Ya THINK?!?

Kansas City Chiefs fans have waited patiently all season for improvements to the team's offense, but with only two weeks left in the season fans are starting to think it's never going to happen. The Chiefs are 3-5 over their last eight games and have been held under 20 points in all five of those losses. 

The struggles of Kansas City's wide receiving corps are well documented by now. However, over the last month and a half, struggles along the offensive line have mounted and quarterback Patrick Mahomes just hasn't been himself. During the Chiefs' latest loss to the Las Vegas Raiders this past Sunday, Mahomes was visibly frustrated by the play-calling process, specifically with the calls coming in late.

These issues have led many Chiefs fans to become frustrated with Matt Nagy. After serving as Kansas City's quarterbacks coach last season, Nagy was promoted to offensive coordinator following the offseason departure of Eric Bieniemy. Nagy's success as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator back in 2017 led him to become the head coach of the Chicago Bears, but he was fired after four seasons.

Part of the reason Nagy was let go by the Bears was due to their struggles on offense. Many people on Twitter made comparisons between the Chiefs' and Bears' offenses under Nagy's tutelage.

All of the Chiefs' issues on offense are obviously not Nagy's fault, but it's not a great look for a coach who's trying to re-establish himself after being fired. There is a defense to be made for him with the Bears. He was forced to try to make Mitch Trubisky a franchise quarterback in Chicago, a task that frankly no coach would be able to achieve. This past offseason he lost his No. 1 wide receiver in JuJu Smith-Schuster and the team's top offensive free agent signing, right tackle Jawaan Taylor, hasn't lived up to the billing.

VideoBlue.svgRelated video: Can't-Miss Play: Scoop-and-score TD! Mahomes' fumbled handoff results in Nichols' score (NFL)

Look at this. Balls on the ground.
Loaded: 100.00%

Current Time 0:06
Duration 0:13

BBwX8Qc.img?w=16&h=16&q=60&m=6&f=jpg&u=tNFL
Can't-Miss Play: Scoop-and-score TD! Mahomes' fumbled handoff results in Nichols' score

View on WatchView on Watch

There's no disputing that the 2023 Chiefs' offense is the least talented that it has been since Mahomes took over as the starting quarterback. It's not fair, or logical, to put the bulk of the blame on Nagy or Mahomes, but they both carry some of it as do the wide receivers and offensive line. Even the future Hall of Fame coach himself Andy Reid shoulders some of the blame. It would be nice for some light to be shed on the play-calling issues, but the tight-lipped Chiefs likely won't ever speak on it. K.C. has a short week to find some improvements before they take on the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

It's hilarious to me that in the article the writer says:

"There's no disputing that the 2023 Chiefs' offense is the least talented that it has been since Mahomes took over as the starting quarterback."

It's the exact same weapons as last year! With the exception of Juju....but an argument can be made that Rice is equaling and perhaps exceeding what Juju did last year. What can't be argued is the regression that has happened to guys like MVS, Skyy Moore and Kadarius Toney. I think the coaching is a major problem.

When a team is undisciplined and makes college level mistakes week after week after week and you have players like Kelce basically just brushing off a huge blunder by Toney who precedes to then miss a flight and subsequently miss the next game, MVS acting like things are fine, Watson making statements after week 11 (iirc) that the wr are now coming in early to watch more film together, and no one is being benched then yeah a good portion of blame goes on coaching and the leaders on this team.

Pat Mahomes wants everyone to like him.  He is a great dude.  However, he is still young and is learning a lesson the hard way this year that being nice to people doesn't always get the best out of them.   Their are players like Toney who aren't going to put in the necessary work to better themselves and coddling them enables them to continue making mistakes.  Case in point MVS getting called for offsides this week.  Watched the entire Dolphins game and every wr checked every play at the line to make sure they were lined up correctly.  Yet after a call that cost us a game at a position that has played like trash they commit the same mistakes 2 weeks later.    Andy won't let Travis come back in the game because he threw his helmet but dang he will trot MVS out more than any other wr yesterday even after lining up offsides.  If it doesn't get corrected that type of mentality will affect the entire team.  Its why Veach went out and got Clark and HB to change the culture.  Needs to do it again this year.   To many nice guys and not enough dogs on this team.  

The Bad:

The Offense is totally undisciplined (Nagy owns this)

Tackles are average at best.

WR corps is below average at best

McKinnon is hurt because of overuse because  Pacheco is hurt and Clyde is far below average

Bell is a Horrible Receiver, anything close to a 50:50 ball is a pick 6 going the other way.

The Good:

All things defense: Sneed is a MUST Keep.  Jones will cost to much considering "the Bad" above.  All else can be worked out.

This is a critical Off-season in KC.

w

20 hours ago, dhitter said:

It's hilarious to me that in the article the writer says:

"There's no disputing that the 2023 Chiefs' offense is the least talented that it has been since Mahomes took over as the starting quarterback."

It's the exact same weapons as last year! With the exception of Juju....but an argument can be made that Rice is equaling and perhaps exceeding what Juju did last year. What can't be argued is the regression that has happened to guys like MVS, Skyy Moore and Kadarius Toney. I think the coaching is a major problem.

Maybe we need to include OBJ and Wiley to your conversation?? I mean Juju, OBJ and Wiley aren't here and the offense looks horrible. Oh yea, I forgot about EB and Greg Lewis (WR coach last year, I believe) Maybe all those guys had great chemistry together?

28 minutes ago, artsy said:

Maybe we need to include OBJ and Wiley to your conversation?? I mean Juju, OBJ and Wiley aren't here and the offense looks horrible. Oh yea, I forgot about EB and Greg Lewis (WR coach last year, I believe) Maybe all those guys had great chemistry together?

