Chris Jones merged thread

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

other than the financial #'s which  are extremely enlightening the rest of this article was a big nothing burger the first sentence of the Bottom Line sums it up in my mind.

I don't recall the word Intelligence and CJ being used together in a sentence

This guy is correct on situation

Chiefs will take a step back regardless.  Pay CJ what he wants, trade him, or let him walk after contract.  

1 minute ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

At this point it seems like it’s more a matter of pride than money.

I’ve been on the “pay the man whatever he wants” team, but am increasingly empathizing with the “get what you can for him and say goodbye” faction. 

So Veach gets a pass?  Laughable…

17 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

I didn't see any of that.. by not caving in to ludicrous demands is a feather in Veach's cap if anything,  IF it goes to the trade scenario the judgment will be what he gets for him. 

signing CJ in no way guarantees another SB and if that is your insinuation ..well then Bless Your heart.

That being said I'm in line with Burp's thinking as well and many of  comments I have read on other sites have evolved to that way of thinking. CJ is wearing out his welcome I'm afraid. Trade deadline is Oct 31 and both CJ & Veach are on the clock

25 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I didn't see any of that.. by not caving in to ludicrous demands is a feather in Veach's cap if anything,  IF it goes to the trade scenario the judgment will be what he gets for him. 

signing CJ in no way guarantees another SB and if that is your insinuation ..well then Bless Your heart.

That being said I'm in line with Burp's thinking as well and many of  comments I have read on other sites have evolved to that way of thinking. CJ is wearing out his welcome I'm afraid. Trade deadline is Oct 31 and both CJ & Veach are on the clock

Thank you for not rushing to judge my opinion or threatening to call me names.  I get it, my opinion isn’t popular.  In this case, I feel Veach is trying to be the smartest guy in the room rather than CJ being ridiculous.  None of us really know what’s been thrown around behind closed doors regardless of how much football knowledge we have.  Due to recent success I think many of you are willing to just give Veach a pass but at what cost?  Sounds to me like Veach assumed it would be fine and it’s turned out to be not so great.  Now he’s gotta figure out a trade deal more than likely.  Then it’s a guessing game from picks.  No slam dunk.  Not like our defense is some vaunted great unit to begin with, average.  CJ was a critical part of it.

45 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

So, Veach follows your logic and breaks the bank to hold onto CJ, leaving little to no room to bargain for future extensions with Creed, Joe and Trey.

They are forced to let one or two of them go, in favor of more affordable options.

Patrick gets pounded because of lack of OL depth, misses 5 games, and we don't win the division, maybe not even a WC berth.

Your comment will be:

"Veach fucked up... he should have signed all of them. Protecting Patrick is paramount."

59 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Not sure how you conclude that from my comments, but ok. 

I would be the worst GM ever because I would just write the man a check and be done with it, thereby possibly mortgaging the future. 

I hate to see good players go. Heck, if I were GM, Curly Culp would still be in the roster.

But, there comes a point when paying even great players hurts the team in the long run. That’s where Veach’s good sense earns his pay. 

21 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Yes. As a fan he brought me 2 SB victories in 3 SB appearances. I'll give him the benefit of doubt in the CJ negotiations. 

Fair enough but CJ was a major player in both.  Without him and talent in defense, it doesn’t matter what Veach does.  It becomes less likely we win more anytime soon.  Then again, LA paid their guy and they suck now.  

32 minutes ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

Not sure how you conclude that from my comments, but ok. 

I would be the worst GM ever because I would just write the man a check and be done with it, thereby possibly mortgaging the future. 

I hate to see good players go. Heck, if I were GM, Curly Culp would still be in the roster.

But, there comes a point when paying even great players hurts the team in the long run. That’s where Veach’s good sense earns his pay. 

We don’t know what he offered it’s all speculation.  Everyone so quick to blame the player for wanting too much.  

Just now, Mr Ev said:

We don’t know what he offered it’s all speculation.  Everyone so quick to blame the player for wanting too much.  

Well they did get negotiations done with other players that were in line for an extension to see where they landed on the DT market.  It was a sense to be sure to make him the 2nd highest paid DT.  It is not rocket science to see anywhere from 26 mil and up with better guaranteed money.

Just now, kkuenn said:

Well they did get negotiations done with other players that were in line for an extension to see where they landed on the DT market.  It was a sense to be sure to make him the 2nd highest paid DT.  It is not rocket science to see anywhere from 26 mil and up with better guaranteed money.

I get it.  I’m just saying we don’t know for sure. Veach could be low balling and we’d never know it bc we are so high on him.  

8 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

OK Evelyn. But I'm not the HOF Chiefs kicker.   

I hope CJ resigns and I have to come on here to eat crow.  I hope Veach has a plan and my half full mentality was wasted energy.  Go Chiefs.

7 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Fair enough but CJ was a major player in both.  Without him and talent in defense, it doesn’t matter what Veach does.  It becomes less likely we win more anytime soon.  Then again, LA paid their guy and they suck now.  

The Rams threw everything into getting that one SB win, and just rewarded Donald after they got it. The Chief’s are trying to maintain success, which is getting harder to do with each SB win. 

13 minutes ago, qnet said:

The Rams threw everything into getting that one SB win, and just rewarded Donald after they got it. The Chief’s are trying to maintain success, which is getting harder to do with each SB win. 

The Rams have $72,000,000 in dead cap space. Like you said, for 1 ring.

17 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

I’m at the point where if CJ signs ok, but if doesn’t and or traded I’m ok. No one should be bigger than the team and it appears CJ thinks he is. 

What has he said that proves this?  When we traded Hill we still had Mahomes who makes players around him better so it didn’t matter.  CJ loss would be detrimental to an already average defense.  IF he’s asking for that kind of money then by all means get picks, but all I’ve seen around people assuming he is asking that and giving Veach a pat on the back.

9 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

What has he said that proves this?  When we traded Hill we still had Mahomes who makes players around him better so it didn’t matter.  CJ loss would be detrimental to an already average defense.  IF he’s asking for that kind of money then by all means get picks, but all I’ve seen around people assuming he is asking that and giving Veach a pat on the back.

He hasn’t said that and I dont think people are patting Veach either. 
Players like PM and Kelce taking less for the team so hence my assumption is CJ is not and choosing his stand to get more. 
I agree about the defense.  But I don’t agree crippling the finances for the other players we need. 

19 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

He hasn’t said that and I dont think people are patting Veach either. 
Players like PM and Kelce taking less for the team so hence my assumption is CJ is not and choosing his stand to get more. 
I agree about the defense.  But I don’t agree crippling the finances for the other players we need. 

Veach said he wasn’t paying Hill what he asked for bc of this situation.  CJ stated he’ll never play for another franchise.  Unless CJ went back on his word then I’m backing him.  I think Veach is short balling him.

Even if we extend CJ it is paramount that the franchise develop his replacement whether that be one or multiple players. Teams have to gameplan for Chris Jones. He often is called a game wrecker. Without him no one comes close to being that. And that frustrates me that one defensive player holds that much control over the defense's fortunes. What if Jones gets hurt? Nick Bolton is rock solid. But would you call him a game wrecker? 

22 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Even if we extend CJ it is paramount that the franchise develop his replacement whether that be one or multiple players. Teams have to gameplan for Chris Jones. He often is called a game wrecker. Without him no one comes close to being that. And that frustrates me that one defensive player holds that much control over the defense's fortunes. What if Jones gets hurt? Nick Bolton is rock solid. But would you call him a game wrecker? 

I agree. 
He’s got Veach bent over the wine barrel