Chiefs vs bills playoff game day thread

12 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Josh Allen when forced to throw was very average.

Agree but to be fair that pass to Diggs was a thing of beauty.  If Diggs catches that I think we lose, just the momentum of that play would have been huge.  

11 hours ago, xen said:

lol you mean when he was talking about what was happening in the game?  Cause you know, that's his job.

Yeah I think he is a shell of what he was initially when he started doing this but as the game ebbs and flows most commentators are going to move with the flow.   The Bills were a great story and lets be honest everyone wants the Chiefs to lose because we have been so successful and people are tired of us.  Didn't think it was that bad to be honest.  Aikman and Buck are worse.

41 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Agree but to be fair that pass to Diggs was a thing of beauty.  If Diggs catches that I think we lose, just the momentum of that play would have been huge.  

Couldn’t we say the same about the fumble? 

Saw this from a Facebook group:

Before I get to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of today’s game against the Bills here are some amazing stats. Before today the Chiefs were 30-6 in their last 36 games in December and January. Patrick Mahomes is the 8th quarterback in history with 12 playoff wins and he’s been a starter for six years. He has never failed to make the AFC title game in his career as a starter. Prior to Mahomes coming to town I’ve only seen the Chiefs in one AFC title game, and that was with Montana against these same Bills. It’s truly remarkable the era we get to live in.

Please check out the news at the end for some exciting stuff coming this offseason when it comes to yours truly and Chiefs content.

The Good

Chamarri Conner was in the game due to injuries. He did a great job poking the ball out in the first quarter. The Chiefs defense stepped up at the end of that drive to hold the Bills to a field goal. In the 2nd half the defense looked like the defense we have become accustomed to, they just totally shut down Josh Allen and the Bills over and over and only allowed 7 points to a very good offense.  

Patrick Mahomes was Playoff Pat again today. His early escape and throw to Rice on the 1st drive was something we have seen so many times before. Please never take what he does for granted. His sidekick Travis had a great game as well, hooking up for two touchdowns. They also broke the record for total playoff touchdowns by any combination in history with 16, taking that away from Brady and Gronk.  

CEH lately seems to have one amazing play most games, and tonight was no exception. His 28 yard scamper came at a time when we really needed a spark. And speaking of running backs, there are not many in the league I’d prefer over Pachecho who again had over 100 all purpose yards, especially when you consider what a value he is.

MVS had an amazing catch and three others as well. We have been waiting for him to step up and today he finally did.  

The Chiefs averaged nearly nine yards per play tonight including eight plays of 20 or more yards, while the Bills had exactly zero.  

I literally said watch the punt fake to the family before the Bills tried it and said we should keep the defense on the field. I had absolutely no idea we only had ten players out there and am thrilled we held them. 

My wife and daughters did some magic voodoo with our fingers towards the television on the Bills final field goal attempt. We are convinced we made a difference.   

Harrison Butker quietly hit every kick he was given. On a night like tonight where we didn’t need Patrick to be the hero late I think it’s important to point that out.

The Bad

The defense was getting gashed the entire first half by the Bills running game. We had no answer for it, especially for the Allen runs once Gay went out who was supposed to be spying him. Nnadi being out may have been a bigger factor than anyone knew. It was interesting how very little was made of the Chiefs injuries but we constantly heard who the Bills were missing all week. Mckinnon and Cook were out for us as well as Nnadi and the players who went down during the game, Gay and Edwards. And we felt the difference right away as well. 

The Ugly

We missed an opportunity to initiate a review we likely could have won early on the Allen forward pass. I’d love to know what our process for deciding that is, but it was a big play for the Bills. 

Our two worst moments still came down to our receivers. Justin Watson had a drop early on the four yard line that likely cost us 4 points. Mecole Hardman had two fumbles, one of which we lost at the 2 yard line that went into the end zone for a touch back. I’m not sure he should be given the ball again ever with this team. I put blame on Mecole’s 2nd fumble on the coaches as well. Why when we are in short yardage and goal do we not simply hand the ball to Pacheco three times up the middle? I’m also a bit baffled what angle the replay official had on that play. None of the angles we were shown could clearly know when Mecole’s rear hit the ground.  

I don’t understand the play call on our 1st play of the last drive of the half. Did we not want to score? And how do we have both tackles end up with a penalty on the same play? Thankfully the penalties were limited otherwise.  

The Bills got away with several chippy post possession antics, they must have been really feeling the pressure to win this game.

The bounces of fumbles have not gone our way all year. That said, please just fall on the ball rather than go for the scoop and score. The Chiefs could have had a comfortable lead at the end without several self inflicted mistakes.

“Buffalo entered the game hoping to exorcize a new demon but ended up being haunted by an old one.”  

In conclusion it’s on to Baltimore.  

Many of you have already friended or followed me on facebook, but this past week a friend of mine suggested I put this and other content on X/Twitter which in the past I’ve only used to follow the free agent gurus to see who we were getting in the offseason. So if you would like to see these articles and other regular content in the coming year please follow me there @ShawnSorter. If you have suggestions for offseason article ideas please message them to me.

