Tyreek. 8 for 62. No tds.

1 hour ago, xen said:

And rightfully so.  Interior pressure is the hardest thing to come by for a defense and the hardest thing to deal with for an offense.  And CJ is one of the best to ever do it.  Off ball linebackers and interior linemen dont even come close to impacting a game as much.  Plus you can find those guys all over the draft outside the first round.  

Sneed is 100% gone btw.  He will command a lot of money in FA.  Resigning Humphrey and Bolton is doable. Let the rest go test FA.

Jones needs to reduce his demands, if only to make up for the stupid, game-changing penalties.

1 hour ago, xen said:

And rightfully so.  Interior pressure is the hardest thing to come by for a defense and the hardest thing to deal with for an offense.  And CJ is one of the best to ever do it.  Off ball linebackers and interior linemen dont even come close to impacting a game as much.  Plus you can find those guys all over the draft outside the first round.  

Sneed is 100% gone btw.  He will command a lot of money in FA.  Resigning Humphrey and Bolton is doable. Let the rest go test FA.

Yep.  Sneed is gone.  Especially after shutting Hill down yesterday.

I am not convinced that Jones is a priority anymore, though.  They made a more than reasonable offer in the offseason and might be ready to move on.  Probably a tag and trade at best.  I hope not, as he isn't replaceable.

Get Bolton and Creed extended.  I think they could pay Smith, also, as Thuney only has a year left.  

6 minutes ago, xen said:

Meh it's 99-1 game changing plays vs game changing boneheadedness

Yesterday he had 1 assisted tackle and 1 game-changing, head up his ass mistake. 1-1.

To get up to 99-1 he's got some makin' up to do.

43 minutes ago, mex said:

Jones needs to reduce his demands, if only to make up for the stupid, game-changing penalties.

He is playing into a well less contract at this time. Yes he gets doubled up etc but he also is not putting up the defensive player of the year stats. Another year older and he will probably get less than originally offered or close to it. Hell, some team may offer the moon too.

It will suck but a guy that will be 32 it might just save us also on a bad contract? I would love to tag for one more year. This can allow us to improve/develop behind him or even to trade him for a good pick(s) if he does not stay.

57 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

He is playing into a well less contract at this time. Yes he gets doubled up etc but he also is not putting up the defensive player of the year stats. Another year older and he will probably get less than originally offered or close to it. Hell, some team may offer the moon too.

It will suck but a guy that will be 32 it might just save us also on a bad contract? I would love to tag for one more year. This can allow us to improve/develop behind him or even to trade him for a good pick(s) if he does not stay.

At this point it would be a team that was on the cusp of a championship that might fork out the dollars for him. If it happens, great for CJ. He's been excellent for the Chiefs and in our last few cham[pionships has played a key role. I wish him the best. But at some point ROI must be considered, and as mentioned above, guys like Bolton, Gay, Tranquil, McDuffie etc are equally important to our success... and they're younger. 

If he puts up amazing stats this year, he'll want top dollar and there's just no way we can afford it. I'd love to keep him too but the budget is what it is. Reason why we couldn't pick up a good WR before the trade deadline was because we didn't have the cash. 

Figuring out all that stuff ain't easy... that's why Veach makes the big bucks.

8 minutes ago, mex said:

At this point it would be a team that was on the cusp of a championship that might fork out the dollars for him. If it happens, great for CJ. He's been excellent for the Chiefs and in our last few cham[pionships has played a key role. I wish him the best. But at some point ROI must be considered, and as mentioned above, guys like Bolton, Gay, Tranquil, McDuffie etc are equally important to our success... and they're younger. 

If he puts up amazing stats this year, he'll want top dollar and there's just no way we can afford it. I'd love to keep him too but the budget is what it is. Reason why we couldn't pick up a good WR before the trade deadline was because we didn't have the cash. 

Figuring out all that stuff ain't easy... that's why Veach makes the big bucks.

But......Veech Sucks

2 hours ago, mex said:

Yesterday he had 1 assisted tackle and 1 game-changing, head up his ass mistake. 1-1.

To get up to 99-1 he's got some makin' up to do.

Yesterday the fins line spent much of their attention on him and it freed up other guys.  

His mistake did not ultimately affect the outcome so did not really change the game.  But yeah was a bonehead move.

15 minutes ago, xen said:

Yesterday the fins line spent much of their attention on him and it freed up other guys.  

His mistake did not ultimately affect the outcome so did not really change the game.  But yeah was a bonehead move.

Every team doubles up on him. He's the #1 player on our defense. While his mistake didn't actually cost us yesterday, it very well COULD have. Like last year vs Indy. 

