Former NFL GM thinks KC should concentrate on OT in Free Agency

2 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah they were great.  Trophy case full of regular season lombardi's!

Funny, but still, they are probably the best team aa far as players go. Buffalo might also be better. They just aren't coached up to a championship mindset.  Harbaugh wanted the to be aggressive and violent, so they played like wild kids trying to win it on aggressiveness, some dirty play, taunting, and machismo attitude instead of playing clean, smart,  and as a seasoned coordinated team.  The difference in the professionalism of the two was obvious.  It was a Harbaugh loss, but their players and athleticism  as a whole this year topped our own.  With so little cap space and so many FA's, their situation can't last. Neither can an offense that requires a running QB who won't even slide to protect himself (and the team). He will lose a step in the next couple of years or get himself hurt consistently. But the Reid-Mahomes crew will remain in the super bowl mix for many years.  I'd take that anytime. When teams play the Ravens, they are worried.  When teams play the Chiefs in the playoffs, they are out and out terrified, because Mahomes will beat them in many different ways. 

The Chiefs can putz around tinkering and working out the kinks and still win during the regular season on Butker's leg. But they sure put it all together once they reach the playoffs. I didn't understand that really until this last several games.  i never thought the Chiefs would make it through the playoffs.  Never.  I shouldn't have doubted. 

Mea Culpa.

How the Chiefs overcame the injuries, both players out and during the game, was an indication of how organization and coaching along with depth beats the stronger team that makes a few mistakes.  The Chiefs can afford to lose a big name player as long as they strengthen their weaker areas and maintain depth.  

Chris Jones will be an interesting case.  He is older and teams that are on the cusp or just starting  to put the finishing touches on a dynasty and want to continue that run don't normally resign older vets to big deals.   The rub is our entire D, IMO, revolves around him.  Truth be told we are a better D if CJ is on this next year and Sneed isn't as opposed to the other way around.  Yet Sneed is much younger and looks to be starting a prime stretch of 2-3 dominant years were CJ is probably on the down side and will be significantly cheaper.   Karlaftis and Omenihu are very good players to have but they are high motor guys that take advantage of the opportunities that CJ provides.  Same goes for the rest of the Dline.  Our D won't be terrible with Sneed and no CJ but I think it'll suffer more than we want to admit.  

Just a tough decision.  CJ single handedly wrecks drives and can take over a game.  Not sure we have anyone else like that on our D.  How do you replace that?   

Any chance Veach runs this back?  Signs CJ, Sneed, and Dru.  Signs a mid tier FA wr and then goes back to the draft for WR, LT, and TE?    Feels like we take a step back on D to upgrade the O and get it elite again.  Gonna be a fun two weeks leading up the freaking SB we are playing in and then a fun offseason as well.   

7 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Chris Jones will be an interesting case.  He is older and teams that are on the cusp or just starting  to put the finishing touches on a dynasty and want to continue that run don't normally resign older vets to big deals.   The rub is our entire D, IMO, revolves around him.  Truth be told we are a better D if CJ is on this next year and Sneed isn't as opposed to the other way around.  Yet Sneed is much younger and looks to be starting a prime stretch of 2-3 dominant years were CJ is probably on the down side and will be significantly cheaper.   Karlaftis and Omenihu are very good players to have but they are high motor guys that take advantage of the opportunities that CJ provides.  Same goes for the rest of the Dline.  Our D won't be terrible with Sneed and no CJ but I think it'll suffer more than we want to admit.  

Just a tough decision.  CJ single handedly wrecks drives and can take over a game.  Not sure we have anyone else like that on our D.  How do you replace that?   

Any chance Veach runs this back?  Signs CJ, Sneed, and Dru.  Signs a mid tier FA wr and then goes back to the draft for WR, LT, and TE?    Feels like we take a step back on D to upgrade the O and get it elite again.  Gonna be a fun two weeks leading up the freaking SB we are playing in and then a fun offseason as well.   

I agree with your take. I think LJ is gone, but we have the depth in Williams, Watson, and Johnson to cover the loss. We don't have that kind of skill/youth/depth at DT.

6 minutes ago, Boone said:

I agree with your take. I think LJ is gone, but we have the depth in Williams, Watson, and Johnson to cover the loss. We don't have that kind of skill/youth/depth at DT.

I think CJ is good as GONE. I highly doubt Veech will give a 30yr old DT 30+ a year....

Now if CJ agrees to take around 25m a year, then maybe...

