Gotta give props to the backups

No McKinnon

No Nnadi

No Thuney

No Cook

No Gay

No Omenihu for a major part of the game.

No Edwards at a critical time.

No Moore.  (okay, that was a reach)

It's obvious that the Chiefs had no chance against the mighty Raven defense and the all-world QB.  Not sure why we even watched the game.  

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

What are y'alls takes on Chenal?   Can he be an above avg starting SAM next year?  I guess I am asking what do y'all think his ceiling is?   He has come a long way and is very versatile.  

I think we keep Tranquil and roll with Chenal too. Gay or Tranquil was going to be who did things better for us and Gay just seemed to be injured at the most inopportune times. 

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

No McKinnon

No Nnadi

No Thuney

No Cook

No Gay

It's obvious that the Chiefs had no chance against the mighty Raven defense and the all-world QB.  Not sure why we even watched the game.  

You forgot Toney in your list. Guy is the biggest game changer on the team.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

What are y'alls takes on Chenal?   Can he be an above avg starting SAM next year?  I guess I am asking what do y'all think his ceiling is?   He has come a long way and is very versatile.  

He’s a baller. He was all over Jackson yesterday. Didn’t wrap up or would have had a sack too.

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

No McKinnon

No Nnadi

No Thuney

No Cook

No Gay

It's been so long since McKinnon contributed (even before he was injured) that I had completely forgotten about him.  He was a non factor this year when he was healthy.   Thuney has the team over a barrel.  I think the Chiefs could get similar production much cheaper, but parting from him would resut in 11 million in dead money over each of the next two seasons. 

46 minutes ago, moons314 said:

It's been so long since McKinnon contributed (even before he was injured) that I had completely forgotten about him.  He was a non factor this year when he was healthy.   Thuney has the team over a barrel.  I think the Chiefs could get similar production much cheaper, but parting from him would resut in 11 million in dead money over each of the next two seasons. 

Not hyperbole, but he was SLOW this year. He really lost a step IMO.

1 hour ago, robgar said:

Chenal is a bad, bad man.. he just hasnt really gotten a chance to show it yet.. our linebackers are not just good there elite. 

I think we underestimate how much of an asset our LB Corp has been this year. Greatest 2023 FA signing was Tranquil, hands down. Spags has had the luxury of rotating the strengths of Chenel, Gay, Bolton, and Tranquil when all were available; but also the depth when one of these 4 studs are injured...an absolute masterstroke by Veach.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Chenal is very good at what he does, but like Bolton, he's not the sideline to sideline or cover guy.  Watching Bolton trying to cover yesterday was painful.  Chenal has value, but the Chiefs need Tranquill or Gay or both.  

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Chenal is very good at what he does, but like Bolton, he's not the sideline to sideline or cover guy.  Watching Bolton trying to cover yesterday was painful.  Chenal has value, but the Chiefs need Tranquill or Gay or both.  

preferably both.. I love the ability to do whatever the hell we want with our linebackers and front 4 we have. the speed, the punishers.. its all there, and its in pairs. 

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

I think the both  dream is folly. Gay is truly more athletic but yet undependable play from injury or  assault of a Vacuum. Tranquil clearly more cerebral and solid

In my opinion we need all 4 LB. Chenal, gay, Bolton and Tranquil. I think tranquille will sign again for cheap. We need to keep Snead and others on the back end. Reid maybe gone though. 
in these last three playoff games, Chris jones has made crucial plays. I would really like to have him back but hate to over pay for a 31 old. He is such a game changer for us. 
Veach really has his work cut out for him. 

On 1/28/2024 at 4:25 PM, Boone said:

Allegretti - no penalties, never had his name called

Bush - steps in a has a game-altering INT

Chenel - kept Lamar off-balance, had 2 tackles

Had the sack on the touchdown pass, just couldn’t wrap it up 

2 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

In my opinion we need all 4 LB. Chenal, gay, Bolton and Tranquil. I think tranquille will sign again for cheap. We need to keep Snead and others on the back end. Reid maybe gone though. 
in these last three playoff games, Chris jones has made crucial plays. I would really like to have him back but hate to over pay for a 31 old. He is such a game changer for us. 
Veach really has his work cut out for him. 