I'm not going all 'clark' on him. I like him and he's been a crucial part of our team for the last half-decade. But he's commanding a metric fuck-ton of money, and next year that's not likely to change. It would be great to keep him but I'm not so sure that's possible. Especially if he has another great year.

You know more than anyone the balancing job required to stay in budget, especially with an all-century quarterback and TE in the mix. And with some young, up and coming all-pro defensive players that we need to keep.

Sometimes tough choices gotta be made... as with Clark. I wouldn't want that pressure, but Veach has done great so far. This is literally Veach's job:

Combination Tricks ⋆ Thom Wall

5 hours ago, xen said:

Not saying Jones isn't valuable to the team.  But there's a limit on how much can be tied up in just one or two players without hurting the rest of the roster.  Mahomes is a given.  I'm not sure why the Chiefs reworked his contract at this time, but it was probably for a good reason.  $30 million to just too much to tie up in one D lineman.  The Chiefs have to address the LT position, they need a top WR, they need to replace Sneed and find help at TE, plus they need to resign some of their players coming off their rookie contracts.  The Patriots stayed on top so long partly because they didn't get top heavy with their contracts.  

Most definitely CJ will have to come off his demands a bit.  He'll be 30 on any new contract.  I think the hangup, much like on Tyreek before we traded him, is not AAV, but guaranteed %.  Also his agents being newbie idiots is a barrier.

That said if there's some middle ground to be had, signing CJ does not preclude us from re-signing anyone we want as I have said before.  Following Veach's preferred contract model the first year cap hit is usually quite low.

Assuming the projected cap increases are correct (they may actually be higher depending on revenue) we have 30m+ in cap space next year and 124m+ the year after, including Mahomes new contract.  After that the cap number is almost irrelevant as it will be a mostly new team and who knows what that will look like, but fwiw the following year we have 299m+ in cap space.

4 hours ago, xen said:

Most definitely CJ will have to come off his demands a bit.  He'll be 30 on any new contract.  I think the hangup, much like on Tyreek before we traded him, is not AAV, but guaranteed %.  Also his agents being newbie idiots is a barrier.

That said if there's some middle ground to be had, signing CJ does not preclude us from re-signing anyone we want as I have said before.  Following Veach's preferred contract model the first year cap hit is usually quite low.

Assuming the projected cap increases are correct (they may actually be higher depending on revenue) we have 30m+ in cap space next year and 124m+ the year after, including Mahomes new contract.  After that the cap number is almost irrelevant as it will be a mostly new team and who knows what that will look like, but fwiw the following year we have 299m+ in cap space.

This is where I get thrown off. Yeah the cap increases every year.

But it increases the same for all teams, which means other teams can now afford to pay more to keep valuable players, which drives up the cost of free agents.  It is like inflation... they raise the cap because they know these players are getting more and more money, so the teams are more than happy to max it out to get the best roster possible. 

So to me, these increases in the cap aren't as beneficial as it would seem. What am I missing?

4 hours ago, xen said:

Does that $30 million next year include a Jones contract?  Aside from MVS, Bell, and CEH, there's not too many players I want to see gone.   Maybe Nnadi could be let go.

49 minutes ago, mex said:

This is where I get thrown off. Yeah the cap increases every year.

But it increases the same for all teams, which means other teams can now afford to pay more to keep valuable players, which drives up the cost of free agents.  It is like inflation... they raise the cap because they know these players are getting more and more money, so the teams are more than happy to max it out to get the best roster possible. 

So to me, these increases in the cap aren't as beneficial as it would seem. What am I missing?

Unless the other team is going to use all that extra cash to give CJ a 33 mil per year avg, we can meet most prices with the increase. If you get 40 mil per year increase it allows you to use that for ine player or divide it among others.

Sure, they get the same increase, but they also have to them blow away our price and use it all up in most cases. We then take the 3rd round comp and use it elsewhere. To me the draft is key. We keep hitting on it and we will be fine. We also are one of the youngest rosters in the nfl. That is very helpful as it balances us with cheap contracts and the few expensive ones.

We also have to set the contracts up to give us help in any given year like we did with Mahomes originally. Veach so far has done an amazing job at this. 

32 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Veach so far has done an amazing job at this. 

agree... but I'm with Jetlord... CJ is awesome and I'd love to keep him but he's getting old and we have some amazing young players we'll need to keep.  I'd prefer to keep the LB corps intact, and the secondary with the understanding we ain't gonna be able to keep Sneed. 

I am looking forward to seeing cincy deal with their new contracts next year. It's gonna be pain.