The circus and the Jets game

It seems that way for fans, but I really don't think it's affecting the team, other than the questions about it after games. I think last night would have gone the same way Taylor Swift or not. Chris Jones said that's Travis's business and we don't get into that. 

49 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

complete absence of pass protection

That's kind of a stretch isn't it? 

They had some breakdowns against a damned good DL and LB corps. 

I put most of that on the receivers, and on the playcalling.

Has Andy never heard of play-action? Screens? Maybe a slant?

I was also not happy that he got 'cute' again on 4th and short. Yeah, he was successful, but dammit you don't take the ball out of the hands of the best player in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, mex said:

I was also not happy that he got 'cute' again on 4th and short. Yeah, he was successful, but dammit you don't take the ball out of the hands of the best player in the NFL. 

Andy's gonna Andy

3 minutes ago, artsy said:

I don't wanna belive it, but I think I'm finally starting to see Kelce's age showing up....He's looking a little slower that he has in past years, which is to be expected. But I don't like and I'm in denial. 

Yes. We need to get his replacement this next off season if he continues down this path. Give a new guy a year to learn and by the 2nd year, kelce 2 years from now, we can see about passing the torch. Kelce is still damn good though for now.

6 minutes ago, mex said:

There ain't no replacing Kelce. People need to get off that train.

Just get a good, serviceable TE without giving up the farm. Plenty of those out there.

Yea..That kid from Georgia WILL NOT BE THERE late in the first...(Assuming)

I argue the Jets are one of if not the best defenses in the NFL. Their QB play has killed them the last 21 games.

Kelce may get distracted, but he was still the only reliable guy to get open consistently. His age is definitely a concern.

There is a totally viable prototype TE though we can go trade for. This Kittle guy, best blocking TE in football, a few years younger. Would make Mahomes 1,000,000% better.

29 minutes ago, mex said:

There ain't no replacing Kelce. People need to get off that train.

Just get a good, serviceable TE without giving up the farm. Plenty of those out there.

there where plenty to be had  in the last draft but maybe reality will smack Veach & company in the face after this year. Grey has proven to be a nice surprise but need another him soto make the 2 TE sets something for the Defenses to consider...

I know I'm a Domer Homer but this kid over these last few games is a stud in the making and I dont think will be a early round pick 6'5" 260 and hands he's Jr too

24 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I argue the Jets are one of if not the best defenses in the NFL. Their QB play has killed them the last 21 games.

Kelce may get distracted, but he was still the only reliable guy to get open consistently. His age is definitely a concern.

There is a totally viable prototype TE though we can go trade for. This Kittle guy, best blocking TE in football, a few years younger. Would make Mahomes 1,000,000% better.

Wish we would have traded for Hockensen.  Vikings got a hell of a deal but he did cost them in his new contract. 

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Was last night's lack of Mahomes' concentration and complete absence of pass protection just an aberration, or is the Kelce-Swift circus distracting the Chiefs?  Could this obsession or press attention be harming the team?

I hear the National Enquirer is looking for writers.

4 hours ago, qnet said:

It seems that way for fans, but I really don't think it's affecting the team, other than the questions about it after games. I think last night would have gone the same way Taylor Swift or not. Chris Jones said that's Travis's business and we don't get into that. 

They don't get into it directly, but when players are interviewed by talking heads and questions are asked about it, it draws their attention away to some extent. I hope it doesn't affect them, but it sure is unusual to see Mahomes so out of it on the field in his decisions.    And where was Spags with all of his fancy and complex blitz schemes?  The Chiefs were very lucky to come out with a win AND NO INJURIES that I know of.  It could go a long way into making their season  a contending one.  3-1 seems a light year ahead of 2-2.

3 hours ago, mex said:

That's kind of a stretch isn't it? 

They had some breakdowns against a damned good DL and LB corps. 

I put most of that on the receivers, and on the playcalling.

I agree that it is a stretch, but there were some awful looking lapses in protection.  It didn't look like there was that much playcalling from Nagy and Reid, but I don't really know.  It looked like one of those games where they just told Mahomes to "do your thing."  Yes, the Jets D is extremely good.  I was amazed by their coverage and particularly their speed. Almost jaw dropping.  I found myself applauding a lot of their plays. Spags should have added and mixed blitzing packages to keep Zach Wilson off kilter and tentative and dazed like Lawrence was the previous week.  Why did he decide not to?

Anyway, I just wondered if the Swift-Kelce crap was kind of psychologically messing with their preparation.  Maybe.  Maybe not. Just asking what others think.  Personally it is driving me up the wall. So, I may be projecting my own annoyance.

16 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I agree that it is a stretch, but there were some awful looking lapses in protection.  It didn't look like there was that much playcalling from Nagy and Reid, but I don't really know.  It looked like one of those games where they just told Mahomes to "do your thing."  Yes, the Jets D is extremely good.  I was amazed by their coverage and particularly their speed. Almost jaw dropping.  I found myself applauding a lot of their plays. Spags should have added and mixed blitzing packages to keep Zach Wilson off kilter and tentative and dazed like Lawrence was the previous week.  Why did he decide not to?

Anyway, I just wondered if the Swift-Kelce crap was kind of psychologically messing with their preparation.  Maybe.  Maybe not. Just asking what others think.  Personally it is driving me up the wall. So, I may be projecting my own annoyance.

you are

53 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

but there were some awful looking lapses in protection

There were times when the OL lapsed... but I'm not sure it wasn't due to receivers not getting open, and Patrick having to work through his progressions. Twice. 

Not sure an OL could hold up to that. 

25 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe the Chiefs got a wake up call and didn't have to lose a game to receive it.  Trying to think positive. 

I already thought of that.  But Monday is a day for griping. Get with the program.

Think of this: If we had lost by 3 points, what would everyone be posting?  You already know, and it ain't pretty.

On 10/2/2023 at 11:56 AM, Fmbl2187 said:

Was last night's lack of Mahomes' concentration and complete absence of pass protection just an aberration, or is the Kelce-Swift circus distracting the Chiefs?  Could this obsession or press attention be harming the team?

Yeah, Mahomes just seemed a little "off" for whatever reason.  Both INTs looked like he was just casually flipping the ball, expecting the play to fix itself.

It looked like he didn't focus until he got pissed off and started running the ball himself.