Kelce passes Gonzo

1 hour ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

I remember the 1970s and 1980s when the Chiefs went through TE after TE, looking for someone to step up. It was year after year of futility. 

All that ended when the Chiefs picked TG. Two HOF TEs whose careers followed so quickly after one other is rare air. 

Futility went on after Gonzo.  After him they took Chris Wilson, Billy Baber, Michael Allen, Mike Merritt, Brad Cottam, Jake OConnell, and Tony Moeake, before finally hitting on Kelce.  Since then they've snagged James Oshanacy and Noah Gray.  Remember all the years when every draft we complained that the Chiefs would take one more TE that wouldn't work out?  Now many are begging for another.  

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Futility went on after Gonzo.  After him they took Chris Wilson, Billy Baber, Michael Allen, Mike Merritt, Brad Cottam, Jake OConnell, and Tony Moeake, before finally hitting on Kelce.  Since then they've snagged James Oshanacy and Noah Gray.  Remember all the years when every draft we complained that the Chiefs would take one more TE that wouldn't work out?  Now many are begging for another.  

Oh, there was an interregnum to be sure. But, to have the services of two HOF GOAT-worthy TEs within such a short span of time is something to truly be thankful for. 

BTW, Moeaki would have filled the gap nicely if he could have stayed healthy. 

Nads, looking back at the 70's and 80's....our GM and Coaching was horrible....Hunt Senior was a visionary but he screwed the pooch until Marty showed up with Peterson

The franchise truly went south with the selection of Blackledge...those were horrible years.

17 minutes ago, West said:

Nads, looking back at the 70's and 80's....our GM and Coaching was horrible....Hunt Senior was a visionary but he screwed the pooch until Marty showed up with Peterson

The franchise truly went south with the selection of Blackledge...those were horrible years.

If you want to get truly depressed look at those drafts 1970 - 1983 or so. Criminal. 

1 hour ago, West said:

Lamar Hunt was a visionary and gracious man but he was too loyal to his senior employees.  The team declined under Steadman in the early '70s, but Schaaf was the GM for 13 years after that and the team won less than 40% of their games in that time.  Failed coaches, failed drafts, failed FAs.  Fans could walk up to Arrowhead on game day and get good seats from scalpers for near nothing just before kickoff.  Hunt tolerated that for 13 long years.  Contrast that to the price of a ticket to the Philly game this year.  

3 hours ago, West said:

13 players drafted in 1975.  A total of 13 career games played, and 2 of them were for NO.  manoman

ear Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St wAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
1975 2 Elmore Stephens 34 TE   0 0 0                               Kentucky
1975 3 Cornelius Walker 59 DT   0 0 0                               Rice
1975 6 Morris LaGrand 137 RB 1975 0 0 0 0 13 0 0 0 0 0 13 38 1 1 -1 0     Tampa
1975 6 Dave Wasick 139 LB   0 0 0                               San Jose St.
1975 8 Wayne Hoffman 189 TE   0 0 0                               Oklahoma
1975 11 Dale Hegland 268 G   0 0 0                               Minnesota
1975 12 James Rackley 293 RB   0 0 0                               Florida A&M
1975 13 John Snider 318 LB   0 0 0                               Stanford
1975 14 Gene Moshier 346 G   0 0 0                               Vanderbilt
1975 16 Mark Petersen 396 DE   0 0 0                               Illinois
1975 17 Mike Bulino 424 DB   0 0 0                               Pittsburgh

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Lamar Hunt was a visionary and gracious man but he was too loyal to his senior employees.  The team declined under Steadman in the early '70s, but Schaaf was the GM for 13 years after that and the team won less than 40% of their games in that time.  Failed coaches, failed drafts, failed FAs.  Fans could walk up to Arrowhead on game day and get good seats from scalpers for near nothing just before kickoff.  Hunt tolerated that for 13 long years.  Contrast that to the price of a ticket to the Philly game this year.  

