What is going on there?  First round pick, and he has amassed a whopping .5 sacks and 11 tackles through the first week of December.  Is he not developing?  I've seen him on the sidelines from the seats in Arrowhead, but I have yet to notice him doing anything on the actual field.  I hope this doesn't turn out to be another shit 1st rounder by the Chiefs. 

17 hours ago, moons314 said:

What is going on there?  First round pick, and he has amassed a whopping .5 sacks and 11 tackles through the first week of December.  Is he not developing?  I've seen him on the sidelines from the seats in Arrowhead, but I have yet to notice him doing anything on the actual field.  I hope this doesn't turn out to be another shit 1st rounder by the Chiefs. 

You must've been real cranky during Mahomes' first year "on the bench". And Kelce was the #2 TE for how many years? 

14 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Not a wasted pick at all. He is learning, developing and thinking ahead, and is getting all this while we have a good group in front of him. Dana and Wharton are UFA and Herring is a RFA. With a lot of others to sign, we can't resign them all.

wow, a mention of Malik Herring, i am only reminded he is on the team when i see him on the inactive report every week

14 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Not a wasted pick at all. He is learning, developing and thinking ahead, and is getting all this while we have a good group in front of him. Dana and Wharton are UFA and Herring is a RFA. With a lot of others to sign, we can't resign them all.

Jone will be gone as well, so i hope Feiix is learning because he will be needed next year

3 hours ago, Boone said:

You must've been real cranky during Mahomes' first year "on the bench". And Kelce was the #2 TE for how many years? 

First, I was simply asking if there was something going on with him.

When Mahomes was drafted, we knew he wasn't coming in to play immediately, not to mention the complexity of an Andy Reid offense for a QB compared to a rush end on defense.  This is an apple to oranges comparison because defensive linemen rotate throughout the game, QBs do not.  No one expected Felix to come in and play every down, but he does get field time, especially early when Omenihu was suspended. 

Kelce was chosen in the 3rd round.  Expectations of early contributions differ greatly between a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more than .5 sacks and 11 tackles from your first round rush end with a month to go in the season.  I'm not saying he can't develop, but your first round picks need to be contributors sooner than later.  Karlaftis is a better comp, because he was drafted in the same position the year prior, and he posted 6 sacks and 22 hurries as a rook.  

My guess is that FAU got caught up in the numbers game.  When he was drafted, the Chiefs didn't know if Jones would be playing and they probably didn't see Dana becoming a starter quality player.  Can't remember if Omenihu was signed yet, but that would also have been a factor is he wasn't.  Then consider that FAU had a lot to learn about technique (reportedly) and it's easy to imagine a case where he will have value in the future.  It took Dana and Saunders several seasons before they played major roles on the D line.  

14 minutes ago, moons314 said:

First, I was simply asking if there was something going on with him.

When Mahomes was drafted, we knew he wasn't coming in to play immediately, not to mention the complexity of an Andy Reid offense for a QB compared to a rush end on defense.  This is an apple to oranges comparison because defensive linemen rotate throughout the game, QBs do not.  No one expected Felix to come in and play every down, but he does get field time, especially early when Omenihu was suspended. 

Kelce was chosen in the 3rd round.  Expectations of early contributions differ greatly between a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more than .5 sacks and 11 tackles from your first round rush end with a month to go in the season.  I'm not saying he can't develop, but your first round picks need to be contributors sooner than later.  Karlaftis is a better comp, because he was drafted in the same position the year prior, and he posted 6 sacks and 22 hurries as a rook.  

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, I know it's not an equivalent comparison. 

That said, peeps were pretty cranky with Karlaftis through the first half to 2/3 of last year. It took him that long before things started clicking. Maybe it's taking FAU a little longer... that, and no one expected Danna to play as well as he has, either. 

Felix was a kid that had almost zero recruiting interest in college. He was able to get into k state, a local school.

to his credit he worked his butt off to improve, but its likely he doesn’t have much upside left.

I personally didn’t see the required level of athleticism in the pre season to think he is capable of playing in the nfl. Much like the way skyy moore looked like last year.

i will hold out hope he shows up next year looking like a different player, much like i hoped skyy would this season, but realistically i dont see it happening.

hope im wrong

karloftis, in comparison, even though he isn’t gifted with elite speed, clearly has a body capable of competing at the nfl level.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

My guess is that FAU got caught up in the numbers game.  When he was drafted, the Chiefs didn't know if Jones would be playing and they probably didn't see Dana becoming a starter quality player.  Can't remember if Omenihu was signed yet, but that would also have been a factor is he wasn't.  Then consider that FAU had a lot to learn about technique (reportedly) and it's easy to imagine a case where he will have value in the future.  It took Dana and Saunders several seasons before they played major roles on the D line.  

