Chris Jones merged thread

42 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Glass half empty.  He knows he has to play.  Doesn’t sound like he’s intending on taking less money but will make the most of this last season.  Hopefully he doesn’t get hurt.  

My God, it must be miserable being you.  Lighten up, Francis.  Being a fan is supposed to be fun.  I think you should change your name to Mr. Eeyore.

1 hour ago, kccrow said:

While a good point, fact remains they still won 3 more SBs without Seymour. Proof positive that you can do it without one guy, so long as that guy isn't your QB.

Yes with an almost completely different roster, the first of the last 3 superbowls coming 6 years after that trade.  Reminder while inarguably successful they also went 10 years without a superbowl win while rocking with the 🐐 at QB.  

2 hours ago, Joe_Chief said:

My God, it must be miserable being you.  Lighten up, Francis.  Being a fan is supposed to be fun.  I think you should change your name to Mr. Eeyore.

Says you…I’m perfectly happy.  

Could be worse, not sure how, but it could be.

-Eeyore

6 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Could be worse, we all could have to watch a game with you, I bet THAT is miserable!

That’s just not true.

If I go to a game this season at arrowhead let’s do a coalition meet up.  I’m totally different in person.  Last season I was at the Jags game.  

On 8/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, xen said:

Yes with an almost completely different roster, the first of the last 3 superbowls coming 6 years after that trade.  Reminder while inarguably successful they also went 10 years without a superbowl win while rocking with the 🐐 at QB.  

Successful no doubt. They made the playoffs in 2009 and 2010, went to and lost the 2011-12, SB then they went to the Conference Championship the next two seasons before going back to the SB in 2014 and winning. It's not like they completely fell off the face of the Earth after the Seymour trade. It immediately hurt, for sure, but if KC trades Jones it also wouldn't sink the Chiefs forever, especially after addressing the edge position the past two years. I'd argue the Chiefs will be much better set up to absorb it if Felix pans out well. Not my preference that he gets shipped, but I'd 100% understand it. Sometimes moving aging assets for good draft picks is the way to keep windows open. Sure would be nice to have Chris here through Kelce's retirement though.  

21 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Successful no doubt. They made the playoffs in 2009 and 2010, went to and lost the 2011-12, SB then they went to the Conference Championship the next two seasons before going back to the SB in 2014 and winning. It's not like they completely fell off the face of the Earth after the Seymour trade. It immediately hurt, for sure, but if KC trades Jones it also wouldn't sink the Chiefs forever, especially after addressing the edge position the past two years. I'd argue the Chiefs will be much better set up to absorb it if Felix pans out well. Not my preference that he gets shipped, but I'd 100% understand it. Sometimes moving aging assets for good draft picks is the way to keep windows open. Sure would be nice to have Chris here through Kelce's retirement though.  

Yeah I'd agree.  Would be nice but I would get it if they tag and trade next year.  Hopefully after the first back to back boats in 20 years.

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

Agreed. 

No doubt many fans tend to live and breathe within the current football cycle. However, Brett Veach can't afford to do that. He has to look at this year as well as the next....and the next. I think a pattern has been established. Veach offered OBJ a good deal. He passed and now he's gone. We offered Tyreek a good deal. He passed and now he is gone. Chris Jones????

The chances of us remaining dominant are slim if we start acting like the Patriots and trading or letting guys go.  There’s probably a handful of teams that have tried to copy and at the end of the day the Patriots were one of a kind.  Granted they cheating and hand scandals.  Some of their titles are tainted.  

I hope you all can live with it when we have to trade him or he signs after this next season.  There’s no loyalty and he’ll probably end up in Cincy or Buffalo and help to take us out.  Can’t wait… 

44 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

The chances of us remaining dominant are slim if we start acting like the Patriots and trading or letting guys go.  There’s probably a handful of teams that have tried to copy and at the end of the day the Patriots were one of a kind.  Granted they cheating and hand scandals.  Some of their titles are tainted.  

I hope you all can live with it when we have to trade him or he signs after this next season.  There’s no loyalty and he’ll probably end up in Cincy or Buffalo and help to take us out.  Can’t wait… 

Wtf, dude?  You can’t wait for CJ to help Cinci or Buffalo take us out?   Are you a fan, or what?  

Chiefs fans waited 50 years for a SB win. We get 2 wins with 3 appearances while Veach is hear. Now you can sit there and say it's simply Mahomes and maybe Reid as a combo. All that could be true then we won a SB last year with 8 rookies playing and 4 of them starting. After giving Ty Hill the boot. The combination of paying Mahomes after his rookie contract then acquiring important though reasonably prices FA and drafting impactful 1st and 2nd year players was a GM marvel. So many teams will step back after paying the franchise QB

1 hour ago, Mr Ev said:

So following the pattern that the Pats employed would close our window of dominance?  How do you figure?   That exact formula helped keep their window open for nearly two decades.   The reason other franchises failed at employing that strategy is because they didn't have a GOAT QB/HC combo.  We do.   The Pats realized, like I hope Veach does, that overpaying players on your team actually closes the window.  Keeping an above avg team around your QB is all you need to give yourself a good shot year in and year out.  I like that Veach has a number.   Last year they were going to pay Hill handsomely but he got greedy (which is his right) and we traded him.  CJ isn't Hill and we need him for sure but we paid him elite money at the time last contract and our other elite HOF caliber players both took less that market value to be here. No one is asking him to take peanuts but asking for Donald money (which was a don't retire contract and a definite outlier) is crazy.  

