Chris Jones merged thread

1 hour ago, arthur75 said:

F-That. He wants to play hard ball lets play. Lets see how much your next contract is worth with no playing time.  

Its business you can't let it get personal.   He can help KC go back to back.  I guarantee you Andy and the team will care more about that than his contract offer.  

Feel like we have been here before, CJ and his agents are gambling and so far the results are not good for either side. He said all the right things at the beginning because they hoped to sway Veach to give him THE BAG, but we all know Veach and his mode of operation. He is going to do what is best for the Chiefs and if it happens to keep the player happy then that is a bonus. We all know that other players are going to want to be paid next year and not every player is like TK or PM and will leave money on the table to help keep the team together, and it is evident that CJ is concerned about himself first and foremost and he has that right but now he is acting like a spoiled child and says he is not going to show up till week eight!  

This is not going to get him to the destination he and his agents wanted, next year he can be a FA but also a year older and he will definitely not get THE BAG he wanted either, not sure what the end game is but i feel the chiefs are playing it the right way (not like Irsay and the colts with JT)

33 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

anyone else think the real holdup here is Jones wants to be payed as the #1 DT in the league. Meanwhile Mahomes and Kelce are on team friendly deals. Veach probably doesn't think its right to Kelce and Mahomes for Jones not to take a small discount as well. Just a theory.

Yeah, that’s been what I’ve thinking the past few days. 

14 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

anyone else think the real holdup here is Jones wants to be payed as the #1 DT in the league. Meanwhile Mahomes and Kelce are on team friendly deals. Veach probably doesn't think its right to Kelce and Mahomes for Jones not to take a small discount as well. Just a theory.

every player is different, Travis and Patrick left Money on the table because they know what they want their legacies to be, Hill wanted money plain and simple and the dolphins wanted to make a splash (Perfect Match) now you have CJ  he has two so the money is #1 for him as well and bragging rights to be the highest paid (which nobody is gonna give a crap about years from now...

So let's say CJ does sit out until week 8. Chiefs have a pretty tough schedule overall (not unusual). But the toughest part IMO would be after he returns. Looking at the first seven games there's not a one that scares me. But not reasonable to think the Chiefs breeze through it ...especially since Omenihu will also miss games. If KC can go 5-2 in that stretch, then I think every goal they have is still in play.

26 minutes ago, dhitter said:

So let's say CJ does sit out until week 8. Chiefs have a pretty tough schedule overall (not unusual). But the toughest part IMO would be after he returns. Looking at the first seven games there's not a one that scares me. But not reasonable to think the Chiefs breeze through it ...especially since Omenihu will also miss games. If KC can go 5-2 in that stretch, then I think every goal they have is still in play.

I agree after week 8 things do look tougher. Weeks 1-8 I am concerned about since we don’t have the services of CJ. Compound that with Omenihu and don’t even know about Sneed. 
I think things will really heat up after Saturdays game and in particular after tuesdays cut down day. 
The issue I see is Veach needs to create cash flow to be able to pick up players after Tuesdays cuts. 

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

every player is different, Travis and Patrick left Money on the table because they know what they want their legacies to be, Hill wanted money plain and simple and the dolphins wanted to make a splash (Perfect Match) now you have CJ  he has two so the money is #1 for him as well and bragging rights to be the highest paid (which nobody is gonna give a crap about years from now...

Aaron Donald who?

7 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

So if CJ doesn’t show up by the time we have to cut down to 53…. Does he count against this or not? 
Thanks coalition. 

Yes it will count.  They won't make him inactive and he's definitely a top 51 salary.

Much ado about nothing imo.  iirc AD held out like this 2 years in a row.  Before he got his last bump it went into 1st week of season and he started talking retirement to force the Rams hand.  He didn't play until week 2.

CJ will show probably around same time.  And if he really does hold out til week 8 we'll know he has the dumbest agent of all time since he just made it possible for KC to franchise tag him.

14 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Since this is about AAV in the CJ contract negotiations its fair to remember that Pat didn't leave money on the table per say.  He increased the AAV at his position, already the highest in NFL history, by another 10m per.  Where it's team friendly is the length and ability to convert bonuses, not in the AAV.  No matter what he signed it was a guarantee that he'd be passed in AAV due to the nature of NFL contracts.  So while we look at it now and say he's a bargain, at the time it was unprecedented amounts.  

As well, both Pat and Trav signed extensions with 2 years remaining under contract, which is normally where players might give up some AAV for security.  At the time he signed his 2020 extension, Trav was #2 in AAV at his position after Kittle, so he did give up about 0.75m per on the AAV (compared to Kittles AAV) but it's not like it was a massive discount at the time.

Plus Trav and Pat both have opportunities outside football that most players don't to make money on endorsements just by the nature of playing glamour positions (and being awesome).

I keep hearing people repeat this one a lot but it's looking at the contracts in hindsight after enough time has passed for the contracts to become outdated in AAV.  

I haven't seen a definitive answer on this so maybe Xen or another cap guru can answer.  I know if he sits out regular season games he doesn't get paid but what happens to the money.  Does his game checks get added in cap available?  So if he sits out 2 games we would have 2 mill in cap space?  I have seen differing on this.  

32 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

I haven't seen a definitive answer on this so maybe Xen or another cap guru can answer.  I know if he sits out regular season games he doesn't get paid but what happens to the money.  Does his game checks get added in cap available?  So if he sits out 2 games we would have 2 mill in cap space?  I have seen differing on this.  

I think salary amounts you were expected to pay but don't end up paying for whatever reason are deducted from the next years cap.  The language in the CBA is legalese.

BTW don't believe anything you hear on actual amounts that could be forfeited.  The CBA allows a lot of leeway in contract language on what can be forfeited including %'s of most bonuses.  But it also doesn't require players to agree to that language.  So unless we saw the details of his contract who knows on the totals.

Fyi we will need to clear cap space going into the season with our top 51 plus PS so if you see some restructures or unexpected cuts of higher salaries then they're not close to a deal with CJ.  

24 minutes ago, xen said:

Fyi we will need to clear cap space going into the season with our top 51 plus PS so if you see some restructures or unexpected cuts of higher salaries then they're not close to a deal with CJ.  

yikes