Mahomes historic restructure.

On 9/18/2023 at 8:16 PM, xen said:

I imagine it will be more option bonuses or some other sort of guaranteed bonuses.  They moved when the bonuses are due from March at the beginning of the league year to May.  That says they want more flexibility to restructure after FA and draft. Right now they have to do it at the start of the league year. Since they kept that long framework they can still convert cash and spread the hits out.  I trust Mahomes and Veach/Borgonzi will structure this to stay competitive.  So far they been playing chess on the contracts when the rest of the league be playing checkers.  Can't wait to see the details.

Yeah pretty wrong.  Yikes

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Best trade CJ to NFC somebody  for something less than a late 3rd rnder I guess. I expect  CJ and his agents knew this and said F it.. play for the big contract someplace else and cut our loses. The NTBE incentives are just a way to save face.

SB or bust! Keeping MVPAT happy is finally rearing it's ugly head. I have to wonder if this was at Pat's request or Veach bowing to outside pressure or ??? All Veaches eggs are literally in one basket now. Andy leaves or worse then what?

I mean it's not all bad.  Without CJ they still have a lot of cap space to work with, especially if the cap jumps as expected.  But I definitely did not see this kind of rework coming.  Smells of Agents. 

I though I was somewhat correct when I told my nephew that his contract just hindered the Chiefs in the future. Of course I was only guessing (sort of) since the teams that have highly paid QB's usually have a playoff caliber team but are banking on having a damn good draft every year. Like 2-3 starters every year that are above average. And in the meantime letting slot of very good players walk in FA. What happens when every team has overpriced QB's? Then what . Free agency kind of dies with that I would think. But hopefully like most things I am wrong and Pat and veach have a plan in place to keep good players here.

5 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I though I was somewhat correct when I told my nephew that his contract just hindered the Chiefs in the future. Of course I was only guessing (sort of) since the teams that have highly paid QB's usually have a playoff caliber team but are banking on having a damn good draft every year. Like 2-3 starters every year that are above average. And in the meantime letting slot of very good players walk in FA. What happens when every team has overpriced QB's? Then what . Free agency kind of dies with that I would think. But hopefully like most things I am wrong and Pat and veach have a plan in place to keep good players here.

The original contract not so much, but after this rework, yeah.  Honestly though you are correct in that every team with a 2nd contract QB will be dealing with this.  Rookie QB contract teams with a good rookie continue to have a huge advantage.  Those teams that don't take advantage of it are dumb.

Like to see just how this all plays out. Chiefs had to so something where they can free up cap space. Seeing it now, it just looks like we will have minimal space at this moment.

Mahomes was cognizant of that. He not only wanted keep pace for personal reasons, but also to help the future contracts of other quarterbacks around the league.

“You’ve got to keep the bar going,” Mahomes said. “I don’t want people to be negotiated against me. That’s the reason you do something like I did, just to try to keep the market moving in the right direction.”

The revised contract now places the reigning MVP back near the top while also giving the Chiefs flexibility to sign and retain other players.

“Keep a lot of great dudes around me and keep cap space for other guys to get signed as well,” Mahomes said. “That’ll be something I do throughout my entire career to try to obviously make money for myself and my family but keep a lot of great players around me as well.”

41 minutes ago, xen said:

Rookie QB contract teams with a good rookie continue to have a huge advantage.  Those teams that don't take advantage of it are dumb.

True.  But only 2 quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl on a rookie contract.  And we have one of them. And he was immediately extended.  

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

True.  But only 2 quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl on a rookie contract.  And we have one of them. And he was immediately extended.  

Tom Brady with the Patriots in the 2001 season. Ben Roethlisberger with the Steelers in 2005. Eli Manning for the Giants in 2007. Russell Wilson and Mahomes.

46 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Mahomes was cognizant of that. He not only wanted keep pace for personal reasons, but also to help the future contracts of other quarterbacks around the league.

“You’ve got to keep the bar going,” Mahomes said. “I don’t want people to be negotiated against me. That’s the reason you do something like I did, just to try to keep the market moving in the right direction.”

it does not seem to me he's using the Brady model  and more worried about the other QB's wages..kind of an "Activist". Hope he enjoys losing once Andy calls it quits and all those commercials dries up. 

Wonder how many years Andy really is planning on coaching..1 more SB win maybe? or 5 yeas whatever comes first is my bet

18 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Those were different rookie contracts.  I'm talking the current version.  

