Special Teams

What was up with fair catching short kickoffs?  With a stagnant offense, why not try to get a spark from the return game?  James had a nice return on the punt, but catching kickoffs at the 5 with room to run and fair catching was maddening.  This had to be a pregame coaching decision, right?  

It is strange because I remember Toub, in an interview during the offseason, right after that rule change, saying that they were not fair catching any kick off.  If it was kicked in the field of play, they were returning it.

Must have changed his mind, lol.  

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

It is strange because I remember Toub, in an interview during the offseason, right after that rule change, saying that they were not fair catching any kick off.  If it was kicked in the field of play, they were returning it.

Must have changed his mind, lol.  

maybe James changed his mind and having a Hardiman things would of been different

23 hours ago, mex said:

I'm almost glad when they do. No chance for a fumble. 

It's not just the fumbles or even the returner being dumped at the 20.  It's also the high percentage of penalties on the return team.  I realize it's more common on punt returns, but the average starting point on returned K.O.s isn't all that encouraging for running it back.  Also, kicks that are short of the goal line may also be higher trajectory and the coverage will be closer.  Just a guess about that last factor.