Now that the Jones drama is postponed...

If the WR's struggle again what in your opinion needs to be done?  I have a gut feeling Kc is gonna come out and just blister the Jaguars.  But I think if they do struggle again the Chiefs will not stand by and make excuses they will go out and make a trade or do something to shake things up.

1 minute ago, arthur75 said:

If the WR's struggle again what in your opinion needs to be done?  I have a gut feeling Kc is gonna come out and just blister the Jaguars.  But I think if they do struggle again the Chiefs will not stand by and make excuses they will go out and make a trade or do something to shake things up.

Bucs say Mike Evans wont get an extension but how to afford anyone without some cap relief?

Chiefs, DT Chris Jones agree to new 1-year contract

Menu

ESPN

SCORES

Chiefs, DT Chris Jones agree to new 1-year contract

play

Chris Jones, Chiefs agree to 1-year deal (0:50)

Facebook

Twitter

Facebook Messenger

Email

teicher_adam.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop

Adam Teicher, ESPN Staff WriterSep 11, 2023, 05:24 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Defensive tackle Chris Jones ended his holdout Monday by agreeing to terms on a new one-year contract with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Jones did not receive a clause preventing a franchise tag so he could be subject to receive that tender from the Chiefs next offseason, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jones received incentives in the new contract that would allow him to earn more than the $19.5 million he was scheduled to make this season under his old contract, sources told ESPN.

EDITOR'S PICKS

r1222891_1296x1296_1-1.jpg&w=130&h=130&scale=crop&location=center

Barnwell: Should three Super Bowl hopefuls be concerned after Week 1 upsets?

1dBill Barnwell

r1223130_1296x1296_1-1.jpg&w=130&h=130&scale=crop&location=center

Reid surprised by Toney's drops: 'Not his thing'

19hAdam Teicher

Those incentives, a source told Fowler:

$1 million for 35% playing time;

$1 million for 50% playing time or;

$1.25 million for 10 sacks;

$500,000 for 15 sacks (additional to the $1.25 million for 10 sacks);

$1 million if selected as a first team All-Pro and the Chiefs play in the Super Bowl;

$2 million if he wins Defensive Player of the Year and the Chiefs win the Super Bowl.

"Chris is an elite player in this league and over the last seven years, he's really developed into a leader on our team," Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said in a statement. "He's been instrumental to our success and Super Bowl championship runs and it was a priority for us to keep him in a Chiefs uniform. I'd like to thank Chris and his representation, Michael and Jason Katz, for their desire and patience to get this done. Through this process two things were obvious, Chris wanted to be a Chief and the Katz brothers worked diligently on his behalf."

Jones should be available to play for the first time Sunday when the Chiefs visit the Jacksonville Jaguars. Last week, during a charity event in Kansas City, Jones said he was keeping in shape and would be ready to play the day after he signed a new contract.

"I could play right now,'' Jones said then. "I work out every day, twice a day, but in Miami with my team that I'd normally be with in my offseason. I'm staying at it.''

Jones did not play in the Chiefs' season opener last week against the Detroit Lions -- a 21-20 loss -- forfeiting his game check of about $1.1 million.

Jones did not report to training camp as he was seeking an upgraded deal. He was entering the final season of a four-year, $80 million contract he signed with the Chiefs in 2020. He would have been the ninth-highest-paid defensive tackle in the league by average salary under the contract.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38380797/chiefs-dt-chris-jones-agree-new-1-year-contract

20 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I think Thuney counts 22 million toward cap this year and 22 million next year as well. Something should be done to free up money there.

Extend him and rework it. Get cap space to sign Creed, Bolton and Trey while we tag/trade Jones if he won't play ball. Use picks andFA for a DT and other needs.

4 hours ago, mex said:

I pity Jacksonville... Patrick is pissed and those receivers are on notice.

I look for an all-out air assault the likes of which Curtis LeMay would be proud.

Whatever we do, I think it will be schemed for whatever is best against Jacksonville, not for some kind of emotional agenda. The main thing is not to start 0-2...at any cost. At least that is what Andy will do.  Patrick, on the other hand, will opt for plays that do what you are looking for', Mex.  He is more emotional and competitive, and he may have the itch to just blow up Jacksonville.

After looking at the troubles against Detroit, we need to have our fastest receivers to take keep the defenses honest deep and give the young receivers more room to operate and CATCH THE BALL.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Extend him and rework it. Get cap space to sign Creed, Bolton and Trey while we tag/trade Jones if he won't play ball. Use picks andFA for a DT and other needs.

If we didn't want to extend CJ at 29 why are we reworking Thuney at age 30 again?  Could also save quite a bit on the cap by cutting or trading thuney post 6/1 2024.

29 minutes ago, xen said:

If we didn't want to extend CJ at 29 why are we reworking Thuney at age 30 again?  Could also save quite a bit on the cap by cutting or trading thuney post 6/1 2024.

Because lineman have longer careers, and he has been absolute stud since he got here!  Plus, he's not an asshole!

31 minutes ago, xen said:

Thuney has like 3 years left on his contract I think. You can't cut him cost to much against the cap. And he is a stud so resign extend to free up space

2 hours ago, xen said:

Guards are good up to 34ish I would say. Getting a new deal that is fair would help him and even us down the road. He would get the guarantee money and stability while we don't have to worry about G for another 3 years. It is just a thought on how we could create even more money is all.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Thuney is an absolute rock, and The Chiefs are an offensive team.  They are less able to lose Thuney.

3 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Because lineman have longer careers, and he has been absolute stud since he got here!  Plus, he's not an asshole!

Meh CJ is a lineman as well, and as I already stated, his position also tends to age well, plus you're an asshole and we keep you around. Try again.