Jones Signs One Year Deal

Chiefs signed DT Chris Jones to a one-year contract.
This is not the long-term extension Jones held out all offseason for, but rather a one-year deal that now includes “multiple incentives to earn considerably more money,” per ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Jones will now play out the remainder of the season on this revamped one-year deal, and will presumably hit free agency at the start of next offseason. Jones missed the Chiefs’ Week 1 matchup against the Lions, but was in the building watching during the 21-20 defeat. Now, the All-Pro defensive tackle will return to the field, perhaps as early as Week 2 when the Chiefs hit the road to face the Jaguars.

Chris Jones had his Super Bowl rings. Now he has the big contract extension he wanted.

The Kansas Chiefs confirmed reports Monday afternoon that they have reached a one-year deal with Jones. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the deal doesn't include any new years and that it contains multiple incentives that can add to Jones' 2023 earnings. Specific terms of the deal weren't initially reported, including how the two side resolved the millions of dollars in fines Jones compiled during his holdout.

Jones, the star defensive lineman for the Chiefs, ended his holdout when he agreed to a new deal with the team.

Jones was entering the final season of a four-year, $80 million deal. He felt he had outproduced that deal, and the latest five-year, $170 million deal for San Francisco 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa reinforced that Jones was due for a raise. Holding out through the preseason was how Jones exercised his leverage.

Just now, oldtimer said:

I just hope there is not a no trade clause if so Veach got hosed

I have to think that veech does not want to trade CJ, however I'm not sure that CJ wants to, as he calls it...be "underpaid" and is obviously hell bent on testing FA. If that's his attitiude, then I think they should tag and trade the shit out of him at the end of the season so that we can get a high pick to replace him...jmo.

6 minutes ago, artsy said:

I have to think that veech does not want to trade CJ, however I'm not sure that CJ wants to, as he calls it...be "underpaid" and is obviously hell bent on testing FA. If that's his attitiude, then I think they should tag and trade the shit out of him at the end of the season so that we can get a high pick to replace him...jmo.

he has to sign the tag to get traded or at least that is my understanding.. this is just kicking the can down the road

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I would tag him off season again too for a trade. Honestly I think it is one year while they maybe work to extend him for a couple more. This just gets him on the field either way.

I kinda like it, honestly. It forces him to play hard this year... and not sit in the post multi-year contract signing rocking chair. If he plays well, it increases his value on extending... if not, it gives Veach leverage next year. 

10 minutes ago, mex said:

I kinda like it, honestly. It forces him to play hard this year... and not sit in the post multi-year contract signing rocking chair. If he plays well, it increases his value on extending... if not, it gives Veach leverage next year. 

Yeah, my guess is that he'll play lights out all year auditioning for other teams.