Chris Jones merged thread

3 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

I know I’m late to the party…. But I think this all gets resolved one way or another today or tomorrow.

My personal theory this whole time is that CJ is a veteran that didn’t wanna deal with training camp, and used his contract to get out of it.  Now he needs a couple weeks to get in game shape and learn new plays, so it’s time.  

My gut tells me he’s just been “negotiating” as a stall tactic and now that it’s time to return, is gonna take what we offer is on the table at this point…

Don’t get me wrong…. I love the guy and hope he figures out something with the Chiefs,  let’s be honest…. Doesn’t CJ just seem to be the kind of dude that would value hanging out with his buddies and not going to hot, tough training camp practices more than the million or so he will lose in fines?  

Like the rest of you…. We shall see soon…

I like the sound of your optimism. 

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

I'd be willing to be he's just trolling.  He'll be playing in the opener imo.

Could be his agent telling him to do things like that tweet.  If he wants his bag sitting out till week 8 and probably not having a great year then turning 30 before next year aint the way to go about it.  

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

I understand sitting out is the only leverage CJ has to try to get the Chiefs to get the deal done. But at what point is CJ hurting himself? I think he is right up against it now.

he said his motivation this year was DPOTY not a SB ...maybe he is that self centered? Wont get DPOTY sitting out 8 games.

Fun Fact ..Week 8 is Oct 29. Trade Deadline is Oct 31

Chris Jones tells fan when he plans to end contract holdout and return to Chiefs

BY PETE GRATHOFF UPDATED AUGUST 22, 2023 2:43 PM

There’s been little known publicly about how negotiations have gone between the Chiefs and defensive lineman Chris Jones, but we may have gotten some insight Tuesday. The two sides apparently aren’t close to a deal. Jones, who has one year left on his contract but is holding out for a new deal, accumulated more than $1 million in fines by missing all of training camp ($50,000 per day, per the CBA). The Chiefs’ regular-season opener is a little more than two weeks away and Jones indicated he won’t be at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium when the Chiefs play the Lions.  A fan on X (formerly Twitter) asked Jones when he plans to return to the team, and Jones said Week 8 of the regular season. The Chiefs blog Arrowhead Pride noted Jones would forfeit $1,083,333 for each game he missed. He has a base salary of $19.5 million. That would be a lot of money to give up, as someone pointed out to Jones, but he said he could afford it. Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was asked Tuesday at what point he worries about Jones being prepared for the season. “I don’t think Chris is any different than any other player that misses the entire camp and then has to play. It’s tough,” Spagnuolo said. “I mean, you certainly can’t expect that particular person as good as Chris is to play every down. And then you worry about injuries, is the body ready? Chris always keeps himself in good shape. But football shape’s different. So hopefully we can get him back, right?” At that point, Spagnuolo crossed his fingers. “And then when that happens,” Spagnuolo said, “we just have to figure out how to go about it.” GAMES JONES COULD MISS Here are the first seven games of the season for the Chiefs and the ones Jones could miss if he holds true to his response to the fan.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article278495464.html#storylink=cpy

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

he said his motivation this year was DPOTY not a SB ...maybe he is that self centered? Wont get DPOTY sitting out 8 games.

Fun Fact ..Week 8 is Oct 29. Trade Deadline is Oct 31

But why sit out 8 games? Is there something magical about that number? Does it have to do with qualifying years of eligibility crap? I do know this. If Jones sits out games he will lose money, he will lose opportunity to build his case (possibly for another team) and he will lose fan support.

Perhaps he cares nothing for any of it.

5 minutes ago, dhitter said:

But why sit out 8 games? Is there something magical about that number? Does it have to do with qualifying years of eligibility crap? I do know this. If Jones sits out games he will lose money, he will lose opportunity to build his case (possibly for another team) and he will lose fan support.

Perhaps he cares nothing for any of it.

I think so and from other comments on various websites I have seen..fan support is now pretty much going away  and if he does not show for Game one .  BYE, FELICIA | What Does BYE, FELICIA Mean?