I remember those day well.  I born as a Chiefs fan and went to my 1st Chiefs live Chiefs game when my oldest son now 40 was 10 years old.  I bought  tickets by phone on Friday, drove to Arrowhead Stadium, sat mid Field level on the 50 yard line with empty seats around us.   The Chiefs played the Seahawks that game and won.  

I love them both, but in fairness to Gonzo; Kelce really blew up once Mahomes arrived. Trent Green was the best GB Toney G ever had when he played with the Chiefs. 

I wish I had paid attention to the Chiefs as a kid,  but they were so bad I didn't care. I was watching Shaggy Shane, who is only a couple of years younger than me. He said that when Blackledge would struggle, the HC Mackovic would pull him and put Kenny in. I also wonder why Mackovic was fired after a 10-6 season.

20 hours ago, qnet said:

I love them both, but in fairness to Gonzo; Kelce really blew up once Mahomes arrived. Trent Green was the best GB Toney G ever had when he played with the Chiefs. 

I wish I had paid attention to the Chiefs as a kid,  but they were so bad I didn't care. I was watching Shaggy Shane, who is only a couple of years younger than me. He said that when Blackledge would struggle, the HC Mackovic would pull him and put Kenny in. I also wonder why Mackovic was fired after a 10-6 season.

Didn't Makovic replace Marv Levy who went on to become a Hall of Fame coach?  Neither had many good players to use.  It's hard to come up with great names from that era of the late 1970s - early 1980s.  Some real stinkers drafted. 

On 11/13/2023 at 6:15 PM, jetlord said:

Didn't Makovic replace Marv Levy who went on to become a Hall of Fame coach?  Neither had many good players to use.  It's hard to come up with great names from that era of the late 1970s - early 1980s.  Some real stinkers drafted. 

There were some excellent Chiefs from those years, particularly on defense. Lloyd Buruss, Gary Green, Albert Lewis, Gary Barbaro, Deron Cherry, Bill Mass, Art Still, Gary Spani, Joe Delaney, Carlos Carson, Henry Marshall, Stephon Paige, JT Smith, et al.
They just never got it together and were usually plagued with a lesser QB and subpar coaching. 

But, yeah, the drafts that period were mostly horrific. 

15 hours ago, xen said:

Worked for me

Thank you, even though I know I posted it, the description isn’t quite accurate. The description sounds like having a great player was great for Alex’s career. Which it was, but that’s not what he was saying.

He talked about how Andy Reid was perfect for Kelce because Andy does not force squares into round holes, let’s Kelce be himself, and lets him have football creativity and adjustments, and how it works perfectly with Mahomes. That the combination of the opportunity and the talent produced the greatest tight end. (Related, he’s not saying that Andy Reid made Travis or anything like that, he’s saying that the opportunity was perfect to showcase his talent and maximize his production. And of course, Mahomes maximizes that as well.)

Not to reopen old wounds that never healed, but just as an FYI on how good we got it with Veach and Reid:

1983 Draft we took Todd Blackledge over:

Jim Kelly, Bills

Tony Eason, Pats

Ken O'Brien, Jets

Dan Marino, Phins

Gary Kubiak, Donks

SMMFH

16 minutes ago, mex said:

Not to reopen old wounds that never healed, but just as an FYI on how good we got it with Veach and Reid:

Jim Kelly, Bills

Tony Eason, Pats

Ken O'Brien, Jets

Dan Marino, Phins

Gary Kubiak, Donks

SMMFH

I was so excited when we drafted Blackledge. Big, strong, mobile QB with a freaking rocket launcher for an arm. Plus, he was a winner, having just won the college championship. On paper, he was just a hair below Elway and was coveted by every other team. 

That he had a chronic inability to check down receivers and go through the rotation never seemed to occur to anyone. I guess they thought his freakish physical skills could overcome any shortcomings.  

47 minutes ago, mex said:

Jim Kelly, Bills

Tony Eason, Pats

Ken O'Brien, Jets

Dan Marino, Phins

Gary Kubiak, Donks

SMMFH

It’s a good thing that none of those posers ever panned out.