No time to rest. Now on to Baltimore!!! AFC Championship!!!

1 minute ago, Holmes4six! said:

Hope spags dials up his best scheme ever. There two TE and there run game are my concern. 

yup I agree 100%

Run game, i.e., Lamar Jackson. Hill and Edwards don't worry me that much, it's Lamar and that big strong oline they have that worries me.

I think this is the matchp where the strength of the Defense will shine. If Mcduffie and Sneed can lock down Flowers and Beckham, the other guys (Reid, Edwards and tranquil/connor) can hone in on Likely and Andrews. While Gay can help with containing Jackson.

Lamar is still ineffective throwing the ball outside the numbers and he really doesn't like to throw when the defense is playing tight man. I have to believe that if spags can handle Miami and Buffalo, he can work up something to contain Lamar. 

Go CHIEFS!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/nflviewguide012624/nfl-conference-championships-playoffs-schedule-guide-odds-injuries-stats

NFL playoff game picks, guide: Chiefs-Ravens, Lions-49ers

play

McAfee & Co. love Jared Goff's 'underdog story' (1:08)

ESPN staff

Jan 26, 2024, 07:00 AM ET

LikeLike

Open Extended Reactions

LikeFireFunny

The NFL playoffs' conference championship round schedule for the 2024 season has two great matchups, and we've got you covered with what you need to know heading into the weekend. Our NFL Nation reporters bring us the biggest keys and a bold prediction for each matchup.

Additionally, ESPN Stats & Information provides a big stat to know and a betting nugget for each contest, and our Football Power Index (FPI) goes inside the numbers with a game projection. Analytics writer Seth Walder picks out each matchup's biggest X factor, Matt Bowen identifies a key game-planning matchup to watch in both games, and Kevin Seifert tells us what to know about the officiating. Finally, Walder and Eric Moody give us final score picks for both games. Everything you want to know is here in one spot to help you get ready for an exciting weekend of NFL playoff football.

Let's get into the full conference championship slate, including Patrick Mahomes vs. Lamar Jackson and Brock Purdy vs. Jared Goff.

Jump to a matchup:

KC-BAL | DET-SF

(3) Chiefs at (1) Ravens

3 p.m. ET | CBS | Spread: BAL -3.5 (44.5)

What to watch for: This game marks the first playoff meeting between Mahomes and Jackson. In the regular season, Mahomes is 3-1 against Jackson, which is the most wins of any starting quarterback against Jackson (regular season and playoffs). In their most recent meeting in 2021, Jackson beat Mahomes and the Chiefs by rushing for 107 yards and scoring three touchdowns, including flipping into the end zone for the winning score. -- Jamison Hensley

EDITOR'S PICKS

We mapped out wins for the Ravens, Chiefs, 49ers and Lions: How each team can go to the Super Bowl

27mMatt Bowen

Offseason guide for every eliminated NFL team: Key free agents, draft outlook, priorities and predictions

5dESPN staff

NFL playoff bracket and schedule: TV times, dates and locations

2hESPN Staff

Bold prediction: The Ravens and Chiefs will combine for at least 45 points. These were the top two teams in the regular season in scoring defense, with Baltimore leading the way at 16.5 points allowed per game and Kansas City right behind at 17.3. But Jackson and Mahomes will be too good to stop, and each team will top 20 points. -- Adam Teicher

Stat to know: Steve Spagnuolo has been the Chiefs' defensive coordinator since 2019. In that time no team has allowed more rushing touchdowns to quarterbacks (26) in the regular season than the Chiefs.

Matchup X factor: Mahomes' scrambling ability. The Chiefs have had a rough time in the passing game all season long, and it's only going to get tougher against Baltimore, which allowed the second-lowest open score to opposing receivers (ESPN's receiver tracking metrics) and recorded the most sacks in the league (60). Mahomes is a very effective scrambler and will have to generate production with his legs on Sunday. -- Walder

Game-plan key: Kansas City's defense loves to use man coverage in the red zone, especially inside its own 10-yard line. Baltimore offensive coordinator Todd Monken should have some answers there, with Jackson's receivers running crossers and delaying their releases. The Ravens were eighth in red zone efficiency, scoring a TD on 61.8% of their trips inside the 20. Read more at ESPN+. -- Bowen

Injuries: Chiefs | Ravens

Officiating note: Referee Shawn Smith's regular-season crew threw the third-most flags in the NFL this season, an average of 14.8 per game. Smith has also made an above-average number of roughness calls. He threw the third-most flags for roughing the passer (eight), and overall his crew ranked No. 1 with 25 unnecessary roughness calls. -- Seifert

Betting nugget: Mahomes is 3-1 outright and 2-2 against the spread against Jackson. Three of the four meetings went over the total, with each matchup combining for at least 51 points. The average for the previous four over/unders was 52.4 with none lower than 49.

