Jon Baldwin waived by the 49ers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Niners are having all sorts of issues:

Harbaugh Contract Extension on hold

Glen Dorsey torn a Bicep and is out for perhaps the season

Kendall Hunter out for the Year

DT Williams had 4 surgeries on his ankle and is still questionable....

New LEVI'S Stadium had a "practice" event ( Soccer game) this weekend and it was a disaster....parking lots did not clear, light rail broke down, people parked on a nearby golf course and tore it up.

Overal, the "Mercury News" ( Local fishwrap) called it a stunning success.  People were all over the radio this morning on the drive in ripping both the newspaper and the Stadium.

w

Jonathan Baldwin. A case study in how to go from being a first round draft pick to being on the waiver wire in just a few years. Gotta add this guy to one of those biggest busts lists in NFL history I guess. does anyone scoop this guy up?

Lions nabbed him.

The Detroit Lions have claimed wide receiver Jon Baldwin, a former first-round pick, off waivers.

A day after he was waived by the San Francisco 49ers, wide receiver Jon Baldwin was claimed by the Detroit Lions. The move was first reported by Michael Schottey, and it's unknown at this time who was released to make room for Baldwin.

Baldwin comes to Detroit after spending the last year in San Francisco. He had 3 catches for 28 yards in seven games last season as a member of the 49ers, and they decided to part ways with him on Sunday.

Baldwin was actually traded to the 49ers last August after a disappointing two seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs. They took him 26th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, but he only had 41 catches for 579 yards and 2 touchdowns in his two years with the Chiefs. He was really the definition of a first-round bust in Kansas City.

Considering that Baldwin wasn't even able to figure things out in San Francisco, it's highly, highly unlikely he will be with the Lions for long. The last couple spots at wide receiver are currently up for grabs, but with a late start on learning the playbook and some pretty negative reviews from his first two stops in the NFL, there's no reason to expect him to even contend for a spot on the 53-man roster.

UPDATE: Dave Birkett reports that the Lions released wide receiver Reese Wiggins to make room for Baldwin.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/8/4/5968537/lions-claim-jon-baldwin-off-waivers

I'm really, really hoping that AJ Jenkins turns into a playmaker just so that the Chiefs fleece the 49ers in a trade for once. Jon Baldwin had bust written all over him before he was even drafted. Another stupid pick by a very bad regime.

I'm really, really hoping that AJ Jenkins turns into a playmaker just so that the Chiefs fleece the 49ers in a trade for once. Jon Baldwin had bust written all over him before he was even drafted. Another stupid pick by a very bad regime.

I hear ya.  He will be on the R1 bust list a few lines below JB sooner than later.

Might have to do a study on the Chiefs 1st rounders in the last 10 years.....

Actually it's better than one would think.

Good percentage of them are probowlers and All are still in the league.  Baldwin by a thread :-)

2004No pick — — [11]2005 15 Derrick Johnson Texas LB 2006 20 Tamba Hali Penn State DE 2007 23 Dwayne Bowe Louisiana State WR 2008 5 Glenn Dorsey Louisiana State DT 2008 15 Branden Albert Virginia G 2009 3 Tyson Jackson Louisiana State DE 2010 5 Eric Berry Tennessee S 2011 26 Jonathan Baldwin Pittsburgh WR 2012 11 Dontari Poe Memphis NT 2013 1 Eric Fisher Central Michigan OT [12]2014 23 Dee Ford Auburn DE

Good percentage of them are probowlers and All are still in the league.  Baldwin by a thread :-)

2004No pick — — [11]2005 15 Derrick Johnson Texas LB 2006 20 Tamba Hali Penn State DE 2007 23 Dwayne Bowe Louisiana State WR 2008 5 Glenn Dorsey Louisiana State DT 2008 15 Branden Albert Virginia G 2009 3 Tyson Jackson Louisiana State DE 2010 5 Eric Berry Tennessee S 2011 26 Jonathan Baldwin Pittsburgh WR 2012 11 Dontari Poe Memphis NT 2013 1 Eric Fisher Central Michigan OT [12]2014 23 Dee Ford Auburn DE

That's a lot better than the ten years prior.

Sad commentary.   Somewhere,   Thomas Jones is laughing at how all this turned out.

Yep, I remember thinking that fight was a bad sign at the time. Jones was a legit leader and that shouldn't have happened.

Baldwin is just lazy. I don't know if he can ever get past it. From what I saw out of he, he quit on his route when he didn't get separation. It's a shame because he has the size and the tools to be good. I would take AJ Jenkins over him every time.

Baldwin is just lazy. I don't know if he can ever get past it. From what I saw out of he, he quit on his route when he didn't get separation. It's a shame because he has the size and the tools to be good. I would take AJ Jenkins over him every time.

That may be true, but to be fair, he's had lingering knee issues this camp.

• 2 weeks later...

2004No pick — — [11]

2005 15 Derrick Johnson Texas LB

2006 20 Tamba Hali Penn State DE

2007 23 Dwayne Bowe Louisiana State WR

2008 5 Glenn Dorsey Louisiana State DT

2008  15 Branden Albert Virginia G

2009 3 Tyson Jackson Louisiana State DE

2010 5 Eric Berry Tennessee S

2011 26 Jonathan Baldwin Pittsburgh WR

2012 11 Dontari Poe Memphis NT

2013 1 Eric Fisher Central Michigan OT [12]

2014 23 Dee Ford Auburn DE

Pro Bowls don't mean shit- All-Pro carries more weight with me.

2004-Pick ...how many pro bowls did he make?

2005- DJ finally came around after multiple years of underperformance. alot of teams would not have had patience

2006- Hali- premium pass rusher +1

2007- DBowe- the enigma- good WR with 10 cent head...as a 1st rd, he is teetering on bust

2008- Albert- good player. Worthy of 1st rd pick +1

2009- TJack- 3rd pick overall not re-signed after rookie contract? BUST

2010- Berry- has flashed but in retrospect is he really a game changer (al Ed Reed) worthy of #5 overall? I give it a meh

2011- Baldwin- BUST

2012- Poe- has shown much to me...

2013- Fisher- not enough body of work to judge although Im not sure he was worth #1

Archived