Chris Jones merged thread

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

he deserves to play for some bottom dwelling team all the while we enjoy their 1rst rnd pick +

We need more than a 1st rounder. He's proven to be one of the best in the league, and has at least 4 years of solid production left... we need a replacement asap... even if its just an average DL type, we will need the depth. I'd like a 2024 1st, a 2025  2nd, and a serviceable DT. 

20 minutes ago, mex said:

We need more than a 1st rounder. He's proven to be one of the best in the league, and has at least 4 years of solid production left... we need a replacement asap... even if its just an average DL type, we will need the depth. I'd like a 2024 1st, a 2025  2nd, and a serviceable DT. 

that's what the + was for

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

I went back and watched the cincy game. We don’t win that game without him imo: 

he wrecks games. 

I trust kc 

He’s gone man.  Trust in Veach.  Jones has made his bed, Chiefs aren’t willing to pay him what he wants because it will negatively affect them in the future.  CJ justifiably wants what he feels he is deserved but it doesn’t match up with the vision of the Chiefs and what he personally put out on social media last year.  

There’s a large number of players that already know he’s going to be traded.  If a back up QB for the Bills knows, just imagine who else knows. Teams are already planning against the Chiefs for games without him.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Seeing us tied to Cleveland,  bears and Cowboys

Cowboys, a 1st plus this player?

I'd be interested if Chicago was willing to send us Gervon Dexter, a 1st and swap 3rds. Dexter has some of the tools Chris had, it's just unlocking them all by getting his get-off and pad level fixed, then getting him a pass rush plan. He showed growth with the get-off in preseason games. I think, with Chicago, you're expecting a top-half of the 1st pick. 

Odighizuwa is probably nearing maxed out in terms of what he is ever going to be IMO, which is a guy that doesn't get to the QB nearly enough to have a lot of value in trade. Essentially, he's an undersized version of Maliek Collins, which is solid but he and a low first isn't going to cut it. I'd be certifiably pissed off if that was what Veach managed to get for him. It would take at least a 1st and 2nd with Osa to move the needle for me and that's simply because I expect that it would take those 2 picks to equate to Chicago's first as a minimum. Honestly, I'd rather take a 1st and Collins from Houston. At least the likelihood of that 1st being top-15 is almost guaranteed given the Texans have a rookie QB. 

The team that could really use Jones is Minnesota. He'd fit in perfectly as a starter at the DE spot currently occupied by Harrison Phillips in their 3-4. Again, you're expecting a low 1st so the package would need to be hefty. Do you ask for Danielle Hunter and go for an edge rush instead but get stuck in the same extension conundrum you have with Jones? Maybe include Pat Jones or D.J. Wonnum with picks? Would be another tough decision.  

On 9/3/2023 at 2:32 AM, kccrow said:

Yes, but those are also the highest-paid defenders in the league and he wants a lot of money because he's a premier pass rusher regardless of position. He's head and shoulders above any DT not named Donald but when it comes to all pass rushers he just doesn't and won't get the numbers those guys get in tackles, total pressures, and, normally, sacks. So there has to be a little give and take there and Jones doesn't seem to be giving much. He shouldn't get Watt/Garrett money because he can't consistently produce like they can but he also deserves a chunk more over all the other DTs behind Donald. Where is that line? Veach is smack dab on the correct line, in my opinion, sitting right between Garrett and Quinnen Williams. Jones is pushing too high, but I'd probably give in to a certain extent because replacing what he does for this team is going to be difficult and Veach absolutely has not adequately planned for life without Jones. Veach has a very difficult decision to make that could very well severely impact this season and in the NFL you live in the now more than you do the future. This team, with Jones, can win another Super Bowl. Without him I think this defense, especially the pass rush, is going to be questionable for at least half the season, and how many games does that cost KC? I dunno... if I'm Veach and I'm at my limit then make the trade now, gain some resources, and start bringing in more bodies that can help you right now instead of dragging a futile effort out further. Or swap Miami Jones for Wilkins + picks :D. 

My God. Your posts are longer than mine.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

If OTC is accurate their is only 1 team even able to take on his salary and that team doesnt own a 1st next spring.   I know teams can create space by reworking current deals and such but i would think any trade would have to involve a player as well to help create cap room and for some teams it would have be a significant player for it to work.  I know CJ could lower his cap # by agreeing to new deal and get a low first yr cap hit l but if he doesn't like the team he is being dealt to couldnt he just not agree to a new deal and in effect dictate where he goes? 

I'm not agaist trading him now but just wondering if the pool of suitors wouldn't be bigger next spring when teams have more money to spend

8 hours ago, kccrow said:

I'd be interested if Chicago was willing to send us Gervon Dexter, a 1st and swap 3rds. Dexter has some of the tools Chris had, it's just unlocking them all by getting his get-off and pad level fixed, then getting him a pass rush plan. He showed growth with the get-off in preseason games. I think, with Chicago, you're expecting a top-half of the 1st pick. 

Odighizuwa is probably nearing maxed out in terms of what he is ever going to be IMO, which is a guy that doesn't get to the QB nearly enough to have a lot of value in trade. Essentially, he's an undersized version of Maliek Collins, which is solid but he and a low first isn't going to cut it. I'd be certifiably pissed off if that was what Veach managed to get for him. It would take at least a 1st and 2nd with Osa to move the needle for me and that's simply because I expect that it would take those 2 picks to equate to Chicago's first as a minimum. Honestly, I'd rather take a 1st and Collins from Houston. At least the likelihood of that 1st being top-15 is almost guaranteed given the Texans have a rookie QB. 

The team that could really use Jones is Minnesota. He'd fit in perfectly as a starter at the DE spot currently occupied by Harrison Phillips in their 3-4. Again, you're expecting a low 1st so the package would need to be hefty. Do you ask for Danielle Hunter and go for an edge rush instead but get stuck in the same extension conundrum you have with Jones? Maybe include Pat Jones or D.J. Wonnum with picks? Would be another tough decision.  

Yes to the Bears deal .. that's my hunch

2 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

If OTC is accurate their is only 1 team even able to take on his salary and that team doesnt own a 1st next spring.   I know teams can create space by reworking current deals and such but i would think any trade would have to involve a player as well to help create cap room and for some teams it would have be a significant player for it to work.  I know CJ could lower his cap # by agreeing to new deal and get a low first yr cap hit l but if he doesn't like the team he is being dealt to couldnt he just not agree to a new deal and in effect dictate where he goes? 

I'm not agaist trading him now but just wondering if the pool of suitors wouldn't be bigger next spring when teams have more money to spend

Wonder how he will react if he isn’t traded until then.  Would he be a liability to this team when he comes back week 8?  

He’s not playing for Chiefs this season though so won’t matter.

6 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Wonder how he will react if he isn’t traded until then.  Would he be a liability to this team when he comes back week 8?  

He’s not playing for Chiefs this season though so won’t matter.

Every week that goes by hurts his trade value and makes him more easily tagged.