Mahomes historic restructure.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38432601/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-gets-historic-payday-restructuring

The Kansas City Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes have restructured his agreement, giving him $210.6 million between 2023 and 2026, the most money in NFL history over a four-season span. His compensation for those years is now guaranteed, the quarterback's agent told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

The Chiefs and Mahomes plan to re-visit the agreement again after the 2026 season, Equity Sports CEO Chris Cabott, who negotiated the deal on behalf of Mahomes, told Schefter.

Mahomes became the NFL's highest-paid player in the summer of 2020 when he signed a 10-year extension worth $450 million. No player has since topped that contract in terms of total value, but several quarterbacks have passed Mahomes in average annual pay, including four this year -- Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow.

I hope this frees up money. Maybe a lot being say a signing bonus? We have a lot of FA coming up the next 2 years we need to keep. Creed, Smith  and what about Jones? I don't want to see Jones just walk away for a possible 3rd round comp pick.

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I hope this frees up money. Maybe a lot being say a signing bonus? We have a lot of FA coming up the next 2 years we need to keep. Creed, Smith  and what about Jones? I don't want to see Jones just walk away for a possible 3rd round comp pick.

I imagine it will be more option bonuses or some other sort of guaranteed bonuses.  They moved when the bonuses are due from March at the beginning of the league year to May.  That says they want more flexibility to restructure after FA and draft. Right now they have to do it at the start of the league year. Since they kept that long framework they can still convert cash and spread the hits out.  I trust Mahomes and Veach/Borgonzi will structure this to stay competitive.  So far they been playing chess on the contracts when the rest of the league be playing checkers.  Can't wait to see the details.

The best thing about this deal is that no one ( me anyways) saw this happening this quickly. I heard they were reviewing it but that’s all. 
The other thing it does, is shows CJ and others to come to work with your lunch box, work hard and make plays and the money will come. You wanna fuck around then Veach is gonna let u find out. 

Looking up his old contract.

It looks like we save 5 mil next year, 8 the following and 11 after that. If his pay is at 52 mil roughly per the old contract. That is 24 is savings there and his later years he would get relooked at and all but 1 year is at 52 million and under. So it brought money forward with all guarantees and possibly more cap savings depending on how they do signing bonuses etc. This may free up even more money with cap limit going up each year for it too.

2023 📝 $37,134,181
$150,730,143
($113,595,962)
2024 📝 $57,358,181
$114,145,962
($56,787,781)
2025 📝 $60,858,181
$57,337,781
$3,520,400
2026 📝 $63,264,800
$13,029,600
$50,235,200

Total $501,578,443  
2027 📝 $59,414,800
$6,514,800
$52,900,000
2028 📝 $27,125,000
$0
$27,125,000
2029 📝 $44,950,000
$0
$44,950,000
2030 📝 $50,450,000
$0
$50,450,000
2031 📝 $52,450,000
$0
$52,450,000

31 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I really think they need WR help.  Not sure if I would pull the trigger yet but if they WR's struggle against the Bears I am finding someone to trade for.

Or they could rotate some of the others in.  They have 7.  See if Rice and Ross can make a dent.  Rice has looked good in limited action but probably still learning the offense.

12 minutes ago, xen said:

Or they could rotate some of the others in.  They have 7.  See if Rice and Ross can make a dent.  Rice has looked good in limited action but probably still learning the offense.

I can't tell if Mahomes is spreading the ball around so much because nobody is standing out or if nobody is standing out because he's throwing to 11 different receivers every game.  

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I can't tell if Mahomes is spreading the ball around so much because nobody is standing out or if nobody is standing out because he's throwing to 11 different receivers every game.  

I think it is the latter. This also keeps the defense on its toes because anyone can get the ball. The WR just need to run the right routes where Mahomes expects them to be and catch the ball.  First game we had guys cutting off others, not being in the spot Mahomes expected and threw the ball too etc. They also will learn once he scrambles and happens to find the open spots like Kelce does and improve. This is something that will come with more time and practice.

Not so fast.  Details starting to roll in.  Not going to sugar coat this.

TL;DR:  Woof this is a complicated contract. Forget CJ, all that cap space just went to Mahomes (unless he obviously gies way down in price).  This actually explains why Veach put such a hard line on CJ's offer, since he knew this was coming.  This is not good for KC's cap.  Lot of money shifted from bonuses to base salary overall = lots of flexibility lost in this contract.  All numbers approximate so don't @me about pennies on the dollar.  Good thing the cap is expected to go way up as TV and gambling contracts fully kick in

2023 Cash totals 56m + 2022 incentives paid 2.5m.  Cap space freed up is from earned 2022 incentives being converted.

cap # 57m woof up 10m

8.6m base salary

34.9m roster bonus due May 5 2024 not fully guaranteed at signing.  Guarantees 3 days after signing (so guaranteed now).  This 3 day difference would presumably be so it doesn't immediately accelerate to that years cap.

Cap # goes up 48m to 60m

16.65m base salary, guaranteed 3rd day of league year

32.35m roster bonus works same way as 2024 roster bonus.  

Cap # goes up from 44m, up 18m to 63m

45.35m base salary guarantees same way as roster bonuses

10.4m roster bonus, same thing.  3rd day of 2025 year becomes fully guaranteed.

Nothing matters 2027 or later since they'll revisit after 2026.  Money starts going way down 2027 amd later now but those will be renegotiated so doesn't matter.

Other:

Yearly 2.5m bonuses turned into salary escalators.  1.25 for conference championship game + league MVP.  1.25m superbowl win + plays 50% of plays in league year or the superbowl.  Would escalate into the next years salary when earned.

2 void years at the end of contract if on roster at beginning of 2029 league year.

There is still things they can do with converting roster bonuses but overall this looks like a big cash grab by Mahomes’ agents, Cabot and Steinburgh.

Best trade CJ to NFC somebody  for something less than a late 3rd rnder I guess. I expect  CJ and his agents knew this and said F it.. play for the big contract someplace else and cut our loses. The NTBE incentives are just a way to save face.

SB or bust! Keeping MVPAT happy is finally rearing it's ugly head. I have to wonder if this was at Pat's request or Veach bowing to outside pressure or ??? All Veaches eggs are literally in one basket now. Andy leaves or worse then what?