1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You're not looking at the whole picture.  When the D is stacking the middle to stop the run, you have to keep them honest and spread them out a bit as a precaution for that.  An occasional wasted down is not always actually wasted. It just isn't obvious.  It is strategic.

but you still need to gain something

On 10/4/2023 at 4:01 PM, kkuenn said:

Slot receiver has to identify the coverages and use it to his advantage. Zone and he will know where to sit. Most play zone against us, due to Mahomes ability to make them pay for man coverage. Let him cook againat the zines and learn then to play man coverage better as the slot receiver.

Rice, with more time, should be really coming on. Can't wait to see in the later half how he looks. We still could use someone though as we are getting nothing from MVS, Toney or Moore. One of those 3 need to step it up. MVS is gone after this year. Toney will play out his rookie contract and if still showing nothing, will be gone. Moore is the one I hope steps it up. Good thing the 2024 draft is deep on WR.

59 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

We are getting Brock Bowers.  His ankle surgery has made him suddenly attainable.  So it is written, so shall it be.  

Its akin to the Packers going from Favre to Rodgers.  I wouldn't even mind trading up for him.  Keep an elite talent at TE for the remainder of Mahomes career.  Dude reminds me of Kelce after the catch.

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Its akin to the Packers going from Favre to Rodgers.  I wouldn't even mind trading up for him.  Keep an elite talent at TE for the remainder of Mahomes career.  Dude reminds me of Kelce after the catch.

Here are our next 21 picks after we picked Kelce in 2013.  How many of those picks would you trade to have locked down Kelce?

Knile Davis, Nico Johnson, Sanders Commings, Eric Kush, Braden Wilson, Mike Catapo, Dee Ford, Phillip Gaines, De'Anthony Thomas, Aaron Murray, Zach Fulton, Laurent Duvarney-Tardif, Marcus Peters, Mitch Morse, Chris Conley, Steven Nelson, Ramik Wilson, D J Alexander, James O'Shaughnessy, Rakeem Nunez Roches and Da'Ron Brown.  

41 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Here are our next 21 picks after we picked Kelce in 2013.  How many of those picks would you trade to have locked down Kelce?

Knile Davis, Nico Johnson, Sanders Commings, Eric Kush, Braden Wilson, Mike Catapo, Dee Ford, Phillip Gaines, De'Anthony Thomas, Aaron Murray, Zach Fulton, Laurent Duvarney-Tardif, Marcus Peters, Mitch Morse, Chris Conley, Steven Nelson, Ramik Wilson, D J Alexander, James O'Shaughnessy, Rakeem Nunez Roches and Da'Ron Brown.  

Looking at this list and seeing Morse, knowing we drafted Hudson too and having Creed now.... we do a damn good job on drafting centers.

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

All three were 2nd round picks.  Most teams don't draft centers that high I think. 

A ton are drafted late first through 3rd round. Before Hudson, wisniewski was picked.  Before Morse I think 1 or 2, would have to look it up. Before Creed there were a 2 others picked.  So we may pick a center in the late 2nd it seems, but we have done very well as most of the times they are not the first ones off the board.

6 hours ago, reesebobby said:

We are getting Brock Bowers.  His ankle surgery has made him suddenly attainable.  So it is written, so shall it be.  

So the Chiefs can see through the injury/surgery to the potential of Bowers but the other teams can't?  Don't think it works that way.  There are several TEs in the next draft looking pretty good and a lot of WRs.  The Chiefs may have a real opportunity for an offensive weapon, but they have to address the LT position.   

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So the Chiefs can see through the injury/surgery to the potential of Bowers but the other teams can't?  Don't think it works that way.  There are several TEs in the next draft looking pretty good and a lot of WRs.  The Chiefs may have a real opportunity for an offensive weapon, but that have

to address the LT position.   

No. But the injury possibly makes him fall a little and makes a trade more doable. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

So the Chiefs can see through the injury/surgery to the potential of Bowers but the other teams can't?  Don't think it works that way. 

Other teams didn't want Trey Smith because of medical issues... the Chiefs knew he was a dandy.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

So the Chiefs can see through the injury/surgery to the potential of Bowers but the other teams can't?  Don't think it works that way.  There are several TEs in the next draft looking pretty good and a lot of WRs.  The Chiefs may have a real opportunity for an offensive weapon, but they have to address the LT position.   

I think Bowers could be in traction, in a full-body cast on draft day, and he would still go in the top 10.

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Good point.  The difference is that Smith was a serious risk to never play while Bowers would be expected to fully recover.

