This is kinda interesting

2 hours ago, xen said:

Oh well maybe i dreamed that.  Did we not tag him before his first reup?

Ok if not you still can't go off the DT tag number because a 2nd tag has a clause that makes it 120% of the prior year cap number if that number is higher.  That should come in around 30 to 33m depending on unearned incentives and NLTBE incentives that didn't count on 2023 cap, all of which I'm too lazy to look up.

That's the one I remember. We didn't tag him this year did we?

2 hours ago, xen said:

Oh well maybe i dreamed that.  Did we not tag him before his first reup?

Ok if not you still can't go off the DT tag number because a 2nd tag has a clause that makes it 120% of the prior year cap number if that number is higher.  That should come in around 30 to 33m depending on unearned incentives and NLTBE incentives that didn't count on 2023 cap, all of which I'm too lazy to look up.

“The $30.4 million in cap space might seem like a lot, but considering the franchise tag for Chris Jones would cost $32.4 million by itself that money could evaporate pretty quickly. If the Chiefs want to go out and sign a receiver who can help, they’ll also need more space.”

He's only been tagged once, it was after his rookie deal was finished. This year was the last year of the extension he signed, that's why he was fined for missing training camp (if he was under the tag, he couldn't be fined). His "reworked" deal this year was more about him saving face for a failed holdout and having the opportunity to earn back most/all of what he was fined.

He could be tagged after this season, and it would be his second time..to the tune of about $32 million. This article was written before his holdout and fines last year, but I'm sure the numbers are still pretty close

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/7/25/23807122/chiefs-salary-cap-chris-jones-2024-franchise-tag-value

Bottom line? We could tag him, but at $32 mill for next year, we'd have to make some painful cuts to make that work. In Veach we trust...

2 hours ago, Boone said:

Bottom line? We could tag him, but at $32 mill for next year, we'd have to make some painful cuts to make that work. In Veach we trust...

Another question is whether another team would give Jones that amount plus a draft pick.  The Chiefs could get a third (I assume) if they let him walk so who would give more in a tag and trade?  No way should they give him $32 million to play in KC one more year.  If a longer term contract at lesser up front money, what guarantee would he demand? 

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Another question is whether another team would give Jones that amount plus a draft pick.  The Chiefs could get a third (I assume) if they let him walk so who would give more in a tag and trade?  No way should they give him $32 million to play in KC one more year.  If a longer term contract at lesser up front money, what guarantee would he demand? 

I really don't think he's comming back. He didn't want the offer last off season, I don't he takes what they offer this year. Plus we need more money for FA than we probably did last year, so I think this is the last post season we see with good'ole STONE COLD.

On 1/17/2024 at 5:49 PM, xen said:

This will be a 3rd tag for CJ so you can't use the DT tag number.  Also projected DT tag is around 21m

A 3rd tag on a player is 144% of the last tag you applied or average of top 5 salaries at their position or the tag number at the nfl's highest paid position, whichever of the 3 is higher.  So basically you have to use the QB tag as that will be the highest of the 3.

The projected number there is over 36m. 

So it would be roughly 36m to tag CJ in 2024 = not gonna happen.

Sneed gets tagged not DT.  Yeah his tag is far too expensive.

On 1/17/2024 at 5:52 PM, xen said:

You could get I think a little less than 12m by cutting MVS.  Would have to make more moves to tag CJ at over 36m or you'd have no room to do anything.  Trades also take time and teams will stall knowing you're going to cut him.

It won't be 36 million this is his 2nd tag (Also does that count if they play on the tag or just use it?)  I only ask because he resigned on a one year deal.  Still the 2nd tag won't be 36 but around 31ish.  100%,  trades take time that is why you give them a heads up and allow them to seek it before hand so by the start of FA a team could be in place.  Having the cap room to hold onto him helps.  What other big need do we have to immediately address in FA?  WR, right.  That could be managed if we signed a wr to a long term deal, but if we sign a guy like Mike Evans then yeah its more likely he gets cut.  

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

It won't be 36 million as this is his 2nd tag so around 32ish (which isn't much cheaper).  100%,  trades take time that is why you give them a heads up and allow them to seek it before hand so by the start of FA a team could be in place.  Having the cap room to hold onto him helps.  What other big need do we have to immediately address in FA?  WR, right.  That could be managed if we signed a wr to a long term deal, but if we sign a guy like Mike Evans then yeah its more likely he gets cut.  

As disgusted as I have been a few times with this team throughout the year for just having zero fire, that game took all of that away for me.  They came out and big brothered the Dolphins and played with a toughness we havent seen recently.  Pretty cool to watch some of those highlights.