I would argue danna and saunders flashed pass rush ability and very good athleticism almost immediately.

really wish we kept saunders over nnadi

3 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Felix was a kid that had almost zero recruiting interest in college. He was able to get into k state, a local school.

to his credit he worked his butt off to improve, but its likely he doesn’t have much upside left.

I personally didn’t see the required level of athleticism in the pre season to think he is capable of playing in the nfl. Much like the way skyy moore looked like last year.

i will hold out hope he shows up next year looking like a different player, much like i hoped skyy would this season, but realistically i dont see it happening.

hope im wrong

karloftis, in comparison, even though he isn’t gifted with elite speed, clearly has a body capable of competing at the nfl level.

FAU had an 8.74 RAS score with elite explosion and COD testing.  Skyy had elite speed and quickness scores and good explosion scores.

A better assumption is FAU was playing slow in preseason cause he's still learning.  He played on that 335 defense in college.  Skyy is slow coming along cause he was a convert to the receiver position.

Either way I don't think lack of athleticism explains their failure to make an impact so far.

2 hours ago, xen said:

FAU had an 8.74 RAS score with elite explosion and COD testing.  Skyy had elite speed and quickness scores and good explosion scores.

A better assumption is FAU was playing slow in preseason cause he's still learning.  He played on that 335 defense in college.  Skyy is slow coming along cause he was a convert to the receiver position.

Either way I don't think lack of athleticism explains their failure to make an impact so far.

ehhh. you can't convince me skyy moore is an elite athlete when watching him play for 2 seasons he has gotten separation zero times. also all his college film is of him making contended catches, which i pointed out at the time/ if you can't separate vs small school college dbs you dont have a chance

27 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

ehhh. you can't convince me skyy moore is an elite athlete when watching him play for 2 seasons he has gotten separation zero times. also all his college film is of him making contended catches, which i pointed out at the time/ if you can't separate vs small school college dbs you dont have a chance

You watch all the the western Michigan games do ya?  That's a true fan right there.

2 hours ago, xen said:

You watch all the the western Michigan games do ya?  That's a true fan right there.

well im not trying to argue, im just saying when he was drafted watching a youtube clip for 3 minutes and its like... hmm these 5 foot 8 corners that play at idaho state tech that will be selling insurance in a year are sticking to him like glue.

11 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

well im not trying to argue, im just saying when he was drafted watching a youtube clip for 3 minutes and its like... hmm these 5 foot 8 corners that play at idaho state tech that will be selling insurance in a year are sticking to him like glue.

There's a lot of game film of him getting good separation.  Must of watched the wrong 3 minute clip.  He had 94 catches his last year in college. 8 were contested catches.

12 hours ago, Boone said:

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, I know it's not an equivalent comparison. 

That said, peeps were pretty cranky with Karlaftis through the first half to 2/3 of last year. It took him that long before things started clicking. Maybe it's taking FAU a little longer... that, and no one expected Danna to play as well as he has, either. 

Big difference is that Karlaftis had to start from the beginning.  He played high snap counts from his first game.  FAU isn't yet an upgrade over Dana and/or Omenihu so the Chiefs can afford to bring him along slowly.  While he was a first round pick, he was about all the Chiefs had to choose from in an area of need.  It's only in hindsight that we find other choices.  

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Big difference is that Karlaftis had to start from the beginning.  He played high snap counts from his first game.  FAU isn't yet an upgrade over Dana and/or Omenihu so the Chiefs can afford to bring him along slowly.  While he was a first round pick, he was about all the Chiefs had to choose from in an area of need.  It's only in hindsight that we find other choices.  

Karlaftis came to a team with Danna, Frank Clark and Carlos Dunlap.  Omenihu has only been here 6 games. I'd say we needed snap counts out of FAU more than we did Karlaftis.  He's not a bust yet, but it's a valid question as to why a first round edge guy isn't seeing more time.  

7 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Karlaftis came to a team with Danna, Frank Clark and Carlos Dunlap.  Omenihu has only been here 6 games. I'd say we needed snap counts out of FAU more than we did Karlaftis.  He's not a bust yet, but it's a valid question as to why a first round edge guy isn't seeing more time.  

The dline is stellar. Where is exactly do you want to take snaps ???