Chris Jones merged thread

3 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Veach said he wasn’t paying Hill what he asked for bc of this situation.  CJ stated he’ll never play for another franchise.  Unless CJ went back on his word then I’m backing him.  I think Veach is short balling him.

I assume you have no idea of what the Chiefs have offered Jones.  I also assume that you have no clue what Jones is demanding to sign an extension.  What we can assume is that Jones has agents who want to sign a flashy contract so they can induce more players to sign with them.  Jones will play in KC this year.  His value next year could be lower due to age and contract demands.  If Jones really wants to play out his career in KC, he'll agree to something in the $26-27 million/yr. range.  If he listens to his agents, and their priority is to wow the other players with their negotiating prowess, he'll play out this season and test FA.  I don't see many teams who will give a 30+ y.o. DT a long term contract for $30 million.  

Feels like the keep Jones, trade Jones argument is pointless. It's stupid to overpay for Jones while it's stupid to let him go for market value. Until we know some solid figures I don't think either argument has too much merit.

If we are discussing the necessity of Jones at market value, then it's a huge mistake to let him go IMO.

8 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Boom Mic Drop

But but but they are just talking heads.  Key word…miscalculation.

Not really a mic drop and without any numbers or details its kinda hard to say any miscalculation took place.   

My only issue with CJ is his age. If he was 26 id have no problem giving him AD money and maybe a bit more but at 29 you run a real risk of the pay not matching the production when it gets into yrs 3 n 4.   JMO but I'm guessing it has less to do with money and more into the length and structure.  Not blaming CJ either for playing the only card he has in holding out.  

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

I assume you have no idea of what the Chiefs have offered Jones.  I also assume that you have no clue what Jones is demanding to sign an extension.  What we can assume is that Jones has agents who want to sign a flashy contract so they can induce more players to sign with them.  Jones will play in KC this year.  His value next year could be lower due to age and contract demands.  If Jones really wants to play out his career in KC, he'll agree to something in the $26-27 million/yr. range.  If he listens to his agents, and their priority is to wow the other players with their negotiating prowess, he'll play out this season and test FA.  I don't see many teams who will give a 30+ y.o. DT a long term contract for $30 million.  

It will be the 28 to 29 million dollar range imo. The part that will matter is how the team can protect itself with a cuttable type year and what guaranteed money there is. Maybe a 3 year deal with a 4th option?

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

It will be the 28 to 29 million dollar range imo. The part that will matter is how the team can protect itself with a cuttable type year and what guaranteed money there is. Maybe a 3 year deal with a 4th option?

True.  It's all about the guaranteed money.  But for bragging rights, the average salary per year is what's talked about.  Whether Jones gets $26 million or $30 million won't make one bit of difference in his life.  But his ego and his agents' selling points can still throw a wrench in the works of the negotiations.  

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

if he ends up playing this year since he is under contract and then the chiefs tag him next year he will make at least $33 Million 😱

And at 33 mil they get a chance to sign or trade before the draft. I would be fine with this because he is another year older and another year gone on the wrong side of 30.

30 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

And at 33 mil they get a chance to sign or trade before the draft. I would be fine with this because he is another year older and another year gone on the wrong side of 30.

just say no to $33M on another tag..makes him all but untradeable. 

20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

just say no to $33M on another tag..makes him all but untradeable. 

He can lower his demands when he signs a 4 year 30 mil per year with a contract negotiation. It won't be set until stone as he can negotiate with another team before signing it etc

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

He can lower his demands when he signs a 4 year 30 mil per year with a contract negotiation. It won't be set until stone as he can negotiate with another team before signing it etc

I have my doubts that's the way it'd work out and the Chiefs get any pic(s) worth a hoot

17 hours ago, xen said:

bro you're not gonna win anyone over by dropping a Mike Florio take.  

@arrowheadyou got any opinions on Mike Florio?

Just a sports talking head I guess who’s made a career of it on a big network.  Doesn’t know shit ….what about the actual football player across from him?  Not the old glory days of football geniuses the likes of you.  🥸

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I think OTs point is other teams might see it like Veach. CJ is good, maybe the best... and he can definitely help out for a few more years. But is he worth all he's asking? If he's not willing to sign with his own SB contender team, really doubt he'd be willing to sign on the same terms for someone else. Maybe there is someone out there willing to go 30 million on a long contract. That's his gamble. If his agent is worth his salt... he's giving him both sides of the story. 

I still expect they'll sign a deal right before the season starts. He doesn't need to be playing preseason nor going to camp practices, as long as he's in shape, which Andy says he is. 

2 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Just a sports talking head I guess who’s made a career of it on a big network.  Doesn’t know shit ….what about the actual football player across from him?  Not the old glory days of football geniuses the likes of you.  🥸

Is this why all your takes are dumb?  You get your opinions from a douchebag lawyer like florio and dumb sites like arrowhead addict?  There are much smarter analysts out there if you want to take time to learn.

And I've been on the pay CJ bandwagon from the start so go sell it somewhere else. 

10 hours ago, xen said:

Is this why all your takes are dumb?  You get your opinions from a douchebag lawyer like florio and dumb sites like arrowhead addict?  There are much smarter analysts out there if you want to take time to learn.

And I've been on the pay CJ bandwagon from the start so go sell it somewhere else. 

Here’s a shock. Mr EV likes florio. Who could’ve ever guessed that??  

9 hours ago, Calichief said:

Florio is a dipshit. He is also a notorious chiefs hater. Regarding kc, he’s never said one thing that is correct, unbiased, or remotely educated. 

Still waiting for the Mahomes extension that' he said was going to happen.  Still waiting for him to keep his word and walk away like he said he would if Tyreek played another down.   

Sept 7th can't get here fast enough.