Chiefs head to merry ole london!

The Kansas City Chiefs are headed to London. The Chiefs have confirmed that they will be playing the Detroit Lions in London next year as part of the NFL's International Series. The game will take place on November 1, 2015, which is Week 8 on the Chiefs 2015 schedule. It will be televised by Fox and played at Wembley Stadium. The game time has not yet been announced but Pro Football Talk points out that the Chiefs have hinted it could be at 8:30 a.m. (Arrowhead Time) based on it being nationally televised.

"It is an honor for Kansas City to represent the NFL on an international stage," Chiefs President Mark Donovan said in a statement announcing the news. "We are excited for the opportunity this creates for our fans, our city and the global growth of the Chiefs brand."

This will be a Chiefs home game that is sent to London. Considering the Chiefs home field advantage, that's not ideal and the big downside to playing in London. The Lions probably aren't complaining about this though.

"We are very appreciative of the outstanding support from our fans in the UK, not only for the games at Wembley, but for all of the related NFL events we have hosted throughout the city," NFL Executive Vice President of International Mark Waller said in a statement.  "We believe we have a great 2015 schedule that will continue to attract new fans to our sport and strengthen the bonds with our existing fans. To provide UK fans the opportunity to see games on consecutive weekends, to see new teams, and to attend a division game, which feature some of the most passionate rivalries in our sport, are signs of the growth and depth of our UK fan base."

The Chiefs are one of six teams playing in London next year, including Jets-Dolphins and Bills-Jaguars.

The Chiefs release on the game reads:

Chiefs Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt has played a key role in expanding the NFL's footprint overseas. He has served as the International Committee's Chairman since 2011. The International Series has grown from one regular season game in 2007 to three games in 2014. In total, 17 clubs have played games in London since 2007.  Six NFL franchises will play at Wembley stadium in 2015.  The Chiefs will host the Detroit Lions, the Miami Dolphins will host the New York Jets in a division matchup and the Jacksonville Jaguars will host the Buffalo Bills.

Disruptive....I don't like it.

w

I think this whole Europe thing is stupid.  They had the best concept for it with the developmental NFLE league and that folded.  If any country wants football, let them start their own league   A football world cup one day could be cool

They, of course, will give us a bye week after the game. I wish they would give us a Thursday game before that and have this towards the middle of the year. The reason why I want a Thursday game is because then we can get there little bit early and get used to the time zone. Then again, we could have a Sunday game and do the same thing. I just thought 10 days would be better for it. However, that would make one/two game(s) in 16/24 days or something. So that might not be a good idea.

hell they dont even bother to show american football on tv, in europe.. however people playing it is growing in popularity. Expeccially within the bundesliga.
The NFL needs to fix the televised game thing in europe though if they want to make inroads into say berlin, rome, paris, etc...

RG

I don't see the big uproar

90% of the people complaining about this will be watching the game from the same spot they would of been watching it from anyway.(on the couch) 

Season ticket holders should be pissed, but they also will see a reduction in cost next year, so they really aren't getting screwed either. 

90% of the people complaining about this will be watching the game from the same spot they would of been watching it from anyway.(on the couch)

Season ticket holders should be pissed, but they also will see a reduction in cost next year, so they really aren't getting screwed either.

Niners fans said they didn't get that reduction in price. Not sure of the truth, but take that FWIW.

I don't think people are complaining about viewing the game. It's about home field advantage to win the game. One game might mean playoffs or not.

Well, in a way season ticket holders are disadvantaged.  We were required to pay for ten tickets to see eight regular season games.  The two preseason games are worthless.  Now STH will pay for nine games to see seven.   In other words, the cost of the two worthless tickets will be spread over seven real games rather than eight.  Maybe a small point, but still it makes the cost of regular season games higher.

I think that the Lions should be jumping up and down hearing this because they won't have to go to Arrowhead Stadium to face the loudest stadium in the league. Them knowing this, they should think that they will have a definite win. I'm really not happy with this move because there will only be 7 home games instead of 8 this year. The London game will be counted as a home game, but it's not in Arrowhead. Next time, I think that the Chiefs should have London as a road game so that they can still have eight home games in the season.

The games in London have been sell outs. Unfortunately, most of those watching are expatriates. I think American Football will play well in London. It did alright in Germany, and Italy has several semi pro teams. 

The next location the NFL is pushing for is in Mexico City. I still don't get that one either. I think they are trying to find ways to expand their revenue base. Even without a team in London, the NFL can get revenues by sales of NFL items, and the NFL network. 

The NFL clearly bribed KC to play. I understand this was a way for the city to host a Super Bowl. Has anyone ever been to Kansas City in January? I mean anyone outside of Kansas City. It's cold. The movable dome was the best chance for the city to get a Super Bowl game, and that got turned down by the voters. I cannot say I blame them either. It seems that novelty may have been an expensive approach to luring one game to the town. 

Losing one home game is not a good thing when that team has a huge home field advantage. Fortunately the Chiefs seem to play as well away. 

Archived