Former NFL GM thinks KC should concentrate on OT in Free Agency

3 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Taylors play isn't the problem if you ask me, it's the stupid penalties, but let's be honest.  Players get penalties ALL the time.  Remember how many stupid ones Travis used to get.  The problem is when his penalties occur, and I am not 100% it's not reputation that is getting them called on him at the inopportune time.  I honestly think the Refs are looking for a way to stop KC.  Some of it is focus though too.  

Should have been focused on the defense and pass interference calls they missed. Taylor looked ti be pushed, slightly before he did his block. it was a tick tack call but it was a push in the back. How many penalties did he have after crisis fuckface called him out the first game? I bet most of his penalties were then within the next 3 weeks. He keeps mahomes clean and I think will stay. They won't focus on him next year like they did this year. Get a great LT and Morris can always take RT duties if need be or LT as our swing tackle until we can cut ir decide to move on. 

On 1/8/2024 at 10:25 PM, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs lose to MIA or BUFF, they will draft in the mid-late twenties.  That should get them a top five OT or close to it.  Haven't studied the draft experts lists yet but the common word is that this draft is pretty deep in OTs.   Morris was a third rounder in a weaker class so it shouldn't be hard to upgrade.  

Last year the 4th OT in the draft went at pick #14. There is a difference between being a "Top 5 tackle in the draft" and being elite. Mahomes' skill set makes every tackle serviceable at bare minimum. He was the 2nd least sacked QB in the league this year and our tackles were not very good. And of course drafting is always a combination of preparation and some luck. I don't think the Chiefs can get a stud OT in the late 20s. Just my opinion. I think minimum they need to be in the mid teens.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

Last year the 4th OT in the draft went at pick #14. There is a difference between being a "Top 5 tackle in the draft" and being elite. Mahomes' skill set makes every tackle serviceable at bare minimum. He was the 2nd least sacked QB in the league this year and our tackles were not very good. And of course drafting is always a combination of preparation and some luck. I don't think the Chiefs can get a stud OT in the late 20s. Just my opinion. I think minimum they need to be in the mid teens.

If they have draft position #26, for example, they might be able to move up if their target is available at around #18-20.  I really feel that LT is a priority even with Mahomes escape ability.  After the playoffs, there will be a lot more analysis of draft projections and I'm sure we'll all be arguing about this and other points  

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

If they have draft position #26, for example, they might be able to move up if their target is available at around #18-20.  I really feel that LT is a priority even with Mahomes escape ability.  After the playoffs, there will be a lot more analysis of draft projections and I'm sure we'll all be arguing about this and other points  

and that is going to last only soo long 

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Well it depends on FA. We get a LT or WR then I would assume we go after the other. Both are deep in this draft. Also don't forget DT. If we let Jones go or trade him, that will then be a big need too.

43 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well it depends on FA. 

Very true.  There have been several WRs mentioned as FA targets, and RGR guys had a DT on the radar as well.  I haven't heard about any OTs that could come in as instant fixes.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see if a Jones deal will give the Chiefs enough cap room to wheel and deal.  

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly dont' think anyone is going to pay him 30 million a year unless its a cellar dweller franchise.  His age and productivity (while still good) wasn't as good as last year.  I think he will get 27-28 tops.  But I could be way off.  

10 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I honestly dont' think anyone is going to pay him 30 million a year unless its a cellar dweller franchise.  His age and productivity (while still good) wasn't as good as last year.  I think he will get 27-28 tops.  But I could be way off.  

would you give him 27 to 28??

10 hours ago, artsy said:

to stay in KC...that is.

Depends.  2/54 with 35 guaranteed.   Probably.   Would you?  Will Madabuike cost that much?  He is the only one available that would be in the ball park ability wise.  Wilkins is command 20 plus and doesn't give you the game changer ability Jones does. 

Keep Sneed.  It would take Veach several years to find a CB that good, not to mention he already knows the system and is a team leader. Sneed is a lockdown CB  with years of greatness left in him. IMO, he should be kept, even it it means letting Jones move on.  Other priorities almost pale in comparison.  Yes, we could use another OT to coach up and at least a good rotational DT to add to the crew.  There are so many excellent receivers in this draft class, a fine one can be had in round 2. He would be like a round 1 guy with Mahomes throwing to him.  Incidentally, all those great receivers who will be drafted by other teams is yet another pressing reason why Sneed must be kept...because he locks them down!

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Keep Sneed.  It would take Veach several years to find a CB that good, not to mention he already knows the system and is a team leader. Sneed is a lockdown CB  with years of greatness left in him. IMO, he should be kept, even it it means letting Jones move on.  Other priorities almost pale in comparison.  Yes, we could use another OT to coach up and at least a good rotational DT to add to the crew.  There are so many excellent receivers in this draft class, a fine one can be had in round 2. He would be like a round 1 guy with Mahomes throwing to him.  Incidentally, all those great receivers who will be drafted by other teams is yet another pressing reason why Sneed must be kept...because he locks them down!

I agree. With him and McDuffie there is so much versatility. 
I would love to grab a TE. And another RB with flat out speed.  I’m not sure if there are any studs in this years draft. If not, I’d like to poach one. Two three TE sets with Pacheco and a lightening fast RB would help our offense next year. 
not dismissing the needs mentioned like OT DT etc. can’t have it all but Veach will do what he can. 

55 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

This guy impressed me yesterday. Might be worth the look at DT and come cheaper? Ravens DT Justin Madubuike. 

We definitely need some major help at DT if CJ is not resigned.  CJ is the engine that makes that whole defense go.  Teams are so worried about him all our complimentary rushers get one on ones.  No matter how good our secondary is they can't cover forever.  I can't believe the Ravens would be dumb enough to let that guy go to unrestricted FA though at his age.

26 minutes ago, xen said:

We definitely need some major help at DT if CJ is not resigned.  CJ is the engine that makes that whole defense go.  Teams are so worried about him all our complimentary rushers get one on ones.  No matter how good our secondary is they can't cover forever.  I can't believe the Ravens would be dumb enough to let that guy go to unrestricted FA though at his age.

Well they have 21 free agents with bigger names than him coming up. Also just 11.7 mil in cap space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/baltimore-ravens/

54 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well they have 21 free agents with bigger names than him coming up. Also just 11.7 mil in cap space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/baltimore-ravens/

Don't really see anyone on that list I'd keep over him.  

There is a couple of very similar undersized pass rushing DT's in the upcoming draft.  Newton may get dinged for lack of length and be available at the end of 1.

Spags loves him some length at Dline though so I would be doubtful we go after any of them including Madubuike.

40 minutes ago, sith13 said:

CJ + Snead over any FA IMO. OT should be our go-to choice in the draft but that's it. 

Snead of couse...CJ, unfortunately no.

I don't believe that Veech will use that much CAP space on a 30 year old player. Losing CJ will hurt for awhile, but Veech has drafted 2 pass rushers and they are gonna have to step up next year and beyond. If they pay CJ, then they risk losing premier players in their prime....i.e, Creed, Bolton, Tranquil/Gay, possibly Sneed and any big time FAs less than 28 yrs old.

I wish they would've gotten it done during the offseason, but we all know CJ wants the money, and someone will give him close to exactly what he wants..

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

CJ + Snead over any FA IMO. OT should be our go-to choice in the draft but that's it. 

Can't just go by how good they are now.  What will they bring in cap space we can use for younger players? A young team is a fast team and one whose achievements can last. A good GM will make good decisions.  A bad one will not.  I trust in Veach that most of his decisions will be good ones.  He has shown that.  As for Sneed, we have to make the best offer, even if it means Jones spends his last year or two with another team.