Moody's pick: Ravens 25, Chiefs, 21

Walder's pick: Ravens 26, Chiefs 20

FPI prediction: BAL, 63.6% (by an average of 4.6 points)

I kinda go back and forth on this game. On the one hand the Ravens have been a scary good team and deserve to be favored. Not sure if we will be able to run effectively or limit their run game. But Lamar has never been a great postseason QB and this is his biggest stage yet. Does he flinch in the moment? Also Chiefs have championship DNA. They know what it takes to get to a SB. Is Mahomes prepared to further his legacy by quieting all the naysayers about this year's team?

22 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I kinda go back and forth on this game. On the one hand the Ravens have been a scary good team and deserve to be favored. Not sure if we will be able to run effectively or limit their run game. But Lamar has never been a great postseason QB and this is his biggest stage yet. Does he flinch in the moment? Also Chiefs have championship DNA. They know what it takes to get to a SB. Is Mahomes prepared to further his legacy by quieting all the naysayers about this year's team?

I think lamar will flinch....And by flinch, I mean put the Ravens on his back with his legs. That is his go to "cheat code" when things get hairy...HIs security mechinism if you will. He will be so scared to lose the game on a turnover, he will clam up and start running anytime he can. 

The chiefs have to be ready for that in the 4th qtr. 

58 minutes ago, artsy said:

I think lamar will flinch....And by flinch, I mean put the Ravens on his back with his legs. That is his go to "cheat code" when things get hairy...HIs security mechinism if you will. He will be so scared to lose the game on a turnover, he will clam up and start running anytime he can. 

Yeah....I agree with this. When Lamar goes back to throw if it ain't there right away he is gonna tuck and take off. We need to have a solid game plan.

1 hour ago, artsy said:

well he is their leading rusher so I think that is expected

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

Cliches…  it’s going to come down to who wants it more and sheer will… I think it’s a pretty even match. I don’t see any advantage for kc other than qb. And that is slim this year. 

I don't see the teams as even.  BAL has some personal advantages, has home field, and is relatively healthy.  KC has several starters out and a number of banged up players who will try to go.  Also, KC isn't strong against the run, especially running QBs.  What makes it a game is the Chiefs experience in big games and no pressure plus Mahomes's uncanny ability to will the team to a win.  If (a big IF) they don't turn over the ball, don't drop passes, and don't commit untimely penalties, the Chiefs can beat anyone.  History this year makes that a lot to ask for.  I expect a close game with a one score difference.  On paper, BAL should win.  But on paper, the Chiefs shouldn't have come back in 13 seconds, overcome three double digit deficits one playoff year, and shouldn't have won a SB after losing Hill.  

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I don't see the teams as even.  BAL has some personal advantages, has home field, and is relatively healthy.  KC has several starters out and a number of banged up players who will try to go.  Also, KC isn't strong against the run, especially running QBs.  What makes it a game is the Chiefs experience in big games and no pressure plus Mahomes's uncanny ability to will the team to a win.  If (a big IF) they don't turn over the ball, don't drop passes, and don't commit untimely penalties, the Chiefs can beat anyone.  History this year makes that a lot to ask for.  I expect a close game with a one score difference.  On paper, BAL should win.  But on paper, the Chiefs shouldn't have come back in 13 seconds, overcome three double digit deficits one playoff year, and shouldn't have won a SB after losing Hill.  

I like how we match up. My only concern is there two TE. Lamar is going to get his  rushing yards but if we can limit him we will be good. Our blitzes tied to our back end is not being recognized enough. 
offensively, I feel pretty good if we stay ahead of sticks like we did against Buffalo. If we are in long down and distances, it will be a challenge. 
If we come out and match the physicality we are going to be just fine. 
weather the early crowd noise and andreline and we will be good. 

5 hours ago, Calichief said:

I feel like the chiefs are clicking. The offense is due for a big game. The defense is due to take the ball away. Chiefs in a rout. Don’t think I’ve predicted a blow out in a couple years. Let’s go!

Kinda close ? lol I’ll take the w 

9 minutes ago, Calichief said:

How bad was omenihus injury? Anyone know ?

That's something I'd like to know also. CaliChief, the Chiefs went on the road and beat the Bills and Ravens, what do you think about that?  I think Mahomes has progressed more as a QB, and the defense was underrated by everyone, even on this forum.

I am just totally amazed at our team and QB and coach!!.  I remember the Marty years where the team would do a 13-3 or 14-2 , 12-4 season and go 1&done in the playoffs, Now with Reid and Patrick we are going to 4 Super Bowls in 5 years. Damn that is Fantastic!!!!!  I am so damn proud of the team that we fans support!!!! 

2 minutes ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I am just totally amazed at our team and QB and coach!!.  I remember the Marty years where the team would do a 13-3 or 14-2 , 12-4 season and go 1&done in the playoffs, Now with Reid and Patrick we are going to 4 Super Bowls in 5 years. Damn that is Fantastic!!!!!  I am so damn proud of the team that we fans support!!!! 

Yup. Were lucky to be alive to experience the Golden Age of Chiefs Football.!!