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I think so and from other comments on various websites I have seen..fan support is now pretty much going away  and if he does not show for Game one .  BYE, FELICIA | What Does BYE, FELICIA Mean?

It’s starting to wear me down now too.  Maybe Veach saw this all along and knew CJ was going to try and hold Chiefs over the coals.  What a total idiotic way to go about getting paid.  He’s earned it but this is not how to win your case.

2 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Could be his agent telling him to do things like that tweet.  If he wants his bag sitting out till week 8 and probably not having a great year then turning 30 before next year aint the way to go about it.  

Then his agent is a DUMBASS, the fanbase is beginning to turn on him after this BS today. I am fine with trading his ass like we did with Hill, besides if we pay him then we could lose a player like Creed, Trey Smith or others.

Would someone explain to me >cough xen, cough< what happens to the money we would have owed him if he sits out while under contract? I mean, if the team has him under contract, he's legally obliged to play. If he chooses not to, seems like they should be able to keep that money. Over 8 games, that's almost 9,000,000 we could sign several needed players for that.

3 minutes ago, mex said:

Would someone explain to me >cough xen, cough< what happens to the money we would have owed him if he sits out while under contract? I mean, if the team has him under contract, he's legally obliged to play. If he chooses not to, seems like they should be able to keep that money. Over 8 games, that's almost 9,000,000 we could sign several needed players for that.

Wondering the same thing.  Also, it Jones reported to the team one day before the Lions game but was obviously not ready to play, would the Chiefs still owe him a game check for that week?  My impression of this whole thing is that his agents have used Jones.  They want to build a reputation for getting maximum $$$ for their short client list in hopes of getting more to sign with them.  Jones has played into their hands to his own disadvantage.  All he has to do is play out this year and then test the market if he thinks he deserves AD money.  Missing games will cost him in the long run. 

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Wondering the same thing.  Also, it Jones reported to the team one day before the Lions game but was obviously not ready to play, would the Chiefs still owe him a game check for that week?  My impression of this whole thing is that his agents have used Jones.  They want to build a reputation for getting maximum $$$ for their short client list in hopes of getting more to sign with them.  Jones has played into their hands to his own disadvantage.  All he has to do is play out this year and then test the market if he thinks he deserves AD money.  Missing games will cost him in the long run. 

They sure don't have many big name clients... Chris would be their biggest name, by far. 

Screenshot (56).png

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

Then his agent is a DUMBASS, the fanbase is beginning to turn on him after this BS today. I am fine with trading his ass like we did with Hill, besides if we pay him then we could lose a player like Creed, Trey Smith or others.

Oh i agree but agents will use any and every means necessary to get their client paid.  Dunno if its a bluff or not to pressure KC but as others have said his agent is pretty small time and is probably using CJ to boost his reputation and his client list.   

He's already lost a million dollars just by missing camp. Takes me 10 years of working my ass off to make that.

If he misses 8 games, he'll end up losing out on what... almost 10 million total?

I'd sure like to know what his offer was... 

16 minutes ago, mex said:

He's already lost a million dollars just by missing camp. Takes me 10 years of working my ass off to make that.

If he misses 8 games, he'll end up losing out on what... almost 10 million total?

I'd sure like to know what his offer was... 

I’ll bet it was more than fair and just compensation for his play. At this point it’s all about ego. 

It does seems counterproductive to hold out into the season.  Unless Veach caves and gives into his demands, which seems highly unlikely after the Hill situation, then he is only hurting his value for next year. He can still get a good, maybe even great, contract at the age of 30, but he will have to have another good year to do that.  Holding out into the season not only hurts the chances of that but it also costs him chunks of this years contract.  Time will tell.  I still think it gets done this week.   I am with y'all though.  The longer this drags out the worse it is for him.

Also, I don't believe Pat and Travis took less so a guy like CJ could be overpaid.  I believe they made some sacrifices (if you can call it that) so the team could afford to retain its players not overpay them.