Patriots Week

51 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Watching LaPorta this year, especially after last night, it makes me sick that he went 3 picks after we took FAU.

Well as an Iowa fan, I was hoping for him and get ridiculed for my Iowa love. Thing is, I did not think he would go that high until his even more impressive combine numbers. Will see if the current TE stays or not this year. If Lachey comes out, I can see a 3rd round pick for him. Again though, depends on how his combine is and how his ankle has healed.  Lately it has been Kittle, Fant, Hockensen and LaPorta coming out if Iowa and Lachey was well regarded by the coaches at Iowa also. 

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Your ideas are resign Sneed, Tranquill (Bolton?), FA WR, and extend Creed?   Smith is someone I bet the address in the draft considering he and Thuney are probably both gone after next seasin.  Assuming Morris continues to improve that takes OT off the board.  Leaving DT, DE, RB, S, OG, and another WR, and a TE( a vastly underrated need on this team even if Kelce comes back next year.) as the major needs of this team?

Resign what we can in place of Jones. To me it makes more sense keeping 3 or whatever players on this team and letting one go. From there address the other needs in FA and draft. WR, DT would be biggest needs if we keep say Gay or Bolton.  Resigning Sneed would be great as he has proven to take on the best opposing WR. Then use money to get a FA WR or DT or some combo. The next year we have Smith, Creed and Bolton coming up.

I think having depth a year out for a guy like Trey Smith would be best and resign the other 2. With the possible 51 mil in cap space we can definitely spend for a vet G or have a chance to fill in the upcoming draft. Plus Veach is great with the cap, so we may extend in season or even go in with even more money in 2025 for our guys.

Or we spend 30 mil on Jones, have 20 plus left over for 20 other spots for a WR and let Gay/Bolton and a couple others go like a depth DE in Wharton, Dana etc.

An excerpt from a quick search on 2024 cap space. What we do with our own goes a long ways. I just think Jones leaving, great if we can tag and trade, would go a long ways into getting many others resigned and money to play with in FA.

The good news: The Chiefs are estimated to have about $51.66 million in cap space in 2024, according to OverTheCap.com, ranking the team 15th in the 32-franchise league. The bad news: The Chiefs have 24 of 53 players on their active roster eligible for free agency next season.

10 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well as an Iowa fan, I was hoping for him and get ridiculed for my Iowa love

Not from me you don't. Iowa produces some talent, and it's usually underrated talent as they can't seem to get into the national championship picture. Hell I'd like to see a few Buckeyes get on the roster... specifically some of their WRs and OL. For some reason they don't seem to look that direction.

13 minutes ago, mex said:

Not from me you don't. Iowa produces some talent, and it's usually underrated talent as they can't seem to get into the national championship picture. Hell I'd like to see a few Buckeyes get on the roster... specifically some of their WRs and OL. For some reason they don't seem to look that direction.

Iowa has had great talent coming out. For a 2 star to 3 star rating type team, imagine how they would do with 4 and 5 star loaded recruits year in and out. There is a reason scouts like Iowa players, thing is they are not as glorious like other highly rated teams.

Iowa is the only school in the country to have three first team All-Americans by FWAA in 2023.

The Hawkeyes have had a FWAA All-American (first or second team) 11 straight seasons, dating back to 2013.

Iowa has had eight FWAA All-Americans the last three seasons, second only to Georgia (9).

The Hawkeyes have had a special teams All-American three of the last five seasons.

Iowa has had multiple FWAA All-Americans each of the last five seasons (2019-23).

Your ideas are resign Sneed, Tranquill (Bolton?), FA WR, and extend Creed?   Smith is someone I bet the address in the draft considering he and Thuney are probably both gone after next seasin.  Assuming Morris continues to improve that takes OT off the board.  Leaving DT, DE, RB, S, OG, and another WR, and a TE( a vastly underrated need on this team even if Kelce comes back next year.) as the major needs of this team?

the decision is Tranquil or Gay, Creed is a no brainer the next Timmy Grunhardt 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Resign what we can in place of Jones. To me it makes more sense keeping 3 or whatever players on this team and letting one go. From there address the other needs in FA and draft. WR, DT would be biggest needs if we keep say Gay or Bolton.  Resigning Sneed would be great as he has proven to take on the best opposing WR. Then use money to get a FA WR or DT or some combo. The next year we have Smith, Creed and Bolton coming up.

