2024 Chiefs Free Agents

Chiefs 2024 Free Agents: DT Chris Jones, CB L’Jarius Sneed, and RB Jerick McKinnon Among Top Options

Who Are the Kansas City Chiefs’ Upcoming Free Agents?

DT Chris Jones

Chris Jones will be Kansas City’s most high-profile free agent next offseason. The Chiefs will have the option to franchise tag the 29-year-old, but because it would be the second tag of Jones’ career, he’d be entitled to a 20% raise. A resulting $32 million cap figure will likely dissuade KC from deploying the franchise tender.

Jones is still playing at an elite level and ranks fourth among interior defenders with 30 pressures. The Chiefs didn’t want to give Jones a contract that approached Aaron Donald’s $31.67 million average annual value, but he should be able to find a deal in that neighborhood on the open market.

CB L’Jarius Sneed

The Chiefs have seemingly already prepared for the eventual loss of cornerback L’Jarius Sneed. General manager Brett Veach added CBs Trent McDuffie (first round), Joshua Williams (fourth round), and Jaylen Watson (seventh round) in the 2022 NFL Draft, and all three have seen extensive playing time.

Although Sneed has played almost exclusively on the boundary this season, he’d spent more of his time in the slot heading into 2023. At 6’1″, 192 pounds, he’s a physical presence on the inside who offers value as a blitzer and run defender.

Versatility is the name of the game in the secondary. If Sneed can attract interest from a few teams in 2024, he could surpass the three-year, $40.5 million contract ex-Chiefs corner Charvarius Ward landed from the San Francisco 49ers in 2022.

OT Donovan Smith

Andy Reid’s squad originally intended for free agent addition Jawaan Taylor to play left tackle after spending his Jacksonville Jaguars stint on the right side. But Kansas City jumped at the chance to add Donovan Smith on a one-year deal with a base value of just $3 million.

Smith was the NFL’s second-most penalized offensive lineman in 2022 despite missing four games due to injury. He’s cut back on that problem so far this season, with just three holding penalties on his 2023 track record. Only 30 years old, Smith could make sense as a Chiefs extension candidate, especially if the club doesn’t want to try Taylor on Patrick Mahomes’ blindside.

RBs Jerick McKinnon and Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Jerick McKinnon hasn’t been nearly the contributor he was for the Chiefs last season. Through eight games, he’s managed just 15 receptions and 11 rushing attempts. Entering what will be his age-32 campaign in 2024, McKinnon could struggle to find a landing spot.

McKinnon’s absence from KC’s offense has not led to more touches for Clyde Edwards-Helaire. The former first-round pick has played only 81 snaps this year. While it’s fun to imagine CEH breaking out as a pass-catching weapon in another offense, there aren’t many better situations than playing alongside Mahomes in a Reid-coordinated offense.

EDGE Mike Danna

Mike Danna might not be a household name, but he’s been a valuable member of the Chiefs’ pass-rush plan since joining the team as a fifth-round pick in 2020. Having already played 389 defensive snaps this year, Danna is on pace to set a new career high.

But Danna isn’t just available — he’s effective. He managed a 10.1% pressure rate last season, and while he’s slipped below 7% this season, Danna already has 5.5 sacks.

Danna will be entering his age-26 season in 2024. A solid run defender who can win one-on-one in pass-rushing situations, Danna is the type of underrated player who often scores a surprisingly lofty contract in free agency.

Other Chiefs 2024 Free Agents

• QB Blaine Gabbert
  • WR Mecole Hardman
  • WR Richie James
  • TE Blake Bell
  • TE Jordy Fortson (restricted free agent)
  • OT Prince Tega Wanogho
  • G Nick Allegretti
  • DT Derrick Nnadi
  • DT Tershawn Wharton
  • DT Matt Dickerson
  • LB Darius Harris
  • S Mike Edwards
  • P Tommy Townsend
  • LS James Winchester

Interesting Tranquil did not show up on this list from the above Bleacher Report back in November....that said, it is a good starting point for planning.

Sneed, Jones, Tranquil (if he is actually on a One Year deal) Danna,Townsend, Winchester, Allegretti, Nnadi, Donovan Smith make my list for starters...In Veach I trust .

PFF listed Snead as the 10th best FA. If that were true, maybe we could keep him, but he is better and more expensive than that.

Chris Jones was given our best offer and declined. He is gone IMO.

Smith would be good to compete for LT if cheap. We really need an upgrade because we are stuck with Taylor on the other side. You don’t want to be helping both. Prince would be good for competition as well.

I love that Tranquil is not listed. Keep this guy!

Given history, I don't see Veach paying Sneed.  We'll return the other guys and add a draft pick, perhaps a cheaper FA. 

Allegreti is a solid backup that I think is retained. 

McKinnon and Clyde are outta here.  I think they look for a cheap vet backup, someone like what McKinnon was when we originally signed him.

Jones, no way .

Winchester gets another contract unless he retires.  He's been a solid long snapper for quite a while. 

Wharton and Edwards need to be retained defensively.

Danna is a guy I'd love to keep, but my fear is someone is going to overpay him.  Spotrac has his estimated value at 17 million per, a number that's out of our realm. 

Smith is interesting.  I'm not against a deal here, but given the contract situation on the right side with Taylor, I can absolutely see our top draft pick being a left tackle to pair with the veteran Thuney on the left side.  Having a guy on a rookie deal would balance out some of the money on the offensive line.  That Taylor contract is pretty awful.  