And for Cincy and Buffalo, neither of those teams can afford CJ.  

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

Wtf, dude?  You can’t wait for CJ to help Cinci or Buffalo take us out?   Are you a fan, or what?  

Where did I say that?  That’s what’s going to happen though.  This will be his last year in KC…hope we have a plan.

Not sure why so many talking heads questioned the Chiefs letting players go. Orlando Brown to me was "serviceable" at best. When I heard the Chiefs offered him a long term deal and he turned it down....I was glad! Tyreek is an elite receiver. Electric....but Mahomes and Reid reinvented the offense and who can argue with the result after year one? Chris Jones is a tough one ...but I believe the Chiefs will continue to contend if he departs.

4 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

You do know we technically have control over him for 2 seasons AFTER this season right?

Chris Jones’ holdout could eventually cost him over $6 million

Kansas City’s defensive tackle will pay a lot of money to an NFLPA charity — but he’ll probably be back to work soon.

By John Dixon@Arrowheadphones  Aug 14, 2023, 4:05pm CDT 

Share this story

But it appears that Corry never counted on the Kansas City Chiefs’ Chris Jones and his agents. The All-Pro defensive tackle wants a multi-year extension to his contract — which runs through this season — and he’s holding out until he gets it. But it’s costing him a pretty penny.

How much money is Jones’ holdout costing him?

Jones is continuing to accumulate a daily non-reporting fine that began on Friday, July 21 — his training camp reporting date. At this writing on Monday, August 14, that’s 25 days at $50,000 per day, which is $1,250,000.

When he failed to report for Sunday’s preseason game against the New Orleans Saints, he generated a fine of $1,083,333, which is 1/18 of his $19,500,000 base salary for 2023.

And let’s not forget that when he missed the team’s three-day minicamp in June, he drew a CBA-mandated $98,753 fine for being absent for those required practices — and had already missed his $500,000 bonus for failing to participate in the voluntary offseason program.  That adds up to a cool $2.9 million.

But as bad as that is, it could get worse. Under the CBA, daily training camp fines are charged up through the last Sunday before the regular season begins. For Jones this year, that’s 45 days. So if he misses the whole preseason, he could be fined another $1 million in daily fines — along with $2,166,666 for missing the last two exhibition games.

That’s a potential total of $6.1 million. Whoa!

Before the current CBA, these kinds of fines could be waived or reduced by the team — but the 2020 CBA specifically prohibits this. The fines do not go to the league or to the team. As confirmed by a reliable source, they are just like fines for on-field violations during the season: they go to a charity specified by the NFLPA. The fines have no effect on the salary cap — although the Chiefs will get a credit of $500,000 against the 2024 cap for Jones’ unearned workout bonus.

Why is Jones allowing himself to be fined?

Here, the answer seems pretty obvious: because he thinks he can earn more in a new contract extension than he will pay in fines.

While we don’t have a clear idea of exactly how much money Jones wants — or how much the team is offering — this suggests that the two sides are at least $3 million apart in total contract value. 

It has been suggested that Jones simply hates training camp — and is willing to pay for the privilege of missing it. That might be a reasonable argument until he misses a preseason game, which costs about the same as missing 21 days of training camp.

It’s more likely that Jones was simply willing to risk a few million in fines, hoping he could get the Chiefs to panic at the negotiating table. But it’s hard to imagine that he intends to hold out the entire training camp — or any regular-season games, each of which will also cost him $1,083,333 in lost earnings.

Could Jones insist that the Chiefs pay his fines for him?

Sure. He can insist on whatever he wants. He can even hold out for a contract that pays him enough to compensate for the fines he’ll eventually be assessed — because while the CBA prohibits teams from waiving or reducing these fines, it cannot legislate what’s in a player’s mind. If Jones won’t be happy unless he feels the Chiefs are paying his fines for him, the league’s agreement with the union can’t stop him from asking for enough money to make it so.

But here’s the thing: Jones has to pay the fines out of money the Chiefs have already paid him. The team has already accounted for that money under the salary cap. If the team believes that Jones’ salary demands are somehow tied to how much he owes in fines, a general manager might instantly refuse to once again account for that money under the cap.

The bottom line

I think Jones will report to the team sometime after the final training camp practice. That will take place this Thursday.  But I don’t think it will be because he doesn’t want to spend the night in a dorm room. I just believe that Jones would prefer that he gets back into football shape during private practices at the team’s training facility, rather than in front of the rabid fans who come to watch the team practice at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph. By the end of the week, it will also be about the point where there’s just enough practice time (and preseason game time) to be ready for the Week 1 game against the Detroit Lions.

It comes down to this: if Jones cannot get a contract extension with the Chiefs — which seems more likely with each passing day — nothing will be more important to him than playing every game of 2023 like the All-Pro he was in 2022. That means it’s time to get back to work.

As the late Terez Paylor so often reminded us, the contract year is undefeated.