I think having depth a year out for a guy like Trey Smith would be best and resign the other 2. With the possible 51 mil in cap space we can definitely spend for a vet G or have a chance to fill in the upcoming draft. Plus Veach is great with the cap, so we may extend in season or even go in with even more money in 2025 for our guys.

Or we spend 30 mil on Jones, have 20 plus left over for 20 other spots for a WR and let Gay/Bolton and a couple others go like a depth DE in Wharton, Dana etc.

An excerpt from a quick search on 2024 cap space. What we do with our own goes a long ways. I just think Jones leaving, great if we can tag and trade, would go a long ways into getting many others resigned and money to play with in FA.

The good news: The Chiefs are estimated to have about $51.66 million in cap space in 2024, according to OverTheCap.com, ranking the team 15th in the 32-franchise league. The bad news: The Chiefs have 24 of 53 players on their active roster eligible for free agency next season.

I think they can generate 11 more by cutting MVS.  Tag and trading Jones for maybe a 2nd would go a long way towards helping as well.   If I had to resign Tranquil or Gay its Tranquil all day long. Gay is fun towatch but Tranquil is a better overall player.  Sign him to a 3 year deal and let Gay walk and then see about Bolton next year.  Creed gets the extension.  They draft a guard to fill Thuney or Smiths place the following year.  Sneed needs to get done and if done correctly would come up at the time to resign McDuffie.   Like you said get a DT and WR in FA and the rest can be filled with 2nd and 3rd tier FA.  3rd safety, rb, interior backup OL, etc.   Should be a fun offseason of moves after this years crap show at wr.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Iowa has had great talent coming out. For a 2 star to 3 star rating type team, imagine how they would do with 4 and 5 star loaded recruits year in and out. There is a reason scouts like Iowa players, thing is they are not as glorious like other highly rated teams.

Iowa is the only school in the country to have three first team All-Americans by FWAA in 2023.

The Hawkeyes have had a FWAA All-American (first or second team) 11 straight seasons, dating back to 2013.

Iowa has had eight FWAA All-Americans the last three seasons, second only to Georgia (9).

The Hawkeyes have had a special teams All-American three of the last five seasons.

Iowa has had multiple FWAA All-Americans each of the last five seasons (2019-23).

Star ratings are overrated. 

I think they can generate 11 more by cutting MVS.  Tag and trading Jones for maybe a 2nd would go a long way towards helping as well.   If I had to resign Tranquil or Gay its Tranquil all day long. Gay is fun towatch but Tranquil is a better overall player.  Sign him to a 3 year deal and let Gay walk and then see about Bolton next year.  Creed gets the extension.  They draft a guard to fill Thuney or Smiths place the following year.  Sneed needs to get done and if done correctly would come up at the time to resign McDuffie.   Like you said get a DT and WR in FA and the rest can be filled with 2nd and 3rd tier FA.  3rd safety, rb, interior backup OL, etc.   Should be a fun offseason of moves after this years crap show at wr.

IMO, Sneed is gone.  Chuck Ward got $13.5MM per, and LJ is twice the corner he was.

3 hours ago, mex said:

Star ratings are overrated. 

While true to a point, it is much easier to coach up talented guys that should be rated that high. Iowa takes 2 stars, switches positions a lot of times and trains them up in the weight room, on the field etc to transform them. This usually takes 3 or 4 years.

If we lose one at 3 years, like we have before. It is starting over again. Thing is it happens every year or so and the other positions are not as talented if the coaching up is a bit slower etc. Just easier to have college ready players at each position where if one 4 or 5 star does not work out, another is there already trained up waiting to go.

There is a reason some teams are consistently in the top 10 every year. We all know those teams. There also is a few that make noise now and then.....thet is when a magical season happens. To far and few in between.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Yes, veach can master that cap space even more and one good way, as you said, is cutting MVS.