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Man, I'm feeling good tonight.  🙂

For all the griping about the OTs, they did what they had to do.  Isn't this the second game in a row without a sack of Mahomes and there was only one penalty called against D. Smith.  The Bills may have been banged up, but their D line is healthy and good.  Mahomes made a few bad throws, but never came close to throwing an INT.  One glaring mistake and it didn't cost the game for a change.  Here's guessing the Ravens were pulling for the Chiefs to be eliminated today.  There's just something about playoff Pat.  

I agree. I’ve been nitching about our tackles all season and they balled. Hats off to them. Huge difference in this game! Our o line came to play. 

6 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

I agree. I’ve been nitching about our tackles all season and they balled. Hats off to them. Huge difference in this game! Our o line came to play. 

Yes sir! Now can they do it 2 more times!

Conner was all over the place.  Looked effective and comfortable, like the rookie DBs from last year.  All in all, our shelves are stocked in the secondary.  Been great to watch them all develop last year and into this year.

16 minutes ago, Boone said:

Conner was all over the place.  Looked effective and comfortable, like the rookie DBs from last year.  All in all, our shelves are stocked in the secondary.  Been great to watch them all develop last year and into this year.

Great point about Conner. He was flying around making plays. Him, Edward’s and cook next year is a nice combo. Reid maybe a cut candidate. 
I also have to give a huge shoutout to tranquile. What a beast of a LB! In my opinion he is a must add for next year. 
what a playmaker. 
it will be interesting to see how the ravens want to attack us. It seems as though the bills didn’t want to attack our secondary unless they had too. 
LJ doesn’t scare me throwing the ball like Josh does. 

15 hours ago, qnet said:

Josh Allen is an elite QB, the difference is the defense is better than in past years.

Josh Allen is definitely in the top 5 conversation for current starters. He was average last night throwing. Their gameplan was a bunch of sideways throws and short stuff. WRs didn’t help him on the deep balls. Allen though has been a turnover machine his whole career. He fumbled and we should have got it. A couple of super easy INTs dropped. He has that Jalen Hurts, Cam Newton, Michael Vick, Lamar Jackson factor with his legs though and did that last night. He absolutely is not at Mahomes level as a passer, and is not clutch when it truly matters like Mahomes.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

My wife and daughters did some magic voodoo with our fingers towards the television on the Bills final field goal attempt. We are convinced we made a difference.   

wife did the same

There were twelve of us watching together and a bunch commented on how the Bills kickers were not the best at this point.  Punter was gimpy and kicker not reliable.  So several were predicting a miss on the critical FG attempt.  I was just happy that the Bills didn't score a TD and was resigned to overtime.

4 hours ago, Calichief said:

Couldn’t we say the same about the fumble? 

100%, was just pointing out that Allen played pretty well outside that last series were he tried to play hero ball.  It was directed at someone who said Allen was very average.  I think for most of the game he took what the D gave him and they gashed us but when all the chips were down he reverted and ultimately lost.....again.   I thought for sure the fumble would be what did us in, glad it wasn't.   

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Glad we won, but on a personal level I hate that a player in those conditions has to bear that mistake probably for the rest of their life.   

Wonder if the BUFF fans have a Scott Norwood award for Bass.  Sort of like us and the kicker who shall never be mentioned by name or Dee Ford.  Disappointed fans carry grudges for a long time considering that most have a zero stake in the game other than feeling good about winning and down about losing.

21 hours ago, Boone said:

There was a lot of bellyaching by one poster here about Conner being a major reach.  But, he has justified his draft slot numerous times this year.

20 minutes ago, SEMO said:

There was a lot of bellyaching by one poster here about Conner being a major reach.  But, he has justified his draft slot numerous times this year.

what Veach lacking in identifying DEs in the Draft he makes up for in DBs.

That being said it was pointed out that our #1 pick has  not played these last 2 game..sick?

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

what Veach lacking in identifying DEs in the Draft he makes up for in DBs.

That being said it was pointed out that our #1 pick has  not played these last 2 game..sick?

FAU could be a late bloomer. If there was a year for our 1st round to take time, it was this year. We have to resign one DE i believe but if FAU takes the step forward, we will be set next year at DE.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

FAU could be a late bloomer. If there was a year for our 1st round to take time, it was this year. We have to resign one DE i believe but if FAU takes the step forward, we will be set next year at DE.

My impression is that the Chiefs took FAU because the draft didn't shake out like they had hoped and they didn't want to trade out of a first day pick with tens of thousands of fans swarming Union Station.  He was the best available in an area of need at the time.  Maybe they underestimated how well Danna would play this year, that Jones would eventually sign, and that they would get Omenihu after a suspension.  FAU has to learn some stuff and bulk up a bit more, but don't write him off as a bust until he's been in the system for a few years.  

On 1/22/2024 at 10:01 AM, Lamardirts said:

they had about 3 different plays that if passes were caught we are probably talking about the offseason and draft right now instead of Baltimore.

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

they had about 3 different plays that if passes were caught we are probably talking about the offseason and draft right now instead of Baltimore.

Can go both ways.  If Hardman doesn't fumble......