I can see Richie James coming back.  He's cheap, can handle returns, and has some decent upside as a 4th/5th wr.  

Gabbert is back if he wants to be, and why not?  Being the backup to Mahomes might be the best job in the country.   

I think Tommy gets a new deal. 

Nnadi I can't see drawing much money on the open market.  He's on IR, and is only 27.  I think he stays. 

Tranquil is a must sign.  I don't see Gaye being in KC next year.  Both players curiously absent from the notable free agents list. 

I think Omenihu gets a reworked deal in the offseason to help the cap situation but give him a couple years on the back end.  He's only 26.  

12 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

If Sneed was only 3 years at 40 million, you gotta keep him, right? I’d think he’d command more. Jones can go.

I would really look to replace Gabbert. He isn’t nearly as good as Henne or Moore.

Keep Sneed. Tag and trade Jones. Keep Gay or Tranquil. Extend Creed and/or Bolton in season. I would let Smith go if he asks way to much next year because hopefully we can draft another RG to do it or keep Allegretti long term.  Go after WR/DT in FA and draft then accordingly. Go after LT in FA as I doubt we get one in FA. With LT we still have the option of trying Taylor to the LT, Thuney even too and insert then Allegretti at LG. If Taylor was to go LT then we draft the RT and keep depth at the position with a swing tackle. We need to look at TE draft and development as we have next year with Kelce and we would be lucky then one more after that. 

This is what we need to do to improve on offense and then reload at DT. If we keep one or two of the LBs this year, we should be good there and keeping Sneed keeps us good at CB. Safety we are set at imo. 

WR is a must as is one tackle. Get a WR in FA and draft another so we go in with FA WR, Rice, draft and then mixture of James if he stays, Toney if he is not cut and Moore all as depth. Cut MVS to use that cap for a FA pickup. After that we can look at drafting and developing for future needs like TE. Using the cap we save from Jones will help in extending the C and possibly RG position. 

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

If Sneed was only 3 years at 40 million, you gotta keep him, right? I’d think he’d command more. Jones can go.

I would really look to replace Gabbert. He isn’t nearly as good as Henne or Moore.

your delusional... he'll want AAV $20M+ Per and he'll get it if not from the Chiefs someone else and even at that price he's cheaper than CJ

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/highest-paid-cornerbacks-in-nfl/

Let Nnadi, Bell, and Harris go.  Keep Danna and Wharton.  Drop CEH and McKinnon and draft another RB on Day three.  Donovan Smith would hinge on what other options the Chiefs can come up on in FA or projected draft.  Jones is gone and the cap savings should be used to keep Sneed and Tranquill.  Gay may not to too expensive unless he goes big in the SB.  Townsend and Allegretti should be kept unless Allegretti gets a big offer elsewhere.  He looked pretty good in the BAL game.  Gabbert could be replaced but hopefully he or his replacement won't be a factor.  Bottom line is that the Chiefs are going to lose some key players and Veach will have to do his magic to keep the team at the top.   

20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

your delusional... he'll want AAV $20M+ Per and he'll get it if not from the Chiefs someone else and even at that price he's cheaper than CJ

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/highest-paid-cornerbacks-in-nfl/

Yea the tag is 18 for cornerbacks in 24.  That’s your starting point with him.   Veach usually has a number he won’t go past for every player will be interesting to see with him where that lands

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Keep Sneed. Tag and trade Jones. Keep Gay or Tranquil. Extend Creed and/or Bolton in season. I would let Smith go if he asks way to much next year because hopefully we can draft another RG to do it or keep Allegretti long term.  Go after WR/DT in FA and draft then accordingly. Go after LT in FA as I doubt we get one in FA. With LT we still have the option of trying Taylor to the LT, Thuney even too and insert then Allegretti at LG. If Taylor was to go LT then we draft the RT and keep depth at the position with a swing tackle. We need to look at TE draft and development as we have next year with Kelce and we would be lucky then one more after that. 

This is what we need to do to improve on offense and then reload at DT. If we keep one or two of the LBs this year, we should be good there and keeping Sneed keeps us good at CB. Safety we are set at imo. 

WR is a must as is one tackle. Get a WR in FA and draft another so we go in with FA WR, Rice, draft and then mixture of James if he stays, Toney if he is not cut and Moore all as depth. Cut MVS to use that cap for a FA pickup. After that we can look at drafting and developing for future needs like TE. Using the cap we save from Jones will help in extending the C and possibly RG position. 

We already have issues at both OT spots and you want to create another one at Guard..

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

We already have issues at both OT spots and you want to create another one at Guard..

We're talking 2025 which is plenty of time to find/develop another interior lineman, especially if Allegretti is still around.  Smith (the OG, not the OT) is good but he's not all world.  We're talking about one of the lower paying positions and my point was that Humphrey and Bolton would be priorities if the cap squeezes to tightly. 

4 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Really we need just LT. Taylor if he stays at RT has done a good job. Is he worth the pay? We will see, but after getting slammed foe the season at the beginning he has done a good job and protects the QB. I rather keep Creed at center if it comes down to it between him and Smith. We can't keep them all as much as we would like too, I just think having to replace a RG in another year gives us time to do so now. We have options as I said above.