10 hours ago, oldtimer said:

the decision is Tranquil or Gay, Creed is a no brainer the next Timmy Grunhardt 

Tranquil.

i think the more interesting question is how do you handle CJ.   The asking price is provably going to start at a 2nd but if you’re GM are you giving up a 2nd for a 30 yr old DT whose best years were in contract years then pay him what he wants for probably only 2 to 3 years of good to elite production?   Or do you let him walk and keep that money freed up to sign guys you wanna keep like Sneed and Humprey plus have money to go into FA for a WR   

6 hours ago, kkuenn said:

While true to a point, it is much easier to coach up talented guys that should be rated that high. Iowa takes 2 stars, switches positions a lot of times and trains them up in the weight room, on the field etc to transform them. This usually takes 3 or 4 years.

If we lose one at 3 years, like we have before. It is starting over again. Thing is it happens every year or so and the other positions are not as talented if the coaching up is a bit slower etc. Just easier to have college ready players at each position where if one 4 or 5 star does not work out, another is there already trained up waiting to go.

There is a reason some teams are consistently in the top 10 every year. We all know those teams. There also is a few that make noise now and then.....thet is when a magical season happens. To far and few in between.

Odds are that a 5 star is better than a 3 star... but I'm not sure those odds are overwhelming.

I'm no recruiting guru, but I've seen a metric fuck-ton of 3-stars go pro while highly touted 5's hardly accomplish anything. I remember one year OSU recruited a 5-star LB out of Cleveland named D'Andrea. They were saying he was supposed to be the best thing since Dick Butkus. Roughly the same time they recruited a 3 star LB nobody ever heard of named AJ Hawk... who went on to play many years in the league. Sme thing with 5 start QB Justin Zwick... he just never figured it out while 3-star Troy Smith had a great college career. 

You're right though, with piles of 5-stars odds are a team will do well. See GA. But it is definitely coaching & development in the long term. Iowa's style has always been traditional football... run the ball, utilize TEs, have a stifling defense, and win the turnover battle. Takes coaching to execute, but it's hard to go wrong with that strategy as any Marty Schottenheimer fan knows. 

2 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Tranquil.

i think the more interesting question is how do you handle CJ.   The asking price is provably going to start at a 2nd but if you’re GM are you giving up a 2nd for a 30 yr old DT whose best years were in contract years then pay him what he wants for probably only 2 to 3 years of good to elite production?   Or do you let him walk and keep that money freed up to sign guys you wanna keep like Sneed and Humprey plus have money to go into FA for a WR   

easy answer, Let him walk...he is all about the money

15 hours ago, Calichief said:

That game, is why I think they lose at least one more. This is just who they are. I feel bad for Pat. The ints are just piling up. This wr group is the worst in the nfl next to Carolina 
this team is a turnover machine. 

I see it differently.  I think that game was a step towards righting the ship.  The Toney turnover was inexcusable.  The other pick was a throw we see Pat make all the time to Kelce, and Kelce either comes up with it or it falls incomplete.  The offense is adapting and Toney and Moore as well as MVS aren't getting as much run.  Reid is making subtle changes to the offense, Rashee Rice is coming on majorly, and we played yesterday without our top RB, when we had great success running the ball prior to the Pacheco injury.  With tweaks I think this can be a 24-27 ppg offense again by the time the playoffs start, and that's a winning formula with our defense.  

18 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Mike Edward’s is very unimpressive. He’s so slow to react watching again. A lot of the pats success early was on him. He’s not very good. I hope cook makes it back 

supposedly he had been sick . He did have 10 solo tackles vs the Bills. He's backing up Cook for a reason so he is what he is

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Question:  How much difference would Pacheco have made.  CEH had one impressive run and a really good TD grab but he also had a lot of two yard runs.  Would Pacheco have turned those into longer gains and kept ahead of the chains more often?  

one would have to assume so since Pacho is the starter, bigger and faster but that's all one can do is assume. Gotta admit tho that was 1 hell of a catch by CEH

28 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Question:  How much difference would Pacheco have made.  CEH had one impressive run and a really good TD grab but he also had a lot of two yard runs.  Would Pacheco have turned those into longer gains and kept ahead of the chains more often?  

NO ONE runs on New England. They have the best run defense in the nfl.