Chiefs Lions game day thread

19 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Lol, remember our first sb win with Mahomes and that defense. They have never made a 1st round exit in all the years with him so far.

There is that.  Very true.  Good point.

23 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

This will be a glimpse into life without CJ.  Hopefully Veach can pivot and patch the hole.

I think he can, and would. There are still a couple of solid veteran additions to be had out there if Veach trades CJ. He could certainly add Dunlap back at DE to provide a better inside/outside rotation. Matt Ioannidis could be a quality, starter-caliber, player that can at least be better than our NTs as a base set 3-tech. You have Omenihu after week 6. Don't know what Michael Brockers might have left in the tank, he's out there. Chris Wormley should be close to be able to workout for a team to see where he's at with his ACL recovery. Lots of other cats that he could kick the tires on, like Ross Blacklock, but probably only package guys. 

3 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Chiefs 23

Lions 36

Let the pessimistic rants commence!

Beating the Lions is like beating the Titans. Stop the run, win the game.

Last I checked, the Lions had the worst defense in the NFL last season. Just because they had a better pass rush than in years past doesn't negate the fact they finished dead last in yards allowed, 3rd worst in passing yards allowed, 8th worst in passing TDs allowed, 2nd worst in net yards per pass attempt, 2nd worst in yards per attempt allowed rushing, and the list goes on.

So did they get significantly better? I really don't think they did enough to warrant guessing they'll hold KC to 23 points.

Sure, CGJ is an improvement at NB. Emmanuel Mosely is a marginal improvement over Okudah, if he's even that. Sutton improves over Will Harris on the other side. Neither have been historically good corners, although Sutton played pretty well last season.

They are going to be starting a rookie in Jack Campbell at LB. As good as I think he will be, it's going to be his first-ever NFL game. With Buggs out, they are going to likely be starting another rookie at DT in Brodric Martin. 

Overall, they have a far less accomplished defense than we do, and they are probably looking at a best-case scenario of being a middle-of-the-road defense. Despite all that, they will blow our doors off 36-23? Unlikely.

Will it be competitive, close, and high-scoring? Most likely. Detroit is returning a really good offense that probably got better with LaPorta and Gibbs in the fold. 

All that said, Mahomes is 5-0 in openers. 18 TDs. 0 INTs. The Chiefs have won 8 straight openers. And... KC is at home.

Some of these comments!!!!  Hopefully people are just playing.  There is a stat out there, and I am going from memory, so don't quote me, but its something like PM15 has lost a grand total of 2-3 games in all of his starts by more than 1 score.  Yet, you are all predicting doom and gloom.  My Nostradamus skills, say 42-27 Chiefs. 

16 hours ago, kccrow said:

Last I checked, the Lions had the worst defense in the NFL last season. Just because they had a better pass rush than in years past doesn't negate the fact they finished dead last in yards allowed, 3rd worst in passing yards allowed, 8th worst in passing TDs allowed, 2nd worst in net yards per pass attempt, 2nd worst in yards per attempt allowed rushing, and the list goes on.

So did they get significantly better? I really don't think they did enough to warrant guessing they'll hold KC to 23 points.

Sure, CGJ is an improvement at NB. Emmanuel Mosely is a marginal improvement over Okudah, if he's even that. Sutton improves over Will Harris on the other side. Neither have been historically good corners, although Sutton played pretty well last season.

They are going to be starting a rookie in Jack Campbell at LB. As good as I think he will be, it's going to be his first-ever NFL game. With Buggs out, they are going to likely be starting another rookie at DT in Brodric Martin. 

Overall, they have a far less accomplished defense than we do, and they are probably looking at a best-case scenario of being a middle-of-the-road defense. Despite all that, they will blow our doors off 36-23? Unlikely.

Will it be competitive, close, and high-scoring? Most likely. Detroit is returning a really good offense that probably got better with LaPorta and Gibbs in the fold. 

All that said, Mahomes is 5-0 in openers. 18 TDs. 0 INTs. The Chiefs have won 8 straight openers. And... KC is at home.

IMG_0326.jpeg.6c1a03d49869360f6acda2069d24ce0a.jpeg

It is always doom and gloom! Check all hope and join the struggle bus. Andy Reid is fired daily here.