The Landscape has Changed in the AFC West

Gotta think that Harbaugh in LA alters a lot of things moving forward for the Chiefs. Chiefs fans have operated under the belief that FA's will be wanting to come to KC because that is the best chance to win the SB. Harbaughs resume speaks for itself so we will have competition, maybe Payton steps it up in Denver and Pierce is looking like a positive in Vegas. Andy, Veach and Company need to continue to be aggressive in all phases moving forward so we can stay on the mountain top in the AFC West.

Continue to manage the cap and draft as we have been doing and we will be fine. Chargers are in cap hell here this year. Denver is trying to dig out and Raiders are going to Raider. Vegas has issues upcoming at getting a QB, Denver will too, but all the while as they try to compete they will get older at the positions that matter too. We have Mahomes and Reid. There is no other combo in the West that can beat that imo. Harbaugh and Herbert will be tough, but then again look at that cap situation...they are 45 million over it!

Im not a big fan of the chiefs and mahomes having to duel herbert and harbaugh for the next half decade. Also sean peyton is severely overrated, but he is no walk over.

meanwhile the patriots and brady had zero competition in the division for two decades other than an extremely short stint where the jets were decent.

Brett Veach, this is up to you to give mahomes the ammo he needs to keep dominating, no room for stupid contracts from this point forward .

in mahomes we trust

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Im not a big fan of the chiefs and mahomes having to duel herbert and harbaugh for the next half decade. Also sean peyton is severely overrated, but he is no walk over.

meanwhile the patriots and brady had zero competition in the division for two decades other than an extremely short stint where the jets were decent.

Brett Veach, this is up to you to give mahomes the ammo he needs to keep dominating, no room for stupid contracts from this point forward .

in mahomes we trust

Yup, Veach is gonna have to be good with these FA signing's for awhile. Harbough is a good coach and the Chargers will be better while he's there. But as long as Reid and Patty are here we will be the team to beat in the West.

Why all the hand wringing?  Veach will keep doing what he's always done.  He'll try to get the FAs and draft picks that improve the team each year.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Nothing the competition does will change that.  A good coach and Herbert could be a threat to the Chiefs' dominance, but teams are built on organization, not just the head coach and QB.  The Raiders need a long term QB.  The Donks need a long term QB.  The Chargers have their QB but lots of other problem including the cap issues.  Also, there's no reason to believe the Chiefs will own the division forever.  They have the advantage of a top coach, a smart GM, and the best QB in history.  It's hard to overcome all that, but even the best slip eventually as we've seen this season in so many close losses.  Enjoy the ride and forget about who else is getting better.  BTW:  Anyone notice that the Bills are also more than $40 million over the cap? 

This could be worrisome but it could also be nothing.  Harbaugh won in college after he finally had a team more talented than any other team.  It happens.  Look at that Joe Burrow led LSU team, but then the following years?   Harbaugh is a great coach but if you need elite players to win then that can be challenging and he hasn't been in the NFL in almost a decade.  Could he turn the Chargers into a juggernaut? Sure.  He could also be the next John Gruden.  Only time will tell.    

Sean Payton has made Denver sorta toxic.  They can't move off Wilson for another year at least and if they do after this year the follow year's cap is in hell.   

The Raiders hired Telesco the guy who put the Chargers in cap hell and Antonio Pierce fits in but playing a year for a guy after he replaced a idiot, but following that up can be challenging as well.  

I'm not terribly worried atm.  

I'm not worried in the slightest.  The Chiefs don't rule the west simply bc the other teams suck and we just feast on garbage.  The other 3 teams getting better don't preclude the Chiefs from the ultimate goal of a Super Bowl.  If those teams get good enough to drop us down to 10-7 type years, no big deal, because that means they are beating up on each other as well.  We are the gold standard of the league right now.  Our division getting better stands to hurt teams like the Browns, Steelers, Dolphins and Bills more than it does us, because it increases competition for wild card spots. 

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

This could be worrisome but it could also be nothing.  Harbaugh won in college after he finally had a team more talented than any other team.  It happens.  Look at that Joe Burrow led LSU team, but then the following years?   Harbaugh is a great coach but if you need elite players to win then that can be challenging and he hasn't been in the NFL in almost a decade.  Could he turn the Chargers into a juggernaut? Sure.  He could also be the next John Gruden.  Only time will tell.    

Sean Payton has made Denver sorta toxic.  They can't move off Wilson for another year at least and if they do after this year the follow year's cap is in hell.   

The Raiders hired Telesco the guy who put the Chargers in cap hell and Antonio Pierce fits in but playing a year for a guy after he replaced a idiot, but following that up can be challenging as well.  

I'm not terribly worried atm.  

Well said .... especially about the Raiders. Yes, the players like Pierce and played hard for him. They had basically thrown in the towel with McDaniels so they looked better. But they were still basically a .500 team. They still are a team devoid of a lot of talent and no elite QB. Let's see how they draft and go a full season.

One thing's for sure... they're trying to catch us. And while these recent coaching moves aren't perfect, the ones in charge now are upgrades from the jokers they replaced. That alone makes the division tougher. Chiefs can't slack just because they've won the division 8 straight years. 

1 hour ago, Boone said:

One thing's for sure... they're trying to catch us. And while these recent coaching moves aren't perfect, the ones in charge now are upgrades from the jokers they replaced. That alone makes the division tougher. Chiefs can't slack just because they've won the division 8 straight years. 

Boone understands what direction i was coming from, not worried, not wringing my hands (whatever the hell that means) not conceding the division. Not sure why some think that i was sounding a retreat call, just laying out facts

13 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

Boone understands what direction i was coming from, not worried, not wringing my hands (whatever the hell that means) not conceding the division. Not sure why some think that i was sounding a retreat call, just laying out facts

Wringing your hands is a tick some do when they worry.

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Maybe I took the first few post in this thread wrong, but it seemed that they said that the rest of the west was catching up and the Chiefs were in more danger of losing their dominance.  My point was that all teams try to improve and win every year no matter the HC or GM.  Some owners have a history of mucking things up and two of those are in the AFCW IMHO.  Harbaugh and Payton may get more out of what their teams have than the previous coaches, but I wouldn't trade Reid for either of them.  Wouldn't trade the GM.  Certainly wouldn't trade the QB.  The NFL is constructed to help the weak teams get better and hold the teams with better players back via the cap.  Aside from NE, not many teams have enjoyed the run the Chiefs have had the past six years.  Enjoy it.