Chris Jones merged thread

6 hours ago, mex said:

He's already lost a million dollars just by missing camp. Takes me 10 years of working my ass off to make that.

If he misses 8 games, he'll end up losing out on what... almost 10 million total?

I'd sure like to know what his offer was... 

You'd have to think the gap between the Chiefs offer and Jones's asking price was so great that he felt he could afford to lose 8-10 million dollars and still come out ahead in the long run. Otherwise it makes zero sense. 

50 minutes ago, mex said:

I mean, that's a lot... but if the contract is 5 years we're only talking 2 mil per in guaranteed money to quibble about. That's not all that much these days but I see your point.

At first I thought CJ was just wanting to avoid the hot days of camp. But if he's willing to sit out 8 games... it's gotta be WAY more than that. Unless his agent is a complete moron.

CJ has his rings, and he's at the apex of his career coming off an absolute dominant performance in the playoffs. Can't blame him for focusing on the bag. 

That said, can't blame the fans for being critical either. We all act in our own best interest.

I trust Veach to do what's in the best long-term interest of the team. That's what the fans expect.

Personally, I think freeing up the $$ to solidify the future OL is way more important than one defensive lineman, even if he is all-world. 

Because our QB is all-universe... a once-in-a-lifetime player 10 times more valuable to this team than CJ. 3/5th of the OL is coming up for contracts. Gotta think that's what Veach is thinking about. Plus, our secondary will be more experienced, as will our LB corps and DL, and Veach also has THOSE guys to think about. That's a tough draw I don't care who you are.

CJ is still under contract. A contract which he happily endorsed. Not playing out his contract is a big fuck you to the organization and to the fans. So I can't blame the front office nor the fans for being pissed.

By mid-season, there will be contenders who need a good interior defensive lineman. If CJ sits out, we ought to be able to trade and get some draft picks, while freeing up the cap dollars to land a temp replacement.

JMHO

/\ What mex said /\ 

For those who say, "Just give him the money, He's worth it." I would respond by asking if the Eric Berry and Justin Houston contracts were worth the money.  Jones could very well get his money and never have another year like 2022.  Veach has a history of having a limit and not going over it.  Jones's agents apparently won't come down to that limit so no deal.  The Chiefs have the advantage.  Either Jones plays or he loses big money.  The Chiefs MIGHT miss a few wins but that's not certain.  Trading Jones for a top draft pick might be just as good as trading Hill for essentially two starters.  My guess (subject to change) is that Jones reports too late to play effectively in early games but before missing out on game checks.  To hold out longer is self destructive.  

Yep the long this drags out the worse it looks for CJ, unless the Chiefs are lowballing him which we don't know.  Would have to imagine that if that were the case it would have been leaked by his reps.  I have a feeling this is an agent with very few big names and this is a big score for them and they aren't giving CJ the best advice.  Miss TC is one thing but screwing around with your contract year season is another.  Chiefs could let it play out which is what it looks like and if he has a lack luster year while turning 30.  He might get that bag but it might be on a dumpster fire team to finish out his career.   Time will tell.  Yikes I thought this would have been done weeks ago.  I was big time wrong.

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

For those who say, "Just give him the money, He's worth it." I would respond by asking if the Eric Berry and Justin Houston contracts were worth the money.  Jones could very well get his money and never have another year like 2022. 

Larry Johnson 

25 minutes ago, dhitter said:

The whole " unless Veach/Chiefs are low balling" thing really is puzzling. Does Veach have a history of low balling players? Is that his reputation? We need look no further than the last two big contract deals he was involved with....Orlando Brown Jr and Tyreek Hill. Both were offered solid deals. They were looking to set the market so it didn't work out. I'm guessing this is a similar script.

that's an uniformed question. Veach is already on record saying  CJ deserves to be paid like he deserves but there has to be a line.

Pigs get fat & Hogs get slaughtered..CJ/ agent is turning CJ into a Hog

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

For those who say, "Just give him the money, He's worth it." I would respond by asking if the Eric Berry and Justin Houston contracts were worth the money.  Jones could very well get his money and never have another year like 2022.  Veach has a history of having a limit and not going over it.  Jones's agents apparently won't come down to that limit so no deal.  The Chiefs have the advantage.  Either Jones plays or he loses big money.  The Chiefs MIGHT miss a few wins but that's not certain.  Trading Jones for a top draft pick might be just as good as trading Hill for essentially two starters.  My guess (subject to change) is that Jones reports too late to play effectively in early games but before missing out on game checks.  To hold out longer is self destructive.  

Let him sit and when he comes back in the middle of the year bench him for the rest. To me this whole get your money why you can shit just irritates me to no end. These fuckers are getting paid a stupid amount to play a game. This  greedy way of thinking is what kills teams. I say thank him for his time in KC and then trade his greedy ass. 

10 hours ago, dhitter said:

You'd have to think the gap between the Chiefs offer and Jones's asking price was so great that he felt he could afford to lose 8-10 million dollars and still come out ahead in the long run. Otherwise it makes zero sense. 