15 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Funny, but still, they are probably the best team aa far as players go. Buffalo might also be better. They just aren't coached up to a championship mindset.  Harbaugh wanted the to be aggressive and violent, so they played like wild kids trying to win it on aggressiveness, some dirty play, taunting, and machismo attitude instead of playing clean, smart,  and as a seasoned coordinated team.  The difference in the professionalism of the two was obvious.  It was a Harbaugh loss, but their players and athleticism  as a whole this year topped our own.  With so little cap space and so many FA's, their situation can't last. Neither can an offense that requires a running QB who won't even slide to protect himself (and the team). He will lose a step in the next couple of years or get himself hurt consistently. But the Reid-Mahomes crew will remain in the super bowl mix for many years.  I'd take that anytime. When teams play the Ravens, they are worried.  When teams play the Chiefs in the playoffs, they are out and out terrified, because Mahomes will beat them in many different ways. 

Doesn't matter how good your team is if your QB can't pass under pressure.  In the playoffs against better teams that just gets magnified.

I know it is maddening to deal with a cap, but it is a great equalizer and always gives a fan base hope.  Otherwise it would be like baseball, where the richest owners always reign supreme.  This way, you get the best GM you can, and sacrifice a season or two to move up and get the best QB, hire the best coaching staff you can,  and you can be dominant for years.  The cap is really KC's best friend.  The decisions it forces are fascinating and occupy fans for months and months between seasons.

** Blackledge wasn't a bad move.  It was just plain terrible bad luck.  Luck never hurts when it comes to the draft. The best decision the Chiefs have ever made was drafting Mahomes. The second best was letting him learn under Alex Smith for a year before throwing him into the line of fire.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Truth be told we are a better D if CJ is on this next year and Sneed isn't as opposed to the other way around.   

Not sure about that.  Sneed has played lights out for most of the season.  He's made the play on Flowers on the goal line that saved a Raven TD.  How many completions didn't happen because of Sneed.  One might argue that Jones forces the QB to hurry and he does block lots of passes.  But without Sneed, the QB could have a target much earlier.  No way to prove either side, but considering age, I'd prefer Sneed and a quality FA DT over paying Jones and moving one of the present backups into Sneed's role.  At 31, will Jones bring the same intensity once he gets his deal?  He does take some plays off. 

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

They won Super Bowls with mediocre defenses. IMO they need to take that 30 mil and put it towards building back their offense. Their  D may not be as good without Jones but if they get their O clicking again I think they'll be good enough.

16 hours ago, THEWIZARD said:

They won Super Bowls with mediocre defenses. IMO they need to take that 30 mil and put it towards building back their offense. Their  D may not be as good without Jones but if they get their O clicking again I think they'll be good enough.

As they say, offense wins games but defense wins championships. I believe that Mahomes can make any mediocre offense into a good one.  But Veach has to make sure that the defense is championship caliber talent for Spags.  So, i disagree.  Maintain a championship level defense and just make sure the offense is good. Mahomes will do the rest.  Keep Sneed, no matter what. Of course, I am old and remember Superbowl IV.  Len Dawson and an unbelievable 1969 defense.  We need Mahomes and an unbelieveable defense now.

On 1/30/2024 at 2:09 PM, Lamardirts said:

Dru will be affordable so I'd bet we bring him back.  Sneed and Jones, you're talking in the vicinity of 50 mill per year for the pair.  I'd be willing to bet Veach resigns neither of them.  You're probably looking at a draft pick in the first couple rounds and a cheaper FA to fill the Jones void, and corner will probably be another mid to late round pick, with the current guys just climbing the depth chart.  

Draft probably goes something like this :

1st DT

2nd OT  (1st and 2nd rounds could flip flop)

3rd WR/TE

4th DB

5th DB

I know it's not sexy, but good teams have to maneuver the cap to stay good, which means cycling out higher priced vets for cheaper, younger players. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

Dru will be affordable so I'd bet we bring him back.  Sneed and Jones, you're talking in the vicinity of 50 mill per year for the pair.  I'd be willing to bet Veach resigns neither of them.  You're probably looking at a draft pick in the first couple rounds and a cheaper FA to fill the Jones void, and corner will probably be another mid to late round pick, with the current guys just climbing the depth chart.  

Draft probably goes something like this :

1st DT

3rd WR/TE

4th DB

5th DB

I know it's not sexy, but good teams have to maneuver the cap to stay good, which means cycling out higher priced vets for cheaper, younger players. 

$100 to Boss for the Coalition. I say he does sign 1 of the 2

The rounds only roughly correlate with quality.  Kelce was a third rounder.  Tyreek Hil was a third, I think. Maybe lower. I think who is best and/or picked is partly need, partly cost in movement up or down, and partly who is best in ability in the time needed to coach them up.  So, any projection of what our draft will look like in terms of position will likely be a far cry from what actually happens.  Fans are just not truly in the loop to figure out those things.

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

I love me some Drue.  What a great and versatile piece for Spagnuolo!

