The Preseason mega thread

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think you are right. Buchele played great and would be worth risking as the backup rather than Gabbert.  I also am afraid Buchele would be poached from the PS. I wonder how flexible Andy is about having an experienced backup.  I will be interested to see how those two will do against Arizona.

My thought is that the Chiefs have three years invested in Buchele.  If he can't step in now, then when?  Another vet that could be let go is Bell.  Okay, he can block, but with the three TE packages, Kelce, Gray, and Fortson seems like more options for the offense.  It's not a matter of cap space.  Neither Gabbert nor Bell cost much.  It's a matter of churning the roster and bringing in new blood when possible.  

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

is there not some sort of new Emergency QB rule now? It was my impression that #6 Dunkin Donut was supposed to be the PS Qb

I think an emergency QB is not counted on the 47 active players on game day, but he still would be one of the 53 on the roster.  Buchele will get poached if the Chiefs try to stash him on the practice squad again.  

55 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I think an emergency QB is not counted on the 47 active players on game day, but he still would be one of the 53 on the roster.  Buchele will get poached if the Chiefs try to stash him on the practice squad again.  

He can dress for game day but only used if he is the last qb. This way they don't have the incident the 49ers had last year in nfc championship game. He won't count in active game day roster numbers.

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He can dress for game day but only used if he is the last qb. This way they don't have the incident the 49ers had last year in nfc championship game. He won't count in active game day roster numbers.

Yep.  The question was whether the Chiefs would use one of the 53 roster spots for a third QB.  Game day inactives is where the third QB can be available but only used in emergency.  At least that's my understanding. 

Andy loves have the Vet QB in the room for game planning and talking to Pat.....Gabs will stick for this season.

Buechele is looking better every year....You can be a multi-millionaire holding the clipboard for Pat for the next 10 years....

w

35 minutes ago, West said:

Andy loves have the Vet QB in the room for game planning and talking to Pat.....Gabs will stick for this season.

Buechele is looking better every year....You can be a multi-millionaire holding the clipboard for Pat for the next 10 years....

w

I dont think Andy plays that game..develop and trade or dont develop and get cut. This is Shane's last year under contract..JMO but he either takes the #2 Qb job or adios but regardless he wont be getting paid multi millions

....he can back up anyone including the MVP.  I just do not see too many starting minutes in KC over the next decade.

I am not sure Gabbard is the better QB vs Buechele at this point.  Buechele makes things happen and he has some mobility.  Gabbard can answer the "What does Tom think questions" better....

w

3 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

If Gabbert has to play significant minutes, Chiefs are picking in the top 10 next year.

as if that's a bad thing I mean if the chiefs cant get to at the least the AFCCG then  I'd rather them suck really bad  for draft picks

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

as if that's a bad thing I mean if the chiefs cant get to at the least the AFCCG then  I'd rather them suck really bad  for draft picks

I agree.

Lots of tape on Gabbert. None of it good.

I'm on the Buechele as backup bandwagon. He may end up not being worth a shit, but he could end up being a 10 year clipboard holder.

22 hours ago, jetlord said:

I did not get to watch the pre-season game, but the replays that I watched tells me that Buchele is a pretty good QB,  some team  will want him.  

I was in the stands for Andy's first game as Chiefs coach in Jacksonville.  Gabbert was the Jags' QB.  Tampa Hali absolutely destroyed him, and Gabbert couldn't get out of his own way.  But he had some decent snaps in Arizona and hopefully he learned a thing or two from Brady. 

But I agree...if he has to play for more than one or two games the season is tanked.

7 hours ago, West said:

w

This is a really good point. For me, I see more up side and similar present value in Brucshe. But I can’t argue with Andy’s logic. Moore and Henne were no better than Gabbert. But he can put a plan together for any QB as long as he isn’t crapping his pants out there. I don’t like it, but see a trade coming for Brusche. He said ants to start. Gabbert knows that time has come and gone.

17 hours ago, arrowhead said:

I agree.

Lots of tape on Gabbert. None of it good.

I'm on the Buechele as backup bandwagon. He may end up not being worth a shit, but he could end up being a 10 year clipboard holder.

I just read an article listing every NFL team's worst QB in history. Gabbert is listed as the Jaguars all time worst. Granted, they don't have as long a history as most but still ...

I think Buechele has earned a shot 

Not the same opponent but Buechele looked better than Gabbert against the Saints. I'm guessing they both get equal chance in the upcoming 2 games and battle it out. May be a start for both as Mahomes probably doesn't need any snaps at this point?

51 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Not the same opponent but Buechele looked better than Gabbert against the Saints. I'm guessing they both get equal chance in the upcoming 2 games and battle it out. May be a start for both as Mahomes probably doesn't need any snaps at this point?

disagree especially with the WR's dropping like flies

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

disagree especially with the WR's dropping like flies

I'm guessing they will keep maximizing the practice snaps with WRs. I don't think a few drives in the next two games will make too big of a difference but obviously the coaches know much better. 

1 hour ago, West said:

WR's have a ton of talent, but we don't have a "WR Room"...more like a WR China cabinet....geez.

w

When's the last time the Chiefs have had a big, reliable #1 receiver?  They have drafted Snoop, Conley, Bowe, Baldwin, etc. and not had the "go to" guy since Otis Taylor.  Yeah, there have  been some good WRs, but not anyone at the top of the WR list.  Henry Marshall was good and some of the reason is poor QBs, but I'd like to see KC have a true #1 wide out.