Just now, mex said:

Folks need to get it out of their brain that 'we need to replace Kelce.'

That's just never going to happen.

But we can still get a serviceable TE who can help us win SBs on day 2. 

Maybe, but people also liked our "serviceable" WR group and weren't concerned with replacing Juju and Tyreek.  Serviceable is rarely getting it done in today's NFL.  Anyone that is a serious contender has serious weapons--the Bengals, Dolphins, Bills, Eagles, 49ers, etc 

42 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Maybe, but people also liked our "serviceable" WR group and weren't concerned with replacing Juju and Tyreek.  Serviceable is rarely getting it done in today's NFL.  Anyone that is a serious contender has serious weapons--the Bengals, Dolphins, Bills, Eagles, 49ers, etc 

I agree. 
speed is what we need. 

7 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Those teams will all be in the same shape we are... let's see the bengals pay burrow and chase and higgins. Somethings gotta give. 

16 hours ago, mex said:

Folks need to get it out of their brain that 'we need to replace Kelce.'

That's just never going to happen.

But we can still get a serviceable TE who can help us win SBs on day 2. 

was often said about Gonzo as well and define "serviceable"

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

True but it was 5 yrs after gonzo left till we drafted Kelce.  I don't really care if it's a TE or WR but they will need to find someone that can be that guy that Mahomes counts on and looks to.  Im not sure the chemistry those 2 have can happen with anybody else though.  

My hope is Rice turns out to be that guy as I think he Is showing promise in that regard.  

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Serviceable is definitely a broad term... by that I meant a TE that can block, catch, and has an above average ability to find the seams.  There are always superstar TEs... but will we ever get one who has telepathic powers with his QB? And if so, can we get him drafting with 1st rd picks in the 30's? 

Maybe. We got Kelce in rd 3. And IIRC Kittle was a low pick. So it's possible. But I doubt we can replace Kelce. 

1 hour ago, mex said:

Serviceable is definitely a broad term... by that I meant a TE that can block, catch, and has an above average ability to find the seams.  There are always superstar TEs... but will we ever get one who has telepathic powers with his QB? And if so, can we get him drafting with 1st rd picks in the 30's? 

Maybe. We got Kelce in rd 3. And IIRC Kittle was a low pick. So it's possible. But I doubt we can replace Kelce. 

Kelce is 1 of 1.  We'll never see another who wins like he does.   I'd settle for another really good tight end or receiver who can beat man and zone, or at least learn to beat zone.  Also who stays relatively healthy.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Kelce is 1 of 1.  We'll never see another who wins like he does.   I'd settle for another really good tight end or receiver who can beat man and zone, or at least learn to beat zone.  Also who stays relatively healthy.

My point exactly. I guess 'serviceable' is too loose of a term in a forum built on people arguing.

I don't mind "serviceable" as a starting point. Very young group with a lot of upside that will likely get better as the season goes on. I don't mind bringing in a veteran WR2 or WR3 but overall I think we'll have some youngsters break through similar to Pacheco last season.

I wouldn't bank on it but I expect both Moore and Rice turn into solid options before the playoffs and if Toney can get his act together I think we'll be fine. As long as we have Mahomes the offense will survive. 

3 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

Is this true? 

Trade: Jets informed former Chiefs’ WR Mecole Hardman that he is being sent back to Kansas City in another late-round draft pick swap, per sources.

per Adam Schefter on X(formerly twitter) 

yup..some butts on here are sucking air through a silly straw right about now

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

yup..some butts on here are sucking air through a silly straw right about now

I remember after that game against the Lions saying that Mecole probably would have taken that dropped pass by Toney and subsequent pick six to the house if he was thrown that layup and you agreed with me. Glad he’s back. Who gets sent down to the Practice Squad, released or gets sent to IR is the next question. 

On 10/17/2023 at 10:10 PM, reesebobby said:

At some point you have to attempt to draft and develop a wr corp and I think most like the potential development of his wr corp, not that it would be serviceable.  Early results are in and only Rice appears to be ascending which sadly makes our wr corp very underwhelming.  Mahomes can win with this group but thats not a recipe for success and it also puts way to much pressure on Mahomes.  The defense appears to have been fixed or upgraded for the next couple years, so finding Mahomes legit weapons is paramount.  Kelce is slowing and we seem to have found a weapon in Rice but Toney,  MVS, and Watson aren't long term solutions and Moore looks more like a bust than a contributor. 

It says a lot when getting Hardman back from a pretty blah offense will probably help raise the bar of the wr a little.  Will be sad our wr corp costs us a legit chance this year.  I still think the group will get better and hopefully be sufficient but moving forward we gotta find a stud #1. 

45 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

At some point you have to attempt to draft and develop a wr corp and I think most like the potential development of his wr corp, not that it would be serviceable.  Early results are in and only Rice appears to be ascending which sadly makes our wr corp very underwhelming.  Mahomes can win with this group but thats not a recipe for success and it also puts way to much pressure on Mahomes.  The defense appears to have been fixed or upgraded for the next couple years, so finding Mahomes legit weapons is paramount.  Kelce is slowing and we seem to have found a weapon in Rice but Toney,  MVS, and Watson aren't long term solutions and Moore looks more like a bust than a contributor. 

It says a lot when getting Hardman back from a pretty blah offense will probably help raise the bar of the wr a little.  Will be sad our wr corp costs us a legit chance this year.  I still think the group will get better and hopefully be sufficient but moving forward we gotta find a stud #1. 

I’m not sure that #1 guy isn’t already on the roster but he’s a rookie who needs more game time targets and snaps. 

50 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

I’m not sure that #1 guy isn’t already on the roster but he’s a rookie who needs more game time targets and snaps. 

Yep. And to be fair, Hardman was drafted by us. If he can offer some quick slants to a go route for us, he would be doing Toney and MVS jobs then. MVS is gone after this year, he needs to play like he is a FA. Moore just ain't getting it at this time. Hardman, was he ever truly a go to guy for Mahomes? He is a upgrade but we still need that true 1 wr with complements from the other guys we have now. Rice seems to be trending to that position.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yep. And to be fair, Hardman was drafted by us. If he can offer some quick slants to a go route for us, he would be doing Toney and MVS jobs then. MVS is gone after this year, he needs to play like he is a FA. Moore just ain't getting it st this time. Hardman, was he ever truly a go to guy for Mahomes? He is an upgrade but we still need that true 1 wr with complements from the other guys we have now. Rice seems to be trending to that position.

Rice is that guy. He leads the Chiefs in receiving yards. He’s trending towards close to 700 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns for this year. This guy is that guy so far 

So far Rice has only been able to produce out of the slot.  He has not been great when trying to get off press outside.  He's really good when you can scheme up releases inside but we need more than that.  We need some production out wide.  He can learn that but it usually takes more than 1 year to get good at a release package.  Some guys never get it so remains to be seen.  He has the size and tools for it, unlike mecole.

Veteran wide receivers Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore haven't produced as the Chiefs hoped. The three have combined for 35 catches, 353 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Hardman will help out quite a bit. That above is just sad to see.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38689014/sources-jets-trade-wr-mecole-hardman-back-chiefs