The Preseason mega thread

11 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Surely Buchelle has played well enough to earn the QB2 spot.

i mean after years of stashing him on the roster for no apparent reason, if this isn’t good enough to earn the job then what the hell are we doing

From what I saw in the highlights, he could start for half the NFL.

1 hour ago, Holmes4six! said:

We sure do need DT. Man we have no push in the middle. Stopping the run was a bit of an issue. 

By the end of Oct., FAU will be improved, Coburn will have moved ahead of Nnadi, Wharton will be back, Jones will be fully back, the young guys will have learned not to over run so many plays, and Omenihu will have served his suspension.  The Chiefs' defensive front may not be a weak as it looks by the time it really matters.

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

By the end of Oct., FAU will be improved, Coburn will have moved ahead of Nnadi, Wharton will be back, Jones will be fully back, the young guys will have learned not to over run so many plays, and Omenihu will have served his suspension.  The Chiefs' defensive front may not be a weak as it looks by the time it really matters.

I agree jet. We should be okay. 

5 hours ago, mex said:

From what I saw in the highlights, he could start for half the NFL.

Sure looks like it.  It looks like he could come in for a hurt Mahomes, and the game plan and play calls would not have to be altered one bit.  He should be QB2.  He cannot be allowed to get away from the Chiefs.  At some point, though, he will have to be allowed to make a name for himself as a QB1 somewhere in the NFC I would hope, not the AFC (especially the West). But for this year, he needs to be QB2 for the Kingdom.

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Sure looks like it.  It looks like he could come in for a hurt Mahomes, and the game plan and play calls would not have to be altered one bit.  He should be QB2.  He cannot be allowed to get away from the Chiefs.  At some point, though, he will have to be allowed to make a name for himself as a QB1 somewhere in the NFC I would hope, not the AFC (especially the West). But for this year, he needs to be QB2 for the Kingdom.

Get him under contract for multiple years, and trade him for picks. 

17 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Surely Buchelle has played well enough to earn the QB2 spot.

i mean after years of stashing him on the roster for no apparent reason, if this isn’t good enough to earn the job then what the hell are we doing

I think of it as flipping houses...they coach him up for a while then trade him for a decent draft pick. I mean if Andy really does prefer to keep a veteran around then it seems like a smart play. Eventually they will not be able to keep him and some other team will want to sign him to a contract. Just a guess...

The kid is going to want to get his shot somewhere and the Chiefs would be smart to try and see what they can get for him.

7 hours ago, ClarksvilleChief said:

I think of it as flipping houses...they coach him up for a while then trade him for a decent draft pick. I mean if Andy really does prefer to keep a veteran around then it seems like a smart play. Eventually they will not be able to keep him and some other team will want to sign him to a contract. Just a guess...

The kid is going to want to get his shot somewhere and the Chiefs would be smart to try and see what they can get for him.

The kid knows the Chiefs system inside out and upside down and has the talent and arm to execute it.  It's a tough call for sure. The league has all the tape it needs from the last two games for a team with a mediocre or an aging QB to want him badly. We should squeeze the life out of any team willing to give up draft picks for him.  I'd sure like him to stay as QB2 for another year, though.

How things have changed. I remember a time during preseason that, once the starters went out and the backups came in, the game was basically unwatchable. We used to have guys that if we cut them...they were basically out of the league cuz no one else thought they had anything. Now I see talent even into the 3rd stringers. It's a good problem to have.

21 hours ago, mex said:

Get him under contract for multiple years, and trade him for picks. 

I think we're past the point of no return to do that.  He is not going to sign a multiple year contract to be a backup knowing the possibility we could keep him rather than trade him.  He knows how good he is and how he performed in these two preseason games.  His agent would never let him sign for multiple years, leaving him no leverage as to where he goes. It's just the burden we have to pay for the good fortune of having the best player in the NFL at QB. I think we are going to have to trade him for less than he is worth just to make sure he doesn't go to a team we are rivals with, since he will bring the entire knowledge of our offense with him.

He would make half the teams in the NFL immediately better, and those teams know it.  So does he. I don't know how much time is left on his  current contract.  Does anyone here know? I'll be hoping he goes somewhere to a rising team with good players and which is in the NFC.

11 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think we're past the point of no return to do that.  He is not going to sign a multiple year contract to be a backup knowling the possibility we would keep him rather than trade him.  He knows how good he is and how he performed in these two preseason games.  His agent would never let him sign for multiple years, leaving him no leverage as to where he goes. It's just the burden we have to pay for the good fortune of have the best player in the NFL at QB. I think we are going to have to trade him for less than he is worth just to make sure he doesn't go to a team we are rivals with, since he will bring the entire knowledge of our offense with him.

He would make half the teams in the NFL immediately better, and those teams know it.  So does he. I don't know how much time is left on his  current contract.  Does anyone here know?

this is his last year on his contract but I'm not so sure about not signing another 2-3 year deal. Some good $$ to be had  holding a clip board just ask Chase Daniel https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/chase-daniel-7081/  I mean look 3 year for $10 M with the chiefs and 3 year $21M with the Eagles. MVPatrick  is due for a injury or two and to win those games really ups his value..

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

this is his last year on his contract but I'm not so sure about not signing another 2-3 year deal. Some good $$ to be had  holding a clip board just ask Chase Daniel https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/chase-daniel-7081/  I mean look 3 year for $10 M with the chiefs and 3 year $21M with the Eagles. MVPatrick  is due for a injury or two and to win those games really ups his value..

I could see him signing for two years, but that is about it.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

You shut your potty mouth!

-1 and another -1....Do not put the word "Mahomes" in the same sentence as the word "injury"...please.

Also, Reid is a players coach and knows Buechele could be the next Peyton Manning....but like the real Peyton Manning...he will not see the field as long as MVP15 is on the roster.  Reid may want to trade the kid to an NFC team at some point out of respect and to give him a chance.  I could see  Veach with a couple of extra high draft picks....

Wonder how EB would value Shane.  I doubt there's many opportunities for him to be traded to be a starter, but certainly as a back up with the chance to compete for starting next season.  If the Chiefs are locked in on Gabbert being the first back up to Mahomes, then trading Bushele makes sense.  Keeping three QBs on the 53 isn't a good option and Bushele won't survive the poachers on the PS.