen said:

The hill trade proved mahomes didn't need Hill.  Defense is a different animal and so much of what we are able to do on D is predicated off CJ and what he's able to do.  Even when he's not collecting sacks he's disrupting gameplans.  Are we even sure we get to the superbowl last year without CJ in the Cinci playoff game?  I'm not.

CJ already gave them a deal w his first contract backloading, now he wants to be paid.  Nothing to do w ego, he deserves to be paid and I’m not sure Veach accounted for that.  I’ll listen to former players or “talking heads” any day.  

38 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

CJ already gave them a deal w his first contract backloading, now he wants to be paid.  Nothing to do w ego, he deserves to be paid and I’m not sure Veach accounted for that.  I’ll listen to former players or “talking heads” any day.  

When he signed the extension, he was the 2nd highest paid defensive lineman in the NFL.  By last year, he slipped to 4th because of the inflation in the market.  Now he's 9th.  Now as the market has changed we are looking at another extension.  It's not like he wasn't paid.  He was.