Well you said rookie contracts so there is that. Plus those earlier ones were paid big bucks and bot slitting, which makes it more impressive as the money was gone them already, other than Brady being a 6th rounder back in the day.

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

it does not seem to me he's using the Brady model  and more worried about the other QB's wages..kind of an "Activist". Hope he enjoys losing once Andy calls it quits and all those commercials dries up. 

Wonder how many years Andy really is planning on coaching..1 more SB win maybe? or 5 yeas whatever comes first is my bet

Andy is about 6 years younger than BB.  Seems like he'll probably drop in his office rather than retire.

16 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well you said rookie contracts so there is that. Plus those earlier ones were paid big bucks and bot slitting, which makes it more impressive as the money was gone them already, other than Brady being a 6th rounder back in the day.

You are correct.  I did. My bad.    But I was referencing the contracts that give the big advantage under the new rules.  You are correct, the old ones were almost a disadvantage. 

32 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Andy finally has his dream QB - a once in a lifetime talent.

I’ll bet he’ll try to stick around until Pat retires. 

1 hour ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Well, i would just say that the Chiefs have a lot smarter people than us to manage the cap.  If they felt they could do it, I trust them and will just try to enjoy the game!

And this is why, until we see it broken down, I will wait. I find it hard to believe he added all this money without a way ti created cap space in a form of bonuses etc. We already see he guarantees the money now before the FA period, draft etc which helps the Chiefs with what they have for it all.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

And this is why, until we see it broken down, I will wait. I find it hard to believe he added all this money without a way ti created cap space in a form of bonuses etc. We already see he guarantees the money now before the FA period, draft etc which helps the Chiefs with what they have for it all.

Over the next 3 years there are almost 50m in roster bonuses that can be restructured.  And that's kinda where I'm at.

And hey listen, if there's anyone that can just burn the rules as we know them about modern roster construction it's Mahomes.  He's already won a superbowl while taking up the highest % of the cap.  They used to say you couldn't go over 15% in the modern era.  Well, you couldn't... then Mahomes.

So fuck it.   Happy Mahomes, happy life.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Over the next 3 years there are almost 50m in roster bonuses that can be restructured.  And that's kinda where I'm at.

And hey listen, if there's anyone that can just burn the rules as we know them about modern roster construction it's Mahomes.  He's already won a superbowl while taking up the highest % of the cap.  They used to say you couldn't go over 15% in the modern era.  Well, you couldn't... then Mahomes.

So fuck it.   Happy Mahomes, happy life.

Well I see that, but how he uses it will be key and exactly hownit works. With the cap going up and the way he manages it and new extension I think we will be just fine. Like many said he plays chess while the others are playing checkers. I just can't wait to see how brilliant it works in say, signing Jones and others, whether our own or FA the next couple of years. 

53 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well I see that, but how he uses it will be key and exactly hownit works. With the cap going up and the way he manages it and new extension I think we will be just fine. Like many said he plays chess while the others are playing checkers. I just can't wait to see how brilliant it works in say, signing Jones and others, whether our own or FA the next couple of years. 

Hope Veach doesn't switch to playing Candyland

3 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Well, i would just say that the Chiefs have a lot smarter people than us to manage the cap.  If they felt they could do it, I trust them and will just try to enjoy the game!

Meh. The cap is pretty basic accounting and cash management. Much harder management is done every day in business. The NFL cap and contract negotiations are just placed under a large microscope.

It's not magical or special. It's harder budgeting out limited cash flows for businesses with a lot of past-due payables to hundreds of vendors. 

The hardest decisions in sports related to having scouts and coaches good at seeing ascending versus descending player assets to determine when to buy and when to sell. 

23 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

TL:DR is that a lot of money got shifted from later years to 2023-26.  That total increases his cap hits the next 3 years after this one.  But because of how they shifted it, a lot more $ can be converted to other types of money that can be spread out over multiple years and they can now do it later in the league year, after FA and the draft = flexibility.  So good news bad news basically.

Seems the end-game on some recent draft classes might be the target. Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith need new deals for 25 on so money on the second half of those deals will be hedged a bit by lower Pat salaries. Omenihu, Scantling, and Reid are off the books in 25, and Thuney and Kelce in 26. In 26 you have the potential for quite a few priorities with McDuffie, Karlaftis, Moore, Cook, Chenal, Williams, Watson, Pacheco all hitting. Plus, gotta reload. Losing some big time players in Reid, Thuney, and Kelce.