Veach is pretty smart after all

Glad we did not pay big money for any of these Players:

Randy Gregory, 30, signed a five-year, $70 million contract in March 2022. His $14 million base salary this season and another $5 million next season are fully guaranteed. (Getting Released by Denver)

C.J. Jackson signed a five-year, $82.5 million deal with the Chargers last offseason after four seasons with the Patriots. (Got Traded back to New England)

Chandler Jones signed a three-year, $51 million contract in 2022 with the Las Vegas Raiders (Released after getting arrested)

• The title was changed to Veach is pretty smart after all

2 minutes ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I am not the contract guru that some of you guys are so I ask are those contracts still guaranteed after being released?  

Entirely depends on the contract.  Usually it's just earned and paid bonuses.  If they have salary guarantees it's usually just for injury.

1 hour ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I am not the contract guru that some of you guys are so I ask are those contracts still guaranteed after being released?  

Chargers paying a good chunk for the trade and then New Englamd picks up the remainder of it.

Gregory, 30, signed a five-year, $70 million contract in March 2022. His $14 million base salary this season and another $5 million next season are fully guaranteed, according to the Roster Management System.
The total hit of $22.4 million is the largest dead money cap hit for a defensive player in NFL history, according to Zach Segars of Let's Talk Broncos. Denver will have a net savings of $9.8 million worth of cap space in 2024, and Gregory won't be owed anything from the team in 2025.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Chargers paying a good chunk for the trade and then New Englamd picks up the remainder of it.

Gregory, 30, signed a five-year, $70 million contract in March 2022. His $14 million base salary this season and another $5 million next season are fully guaranteed, according to the Roster Management System.
The total hit of $22.4 million is the largest dead money cap hit for a defensive player in NFL history, according to Zach Segars of Let's Talk Broncos. Denver will have a net savings of $9.8 million worth of cap space in 2024, and Gregory won't be owed anything from the team in 2025.

Umm, Gregory is being released, not traded.  I think you are thinking of JC Jackson.

20 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Umm, Gregory is being released, not traded.  I think you are thinking of JC Jackson.

Yeah, Jackson who I did not say in the first paragraph, then on to Gregory and finally Jones. I was doing all 3, just did not say Jackson but assumed one would know as it is the Chargers, NE trade for him.

Concurring on "Veach is pretty smart"....

As a reminder, my buddy from Stanford is the 49er's Cap Expert.  He rates Veach as one of the top 3 GM's in the game.

His words (from my memory) "Veach is young, energetic, uses all sorts of leading statistical metrics, leans on the Coaches and builds professional rapport with players"

In other words, he does the whole job and does it well.

We are very lucky he is the GM.

w

Chargers really ate some shit on that trade. His original 5-year deal had a 25 m signing bonus. The Chargers converted 7.8m of his remaining salary this season to a signing bonus to make the trade. So 15 + 5.85 = 20.85 accelerates onto next year's cap. They eat another 1.95 on this year's cap. All that to gain a 6th for a 7th and JC. They must really hate JC in LA. 

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

all of this speaks to how desperately the rest of the AFC West teams are looking for any way to try to close the gap between their teams and the chiefs

they have failed miserably so far

Aren't all teams desperate to improve?  The careers of management, coaches, and staff depend on it.  The Chiefs have won a series of divisional titles plus SB wins and we're still seeking that stud WR that will make them better.  Sometimes taking a FA shot works, more often it doesn't.  Success comes from drafting really well and coaching up the talent.  

On 10/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, KC Warpaint said:

Glad we did not pawhay big money for any of these Players:

Randy Gregory, 30, signed a five-year, $70 million contract in March 2022. His $14 million base salary this season and another $5 million next season are fully guaranteed. (Getting Released by Denver)

C.J. Jackson signed a five-year, $82.5 million deal with the Chargers last offseason after four seasons with the Patriots. (Got Traded back to New England)

Chandler Jones signed a three-year, $51 million contract in 2022 with the Las Vegas Raiders (Released after getting arrested)

a

Sometimes it is what you DON'T do the makes you a winner.