He states he cannot afford it. Then why not take the deal if it is close to what you are asking? If this goes to week 8, I hope we trade him before that. Get a team with multiple 1st round picks (Bears, not in our conference too) or a very high likely top 10 pick and go from there on what else we can get. Use FA money for a (couple) good DT and picks then as needed. Sign our o line too.

15 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

He states he cannot afford it. Then why not take the deal if it is close to what you are asking? If this goes to week 8, I hope we trade him before that. Get a team with multiple 1st round picks (Bears, not in our conference too) or a very high likely top 10 pick and go from there on what else we can get. Use FA money for a (couple) good DT and picks then as needed. Sign our o line too.

Maybe Cleveland. Let OBJ and his squad worry about him.

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

The whole " unless Veach/Chiefs are low balling" thing really is puzzling. Does Veach have a history of low balling players? Is that his reputation? We need look no further than the last two big contract deals he was involved with....Orlando Brown Jr and Tyreek Hill. Both were offered solid deals. They were looking to set the market so it didn't work out. I'm guessing this is a similar script.

The more I read and hear about it the more I think CJ has been poisoned by his agent.  Too bad, I’m sure he’s been offered a fair shake but wants more.  Really really disappointed and could ultimately cost Mahomes and the Chiefs a SB run.  

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

who's HE and Afford what? he (CJ) said he COULD afford holding out till week 8 if that's what your referring to

This spring, I proposed trading Jones if he wasn't close to signing a deal.  The board came down on me like I'd proposed murdering kids or something.  That ship has sailed.  The Chiefs would be very lucky to get even a mid first for him at this point.  Jones may be at the top of his position group, but DT isn't a premium position.  Like Hill, the talking heads would write off the Chiefs if Jones is gone.  Like Hill, the Chiefs could improvise their way to another very successful year..  Trade Jones, sign Sneed, Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith.  

I have moved to the "fuck that guy" camp.  I love CJ as a player, but nobody is bigger than the team.  Except Pat, Maybe.  Trade his ass and let some other team mortgage their future for a DT about to be in his 30's.  It would definitely be a loss, because dominant pass rushing DT's are rare, but if I were Veach I wouldnt be held hostage by the guy.

I don't mind a player getting his money (within reason obviously) and I understand CJ earlier this summer trying to force his hand.

Right now, he is leveraging the Chiefs opportunity to repeat, the opportunity potentially to host a 6th straight AFC championship game, and his teammates season for what?  A few million dollars?  Sure that sounds like a lot but he has already lost over a million and if he sits until week 8 he will have probably lost more than what he is holding out for gains him.  Its a lose lose situation for him.   There is fine line of the locker room questioning the Organization's willingness to pay their own and a guy just being greedy and selfish.  Veach has shown that he will pony up for good players but he won't overpay.  At the root of holding out past this point is the hope that the Chiefs lose games because he sits out and forces them to pony up.   So he gets his money, but in the process the team suffers and his actions potentially hurt the chances of repeating and doing something truly historic.  I'm saying this with the assumption that Veach has offered a contract within a few million of AD's.  

Again he deserves to get paid stupid amounts of money to play a game and I don't think many of us care but holding out when you are already under contract in a very important year is not a great look.  It also sets a precedence for future contracts.  I don't look for the Chiefs to budge.  Either CJ will take the offer or sit out or whatever he will do and if he chooses that path then we could be in for bumpy year trying to repeat.

31 minutes ago, Joe_Chief said:

I have moved to the "fuck that guy" camp.  I love CJ as a player, but nobody is bigger than the team.  Except Pat, Maybe.  Trade his ass and let some other team mortgage their future for a DT about to be in his 30's.  It would definitely be a loss, because dominant pass rushing DT's are rare, but if I were Veach I wouldnt be held hostage by the guy.

seemed to verbatim what I have read as the prevailing thought on some sites

39 minutes ago, jetlord said:

This spring, I proposed trading Jones if he wasn't close to signing a deal.  The board came down on me like I'd proposed murdering kids or something.  That ship has sailed.  The Chiefs would be very lucky to get even a mid first for him at this point.  Jones may be at the top of his position group, but DT isn't a premium position.  Like Hill, the talking heads would write off the Chiefs if Jones is gone.  Like Hill, the Chiefs could improvise their way to another very successful year..  Trade Jones, sign Sneed, Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith.  

I did as well back in December of 2022 and I got the exact same reaction.

If he was tagged and not actually under mutually agreed contract, I may have more sympathy for him. He is under contract. Not showing up is a bad look at this point. I’d trade him or let him walk, whatever is possible. If he comes back midseason and isn’t up to snuff physically and gets hurt, he does KC and himself no favors short or long term.

I can only assume he wants to be the highest paid guy on defense in the league and someone told him he can get it somewhere.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

who's HE and Afford what? he (CJ) said he COULD afford holding out till week 8 if that's what your referring to

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

CJ said it and he can afford to sit out to week 8.