We all want to keep everyone who contributes, but that's just not possible.  Players want to get paid, especially after getting their ring.  If Tranquill can be signed for a reasonable deal, then Gay is probably gone.  The one most worrisome is Sneed.  Chiefs really gain from TWO shutdown CBs.  Get Cook back and let Conner develop and the DBs could be special.  I think Jones is gone.  It will hurt, but so will an overpriced contract that prevents FAs or costs both Gay and Sneed.  Maybe find a younger and cheaper DL and let Jones walk.  We've seen too many teams hang on to their aging stars too long.  

25 minutes ago, West said:

I think Tranquil signed a two year deal....

Free Agency and the like will develop in a couple of weeks.

One guy that we better find a way to keep is Sneed.....

w

I had no idea he was 28

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/27/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-free-agency-contract-details-drue-tranquill/

The Kansas City Chiefs have signed former Los Angeles Chargers LB Drue Tranquill on a one-year contract. It was initially reported as a one-year deal worth up to $5 million, but at face value, it’s really a one-year deal worth $3 million with an opportunity to earn more through incentives. It’s a strikingly similar deal to the one that S Mike Edwards signed with the team.

According to the folks at Over The Cap, the 28-year-old Tranquill will have a $1.01 million base salary in 2023, which is fully guaranteed. There is also a $1.440 million prorated bonus. The deal has $510K in per-game roster bonuses. There’s also a $40K workout bonus attached to the offseason program. That’ll bring the 2023 salary cap number for Edwards to a grand total of $3 million, which is only slightly more than the $2.8 million charge for Edwards.

Tranquill now has the 12th-highest salary cap hit on the team this season, coming in right behind Trent McDuffie. On the surface, it looks like a solid deal for both the player and the team, especially with Tranquill coming off of a career season in Los Angeles.

Remember that the incentive package for Tranquill is probably considered not likely to be earned (NLTBE). That means that any earned incentives will count against the 2024 salary cap as opposed to the 2023 salary cap for Kansas City.

22 minutes ago, West said:

Thanks OT....probably wishful thinking on my part....

He is a priority to resign but we have plenty of "priorities"...

w

I'm not sure what Gay will fetch on the open market, but I think Veech could pull off 3 year deals with both Tranquill and Gay for decent money.....and still sign Sneed. Of course this assuming they let CJ walk. I wouldn't offer CJ more than 25 a year on  4 yr deal. With maybe some incentives that equal 28 per yr. Otherwise, CJ walks. And I think he will becuase there's probably a team that will offer him upwards of 30 per..

If I had to choose out of Gay and Dru, I would keep Dru eventhough he's older.

There's a guy on the roster that played in the Cinci game that was pretty atheletic that could do close to what Willie does...

8 minutes ago, artsy said:

I'm not sure what Gay will fetch on the open market, but I think Veech could pull off 3 year deals with both Tranquill and Gay for decent money.....and still sign Sneed. Of course this assuming they let CJ walk. I wouldn't offer CJ more than 25 a year on  4 yr deal. With maybe some incentives that equal 28 per yr. Otherwise, CJ walks. And I think he will becuase there's probably a team that will offer him upwards of 30 per..

If I had to choose out of Gay and Dru, I would keep Dru eventhough he's older.

There's a guy on the roster that played in the Cinci game that was pretty atheletic that could do close to what Willie does...

Keeping Gay, Drupal amd Sneed would be huge.  Extend Humphries in the offer season/ season and go into next year with a couple of needs only after the season is done. I think Smith is gone if he asks for to much so I expect a draft pick this year to develop.