Is This Chris Jones Last year with KC?

He’s too inconsistent, plus we need that money for WR’s.  I think I saw a long list of players that are up on their contracts.  He requires much too much money to be able to resign.  He will go somewhere and lose for the rest of his years.  

19 minutes ago, 58shineson said:

He’s too inconsistent, plus we need that money for WR’s.  I think I saw a long list of players that are up on their contracts.  He requires much too much money to be able to resign.  He will go somewhere and lose for the rest of his years.  

Yea, I agree. With all the needs KC has, he just won't be affordable. I would definetly try and trade him, but that may not be feasible either...

8 minutes ago, Calichief said:

By the way- just watched again 

the defensive line got totally bitch slapped. Blown off the ball all night. Let the worst rb in the league go off 

Yup...in the first half it was Nnadi looking like the Nnadi we've all grown to HATE. In the second half it was those other DTs whose names I can't remember. THey got handled all night.....Including CJ.

I'll stick with my wish of ten months ago.  Trade Jones for whatever he will bring.  Since he'll be a FA, tag and trade probably won't get the Chiefs much at this point, but no way should they pay him $30 million just so he can hold out whenever he gets in the mood.  One of the worst mistakes a successful franchise can make is to hold on to players too long.  Except for Pat, no one is indispensable.  If they can extend Sneed or Gay for reasonable money (doubtful), sign Creed and Bolton longer term, and have the cap space to get a LT and WR, this will be a better team without Jones's contract hanging over everything like it did last summer.  

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'll stick with my wish of ten months ago.  Trade Jones for whatever he will bring.  Since he'll be a FA, tag and trade probably won't get the Chiefs much at this point, but no way should they pay him $30 million just so he can hold out whenever he gets in the mood.  One of the worst mistakes a successful franchise can make is to hold on to players too long.  Except for Pat, no one is indispensable.  If they can extend Sneed or Gay for reasonable money (doubtful), sign Creed and Bolton longer term, and have the cap space to get a LT and WR, this will be a better team without Jones's contract hanging over everything like it did last summer.  

If some of the wr panned out it would be different. You can’t pay him. 
way too many issues 

and he is playing with the effort of someone leaving 

8 minutes ago, Calichief said:

If some of the wr panned out it would be different. You can’t pay him. 
way too many issues 

and he is playing with the effort of someone leaving 

He's playing with the effort of someone who knows he'll get paid even more somewhere else.  Jones has always taken plays off, but it seems like more so lately.  

As of right now, we have 31 million in cap space for next year.  There will be other moves that will free up some more, but there's no way CJ can be retained, give him what he wants, without the team taking a major hit.  Way too many needs with not enough room to fix them all and sign CJ.  I can see Veach trying to move up in the first round to grab a defensive tackle and grabbing a mid guy or two in free agency.  The Chiefs need a legit wideout to pair with Rice, and at least one other serviceable wideout to round out the top 3.  I could live with guys like Watson as the 4th or 5th guy if you're strong at the top of the depth chart.  Veach also needs to be thinking about a dynamic TE with Kelce declining/pondering retirement/having distractions.  

We also will need a left guard, because I'm pretty sure this is the year that Thuney's contract has an escape hatch for the Chiefs.

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

As of right now, we have 31 million in cap space for next year.  There will be other moves that will free up some more, but there's no way CJ can be retained, give him what he wants, without the team taking a major hit.  Way too many needs with not enough room to fix them all and sign CJ.  I can see Veach trying to move up in the first round to grab a defensive tackle and grabbing a mid guy or two in free agency.  The Chiefs need a legit wideout to pair with Rice, and at least one other serviceable wideout to round out the top 3.  I could live with guys like Watson as the 4th or 5th guy if you're strong at the top of the depth chart.  Veach also needs to be thinking about a dynamic TE with Kelce declining/pondering retirement/having distractions.  

We also will need a left guard, because I'm pretty sure this is the year that Thuney's contract has an escape hatch for the Chiefs.

if you call $22M of dead cap an out https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/joe-thuney-19028/

Thuney is definitely back next year, they keep restructing his deal because they are comfortable with him staying on the team.

We let Tyreek hill to resign Jones, but somehow that has failed, and at this point it sure feels like Jones is gone after this season.

Instead we spent the Cap Space on Jawaan Taylor, Justin Reid, MVS, and Thuney. Out of those Thuney is the only one really playing like they deserve the money.

Not sure how we got down this path.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Thuney is definitely back next year, they keep restructing his deal because they are comfortable with him staying on the team.

We let Tyreek hill to resign Jones, but somehow that has failed, and at this point it sure feels like Jones is gone after this season.

Instead we spent the Cap Space on Jawaan Taylor, Justin Reid, MVS, and Thuney. Out of those Thuney is the only one really playing like they deserve the money.

Not sure how we got down this path.

Especially Taylor. Both our tackles I’d like to replace. Not sure what the financial ramifications are. 
I did like what Morris brought to the table even the small sample it was. 

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

We should have traded him this year.

2 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Especially Taylor. Both our tackles I’d like to replace. Not sure what the financial ramifications are. 
I did like what Morris brought to the table even the small sample it was. 

Taylor is fine. He’s the top blocker for time allowed for pressure. 

18 hours ago, moons314 said:

Almost 22 million dollar dead cap number for Thuney. We aren't eating that. Next offseason is the year his dead cap number gets at least palatable at 11 mill. Creed and Trey will also be free agents so we can look forward to that impossible situation Veach will have to navigate. 

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Almost 22 million dollar dead cap number for Thuney. We aren't eating that. Next offseason is the year his dead cap number gets at least palatable at 11 mill. Creed and Trey will also be free agents so we can look forward to that impossible situation Veach will have to navigate. 

I thought his dead number was much smaller than that.  Best bet might be to pick up a guard early, let him be the swing guy for a year, then hopefully you chose well enough to slide him into a starting role in 25.  That would allow money to give Smith and/or Creed.  Replacing all 3 interior spots in one offseason would be a nightmare, and hopefully we only have to fill 1/3 from the outside.

1 minute ago, SEMO said:

Which Veach just did 3 years ago.

Yes he did, but let's be honest, the odds of another Trey Smith home run are long at best.  Creed was solid where he was drafted and Thuney got the big contract.  Pulling all 3 of those guys in one offseason was an accomplishment that would be difficult to duplicate.  If you retain at least 1 guy, the odds of being able to replaced 2 are infinitely better from a quality perspective.