Veach is pretty smart after all

4 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I am still perplexed over the J Taylor deal. That could look ugly if he doesn't settle in and anchor the right side. A lot of times we look at other's warts without looking at our own.

I felt like Veach overpaid a bit when he made that deal and the biggest reason was that Taylor only really had one good season coming into this. I liked taking the chance with that pickup, but the money could blow up in his face on that one given we can't really cut him loose until 2025. Hopefully he puts it together. 

4 hours ago, kccrow said:

I felt like Veach overpaid a bit when he made that deal and the biggest reason was that Taylor only really had one good season coming into this. I liked taking the chance with that pickup, but the money could blow up in his face on that one given we can't really cut him loose until 2025. Hopefully he puts it together. 

By all accounts from the coaches, he is playing very well.  Just being picked on by the refs right now.  Nothing called the last couple of games that I can recall.  Would you rather have Wiley back?

Remember, Taylor was going to switch to the left in the initial plan.  He is obviously versatile.  So far, I don't think the Chiefs overpaid.

9 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

By all accounts from the coaches, he is playing very well.  Just being picked on by the refs right now.  Nothing called the last couple of games that I can recall.  Would you rather have Wiley back?

Remember, Taylor was going to switch to the left in the initial plan.  He is obviously versatile.  So far, I don't think the Chiefs overpaid.

He didn't get picked on in Minneapolis. 

LTs are not going to ever bat 1000. They're often going up against the best DEs in the league and shit happens.

Everyone is saying how much of a gamble he was... as if Andy, Veach, and Heck didn't look at tons of film, interview him multiple times, and collaborate on their thoughts as to his talent and ultimate value. 

The guy isn't doing poorly. At all. Yeah, I get it... we have a mobile QB who feels pressure most of the time and can avoid it. A huge advantage in the league.

Screenshot (67).png

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

They may go for a LT this draft or FA and if nothing is there, settle for another RT and move Taylor. Have to see what we have too in the likes of Morris or others.

Here's the thing...Certainly Taylor isn't crap. But he is the 2nd highest paid RT in the NFL. He is being paid as if he is elite. The ROI isn't there. Not panicking. Certainly not overreacting. He likely can elevate his level of play but not sure we will ever get what we paid for. That's just the truth of it. 

No need to worry about Taylor yet.  If the Chiefs can find a good solution at LT next season, their OL could be elite.  Overpaid?  Maybe for a RT but remember, when he was signed the Chiefs had no one to play LT and he was projected there.  It's a bummer to not have the cap space to pick up some other FAs this summer, but I don't blame Veach for grabbing Taylor.  Clark was overpaid and the Chiefs won two SBs with his contributions being  a real factor.  

Taylor is being paid somewhat more for his versatility.  How much that is worth, I don't know.  But the Chiefs like versatility.  So, his contract does not assume him to be only a RT, but a LT as well.  For that reason alone, he is likely not overpaid, right?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't looked at any stats or analytics but Taylor looks to be coming into his own.   Two new tackles in one offseason is bound to take some time.  Bosa and Mack are are really good Pass Rushing combo.  They more than held their own.   I do think they overpaid because I don't think anyone was giving Taylor that kind of money but it solves a major problem for us and as long as he is above avg it will be ok because of how well we have drafted recently.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, dhitter said:

Here's the thing...Certainly Taylor isn't crap. But he is the 2nd highest paid RT in the NFL. He is being paid as if he is elite. The ROI isn't there. Not panicking. Certainly not overreacting. He likely can elevate his level of play but not sure we will ever get what we paid for. That's just the truth of it. 

I think a guy who is obtained to protect the best QB in football and who succeeds at protecting him is, by definition, "elite" and should continue to be paid as such.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think a guy who is obtained to protect the best QB in football and who succeeds at protecting him is, by definition, "elite" and should continue to be paid as such.

Yes, and anything that give Mahomes protection and time is always a great thing to have.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I haven't looked at any stats or analytics but Taylor looks to be coming into his own.   Two new tackles in one offseason is bound to take some time.  Bosa and Mack are are really good Pass Rushing combo.  They more than held their own.   I do think they overpaid because I don't think anyone was giving Taylor that kind of money but it solves a major problem for us and as long as he is above avg it will be ok because of how well we have drafted recently.

His play only suffered because he had to make an adjustment to the depth of his outside foot on his pass sets. That's a hard thing to do on the fly. He's gotten away with lining up how he did for so long, it's pretty impressive he's already coming around.