Chris Jones merged thread

16 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

So Veach didn’t see inflation coming?  It’s nothing new.  We lose CJ we 💯 can’t repeat.  Fact.

Not fact. The same was said about Hill. If he is getting greedy trade him to a bottom dweller and let him get paid on a losing team.  I think Sneed and Bolton and Humphry and Smith are more important than Jones. 

On 8/9/2023 at 8:27 AM, xen said:

People are morons and barely understand what they're watching besides "touchdown good".  They don't have much of an idea of the importance of CJ to this team, don't understand contracts, always blame the player in any negotiation, and are generally loudmouth dipshits spouting off on the internet about stuff they they don't bother to learn about.  You'll have to excuse me if I ignore the background noise.

Your excused. I am on the bandwagon of let him walk. Just my opinion. The only player worth mortgaging the future on is Mahomes. 

2 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

Your excused. I am on the bandwagon of let him walk. Just my opinion. The only player worth mortgaging the future on is Mahomes. 

I'm pretty sure no one mentioned the mortgaging of the future but just showing him the door without compensation of draft picks in plain lunacy.. 

Just now, oldtimer said:

I'm pretty sure no one mentioned the mortgaging of the future but just showing him the door without compensation of draft picks in plain lunacy.. 

Oh I agree. But you pay him 30 million a year to me you are mortgaging the future 

1 hour ago, arthur75 said:

Not fact. The same was said about Hill. If he is getting greedy trade him to a bottom dweller and let him get paid on a losing team.  I think Sneed and Bolton and Humphry and Smith are more important than Jones. 

Not more important but with him being traded it allows us to extend them and go after another option next year in FA. Plus we get the benefit of high picks too.

Thing is, is the risk. Jones is our d line. Without him we have to be very good on the offense because we slide back to a bottom dweller on the defensive side like we did our 1st sb run. 28 mil or whatever freed up in FA and with high picks that hit, veach would be a total God here if it worked. Better then to fire him for sure. 

38 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Not more important but with him being traded it allows us to extend them and go after another option next year in FA. Plus we get the benefit of high picks too.

Thing is, is the risk. Jones is our d line. Without him we have to be very good on the offense because we slide back to a bottom dweller on the defensive side like we did our 1st sb run. 28 mil or whatever freed up in FA and with high picks that hit, veach would be a total God here if it worked. Better then to fire him for sure. 

Pats traded Seymour when he was 29 and used the compensation to help win 3 more SBs.   Jones will play this year  as he isn't leaving 20 mill on the table that he won't get back.  Win it again tag trade in the off season then use the picks and money saved to sign our guys and rebuild the line.  

I don't think tag and trade will get the Chiefs much.  How much would a team give up to get a 30 y.o. DT who costs $30+ million and has to negotiate a new deal?  It would be like the Chiefs overpaying a Clark type in 2019 only much older.  If Jones was to be traded, it should have been before this year's draft and while the market was lower.  The real question now is what Jones can get next season after playing out this contract.

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I don't think tag and trade will get the Chiefs much.  How much would a team give up to get a 30 y.o. DT who costs $30+ million and has to negotiate a new deal?  It would be like the Chiefs overpaying a Clark type in 2019 only much older.  If Jones was to be traded, it should have been before this year's draft and while the market was lower.  The real question now is what Jones can get next season after playing out this contract.

True. But if you get a 2nd or maybe a first and a lower pick you take it and sign some FA then hit a couple in the draft. I might be wrong its happened once or twice but my gut says trade while you can get something and use the money to resign several very good players for the Chiefs.

2 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

True. But if you get a 2nd or maybe a first and a lower pick you take it and sign some FA then hit a couple in the draft. I might be wrong its happened once or twice but my gut says trade while you can get something and use the money to resign several very good players for the Chiefs.

Jones might not bring in a first at this point.  Who has the cap space to pay out that kind of money and is willing to give up their top pick for someone Jones's age?  I think that ship has sailed.  Jones playing for a future contract might be the best the Chiefs can do for this season.  

2 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Pats traded Seymour when he was 29 and used the compensation to help win 3 more SBs.   Jones will play this year  as he isn't leaving 20 mill on the table that he won't get back.  Win it again tag trade in the off season then use the picks and money saved to sign our guys and rebuild the line.  

The Pats got back a 2011 first round pick in that 2009 trade, used on Nate Solder who was an ok to good tackle at various times in his career.  They traded Seymour cause both him and Vince Wilfork were up for FA and could only afford to pay 1.  They spent the next few years signing every over the hill pass rusher they could find to compensate for not having Seymour.  The comp from that trade did not propel them to win 3 more superbowls, some good drafting with other picks, like Gronk, did.  Plus you know, Brady.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Jones might not bring in a first at this point.  Who has the cap space to pay out that kind of money and is willing to give up their top pick for someone Jones's age?  I think that ship has sailed.  Jones playing for a future contract might be the best the Chiefs can do for this season.  

I don't know about that.  Game wreckers at DT are almost impossible to find and they don't become available in their prime.

26 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't know about that.  Game wreckers at DT are almost impossible to find and they don't become available in their prime.

Agree, but trading a first round pick for an expensive 30 y.o. doesn't make sense except for a QB or a starting OT.  That's not to take away from Jones's importance for the Chiefs.  Just stating an opinion that his trade value at this point of the year isn't that high when he's demanding A.D. type of money. 

26 minutes ago, xen said:

The Pats got back a 2011 first round pick in that 2009 trade, used on Nate Solder who was an ok to good tackle at various times in his career.  They traded Seymour cause both him and Vince Wilfork were up for FA and could only afford to pay 1.  They spent the next few years signing every over the hill pass rusher they could find to compensate for not having Seymour.  The comp from that trade did not propel them to win 3 more superbowls, some good drafting with other picks, like Gronk, did.  Plus you know, Brady.

I probably over stated what they did with the comp.  Seymour was the only guy i could think of that might be a close comp to the situation with Jones.   I read what turned out to be a fluff piece on the brillance of hoodie in that trade.  My mistake on that.  

We won't get a first for him next year.  Maybe a 2nd and 4th?

1 hour ago, xen said:

facts have no place in emotional arguments

4 hours ago, xen said:

Patriots are also proven cheaters.  While they’re “savy” free agency tactics or whatever you want to call it helped they got away with a lot of bs.  The Chiefs are not cheaters.

33 minutes ago, Joe_Chief said:

He's going to report after camp.  He tweeted as much to a fan today. Basically saying he's under contract for the year, and let's enjoy the year.  Much ado about nuffin at this point.

Glass half empty.  He knows he has to play.  Doesn’t sound like he’s intending on taking less money but will make the most of this last season.  Hopefully he doesn’t get hurt.  

5 hours ago, xen said:

While a good point, fact remains they still won 3 more SBs without Seymour. Proof positive that you can do it without one guy, so long as that guy isn't your QB.