Speaking of affordability, remember we have an estimated space right now of 58 million. It will obviously go up from there as guys are released or lost to FA. That's a lot. We can do a lot of things.  This is compared to the Ravens, who are currently at about 14 million, I believe. It is possible that they will take a big step back for awhile.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

As they say, offense wins games but defense wins championships. I believe that Mahomes can make any mediocre offense into a good one.  But Veach has to make sure that the defense is championship caliber talent for Spags.  So, i disagree.  Maintain a championship level defense and just make sure the offense is good. Mahomes will do the rest.  Keep Sneed, no matter what. Of course, I am old and remember Superbowl IV.  Len Dawson and an unbelievable 1969 defense.  We need Mahomes and an unbelieveable defense now.

With all of the rules favoring offenses I think that's outdated.  Like I said before, the Chiefs won two Super Bowls with mediocre defenses. They have I believe the youngest defense in the league. With an improved offense I think they'll  be fine,.

4 hours ago, THEWIZARD said:

With all of the rules favoring offenses I think that's outdated.  Like I said before, the Chiefs won two Super Bowls with mediocre defenses. They have I believe the youngest defense in the league. With an improved offense I think they'll  be fine,.

You may be right.  But here is my reasoning:  The Chiefs won in the early Mahomes years by simply outscoring teams and pulling off last second heroics. This inspired a lot of the best college programs and the young guys playing to emphasize offense to prepare them for this new era.  There are a ton of great receivers coming out in the draft, and we already know that there are at least 6-10 outstanding quarterbacks already playing who came into the league in just the last few years.  These teams are built to outscore teams like the Chiefs were.  In order to stay ahead of the curve, we need incredible lockdown CB's  and young, fast outside D linemen who can set the edge against screens and running QB's Remember, CJ is decent, at best, against the run.   We have to keep the defense very powerful, especially in the secondary to neutralize these great new receivers (at least 5 in the first round) that will be flooding into the NFL starting this offseason.  It is for that reason (staying ahead of the new wave of great receivers and running QB's) requires that we must make a huge investment in keeping Sneed and, if necessary, letting  Jones finish out his great career elsewhere Draft a couple of D linemen on the outside who are very fast and much better against the run.  Yes, we need another big WR and a very quick and elusive RB, but we can find those in the mid rounds.  It may be that we have enough at OT right now (I hope), except for one or two late round prospects who can develop.

Anyway, right or wrong, those are my thoughts.

13 hours ago, THEWIZARD said:

Overall you’re not wrong but this year if we win the SB it will be on the back of the defense and not the offense.  

12 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I'm game.  If he does sign 1 of the 2, it will definitely be Sneed because he's younger.  

17 hours ago, moons314 said:

Dru will be affordable so I'd bet we bring him back.  Sneed and Jones, you're talking in the vicinity of 50 mill per year for the pair.  I'd be willing to bet Veach resigns neither of them.  You're probably looking at a draft pick in the first couple rounds and a cheaper FA to fill the Jones void, and corner will probably be another mid to late round pick, with the current guys just climbing the depth chart.  

Draft probably goes something like this :

1st DT

3rd WR/TE

4th DB

5th DB

Expand  

$100 to Boss for the Coalition. I say he does sign 1 of the 2

@Xen make a note of this

17 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You may be right.  But here is my reasoning:  The Chiefs won in the early Mahomes years by simply outscoring teams and pulling off last second heroics. This inspired a lot of the best college programs and the young guys playing to emphasize offense to prepare them for this new era.  There are a ton of great receivers coming out in the draft, and we already know that there are at least 6-10 outstanding quarterbacks already playing who came into the league in just the last few years.  These teams are built to outscore teams like the Chiefs were.  In order to stay ahead of the curve, we need incredible lockdown CB's  and young, fast outside D linemen who can set the edge against screens and running QB's Remember, CJ is decent, at best, against the run.   We have to keep the defense very powerful, especially in the secondary to neutralize these great new receivers (at least 5 in the first round) that will be flooding into the NFL starting this offseason.  It is for that reason (staying ahead of the new wave of great receivers and running QB's) requires that we must make a huge investment in keeping Sneed and, if necessary, letting  Jones finish out his great career elsewhere Draft a couple of D linemen on the outside who are very fast and much better against the run.  Yes, we need another big WR and a very quick and elusive RB, but we can find those in the mid rounds.  It may be that we have enough at OT right now (I hope), except for one or two late round prospects who can develop.

Anyway, right or wrong, those are my thoughts.

That may be true, but that means to me they have to try to build up the offense close to where it was to compete. 21 points a game probably isn't going to cut it. Its tough to have a top offense AND defense so with a QB like Mahomes it makes sense to me to play to your strengths.