Fuck that. Glad they are gone. Imagine them here and all the bitching on why we did not replace them etc. They were bad last year when we had better offense and WR talent that did catch the ball. They had EB etc too. Toney, Moore etc regressed for whatever reason.

Those 2 tackles would have been even worse and the whole chiefs nation was glad when they left. Taylor has not worked out so far but I will still take him over Wiley as he can improve. How has wiley even done on a shitty team where he should have plenty of play time? How has OBJ done for all that money on a offense that has great WR and RB talent and until injury a great qb? 

Veach tried to do what everyone was saying here. Get new tackles and move on. Now we see the WR problem and we see a LT for sure is needed. Who here thought Smith was anything but a stop gap any ways? Morris is getting his time and we are going to see juat what we have as he is a rookie.

Go into the draft and FA knowing what we need and you can bet Veach will do what the coaches etc want for the team. Don't sign Jones, use that 50 mil cap space to resign others and get 3 or 4 players for him with some cap space management. Then use FA for needs plus the 6 picks we have and comp oicks if awarded to really hit the offense needs. Our defense will need a dt replacement for Jones but if we can keep everyone else the D will be fine. We need to hit the offense now.

Nagy needs to go but I bet they won't. Instead I hope they get a WR coach and look real hard on having co offense OC type guy with Nagy. They have to look and see why it fell apart. What they tried to do, what worked or did not and who was there doing it etc. If it points to Nagy then they need to cut off his balls whem he stays. Reid is to loyal and it is why coaches, players etc love him. It is also why it bites him in the sss for things like this. Nagy will stay but they need to rework his responsibilities behind the scenes if they truly do an evaluation on him and see he was part of the problem.

31 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Those 2 tackles would have been even worse and the whole chiefs nation was glad when they left. Taylor has not worked out so far but I will still take him over Wiley as he can improve. How has wiley even done on a shitty team where he should have plenty of play time?

Wylie has given up 9 sacks this year. That dude is a bum. He always has been save for 1 year he played a solid RG. 

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Wylie has given up 9 sacks this year. That dude is a bum. He always has been save for 1 year he played a solid RG. 

Last year's OTs were not good. This year's OTs are not good. I'm beginning to think this organization has been cursed since Mitchell Schwartz got hurt.

The thing about our tackles is that they are shit in the run game also. I’m not sure how Wylie did in the run game. 
we need to get back to running the ball and Mahomes under Center. We gotta get some Marty ball going in order to keep going this season. Belldozer can be the fullback. 

On 12/26/2023 at 1:22 PM, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

Remember when we thought EB was holding this offense back and were happy to see him leave?

Good times. 

The question is still whether EB actually designed schemes and called plays. Same for Nagy now and in 2017. Andy isn’t paying extreme attention to the defense, that is all Spags. All the infuriating Andy stuff is still around. The biggest difference this year is execution and accountability. These are also all the kind of warts that crept up and got Andy fired in Philly.

EB hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire in Washington, not that they are nearly as well run or talented where it matters out there.

I am excited to see what happens in the offseason regardless what happens this year.

12 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

The question is still whether EB actually designed schemes and called plays. Same for Nagy now and in 2017. Andy isn’t paying extreme attention to the defense, that is all Spags. All the infuriating Andy stuff is still around. The biggest difference this year is execution and accountability. These are also all the kind of warts that crept up and got Andy fired in Philly.

EB hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire in Washington, not that they are nearly as well run or talented where it matters out there.

I am excited to see what happens in the offseason regardless what happens this year.

JMO here but I think EB was more of the Drill Instructor/Enforcer the Bad Cop to Andy's Good Cop. Nagy himself  has said he's more of a Traffic Cop but as  the Season goes on I'm thinking more like one of the  "cops" that marks tires on parked cars

EB brought a tougher mentality out of the team. I once thought it was too much, but I'm unsure now. It seems like what they need, as what's been discussed before. It's crazy how some of us wanted him gone. All the stupid media attention and discussion about play-calling was overshadowed by what his true contribution was. 

36 minutes ago, qnet said:

EB brought a tougher mentality out of the team. I once thought it was too much, but I'm unsure now. It seems like what they need, as what's been discussed before. It's crazy how some of us wanted him gone. All the stupid media attention and discussion about play-calling was overshadowed by what his true contribution was. 

I can’t disagree. I was one of them. The lack of discipline and focus is very evident. 

12 hours ago, nmchiefsfan said:

Maybe the offense should spend a little more time working on the basics and a little less on the cute plays that seldom work. 

Agreed. When the Chiefs were winning and scoring 30+ a game if they pulled out the trickery....even if it failed....we all laughed and credited Andy for trying something "different". Because usually it didn't affect the outcome of the game. This year the Chiefs margin for error is so razor thin that those trick plays look like foolishness that helped sink the team that week. I can't get that Raiders handoff disaster out of my head. ARGHhh!!

12 hours ago, dhitter said:

Agreed. When the Chiefs were winning and scoring 30+ a game if they pulled out the trickery....even if it failed....we all laughed and credited Andy for trying something "different". Because usually it didn't affect the outcome of the game. This year the Chiefs margin for error is so razor thin that those trick plays look like foolishness that helped sink the team that week. I can't get that Raiders handoff disaster out of my head. ARGHhh!!

Spot on.

On 12/29/2023 at 3:35 AM, dhitter said:

Those plays just look like desperation this year.

22 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Those plays just look like desperation this year.

my thought exactly you dont do trick plays especially deep in your own side of the field unless deep down inside you know things aint going your way.  I am never in favor of them but I do understand trying to keep the game fun.

I always flash back to the time  in tribute to Hank Stram  I believe it was Trent Green and team did the old school huddle only for him to throw an INT for a TD . Somethings are meant to stay basic.