Could be most teams are looking for an immediate alternative... whereas in the case of TE the Chiefs can afford to invest in a longer term goal. I don't see us getting him tho... but who knows. I'm biased here, but Cade Stover is the real deal... having a good season, and could be under the radar enough the Chiefs might have a chance. Lots of good TEs out there this year... so I'm confident we'll get one that Andy, Veach and Patrick like. 

6 hours ago, mex said:

Could be most teams are looking for an immediate alternative... whereas in the case of TE the Chiefs can afford to invest in a longer term goal. I don't see us getting him tho... but who knows. I'm biased here, but Cade Stover is the real deal... having a good season, and could be under the radar enough the Chiefs might have a chance. Lots of good TEs out there this year... so I'm confident we'll get one that Andy, Veach and Patrick like. 

The Chiefs may be looking for OT, WR, and TE next spring depending on FA and who they resign.  I think OT will have the highest priority, but BPA in those three positions may be the way they go.  There's very few "under the radar" players in the draft, at least until day three.  A Brady, Purdy, or even Pacheko is important to a team's draft success, but even the drafting teams didn't have high expectations of them on draft day.  The best part of Veach's success is finding day three picks that become starters.  That's probably not how the Chiefs will get their TEOTF.  

Lachey out of Iowa. He is a junior but had an injury. He will be at the combine, or close to be good to go by then. This guy because of injury will fall to later rounds if he declares. He is the next LaPorta type to come out but the injury will push him down the boards.

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Lachey out of Iowa. He is a junior but had an injury. He will be at the combine, or close to be good to go by then. This guy because if injury will fall to later rounds if he declares. He is the next LaPorta type to come out but the injury will push him down the boards.

He's a preseason third team all big ten with 13 career starts and an injury.  Walter has him as the 2nd highest ranked Iowa tight end and describes him as a physical blocker and a "functional" receiver.  I defer to your iowa knowledge, but he doesn't sound like what we are looking for to supplement/replace an aging Kelce.  

8 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

He's a preseason third team all big ten with 13 career starts and an injury.  Walter has him as the 2nd highest ranked Iowa tight end and describes him as a physical blocker and a "functional" receiver.  I defer to your iowa knowledge, but he doesn't sound like what we are looking for to supplement/replace an aging Kelce.  

Phil Steele had him 2nd all big ten. Most had Erik All as the better TE but after seeing them together, Lachey was the guy getting it done before injury. Lachey would do well to go back for his senior season to improve his stock after this injury, but down the line he will be a better TE than All. He was on the Mackey list also. 6'6" and 255 pounds is a good sized TE that runs like Kelce.if he declares and is there late 3rd to 5th round he will be the George Kittle type of TE everyone wonders why he went so late 

Just now, kkuenn said:

Phil Steele had him 2nd all big ten. Most had Erik All as the better TE but after seeing them together, Lachey was the guy getting it done before injury. Lachey would do well to go back for his senior season to improve his stock after this injury, but down the line he will be a better TE than All. He was on the Mackey list also. 6'6" and 255 pounds is a good sized TE that runs like Kelce.if he declares and is there late 3rd to 5th round he will be the George Kittle type of TE everyone wonders why he went so late 

I'm sorry. I'd rather have Bowers.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs may be looking for OT, WR, and TE next spring depending on FA and who they resign.  I think OT will have the highest priority, but BPA in those three positions may be the way they go.  There's very few "under the radar" players in the draft, at least until day three.  A Brady, Purdy, or even Pacheko is important to a team's draft success, but even the drafting teams didn't have high expectations of them on draft day.  The best part of Veach's success is finding day three picks that become starters.  That's probably not how the Chiefs will get their TEOTF.  

Folks need to get it out of their brain that 'we need to replace Kelce.'

That's just never going to happen.

But we can still get a serviceable TE who can help us win SBs on day 2. 

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm sorry. I'd rather have Bowers.  

Well for now, yes. Thing is I doubt he is there for us to get. If we went just by the higher ranked guys we would have gone after Eifert, Ertz, McDonald or Escobar and not after Kelce. Those were the guys who went before Kelce and had more of the upside etc.

Hell I wanted LaPorta but never thought before the combine he would go in the 1st round. I wanted kittle too when he kept sliding to the 5th. I even wish we could have traded for Hockensen with what he went for to the Lions. Noah Fant is not being utilized correctly imo, in Seattle. Yes I am an Iowa guy but they keep putting out damn good TEs. The offense they run has them more NFL ready too.