KC loses their contact negotiator to the Panthers

The Panthers made it official Wednesday, announcing the hiring of Chiefs executive Brandt Tilis as their new executive vice president of football operations.

Tilis will take over all football administration and non-coaching matters related to operations, equipment, video and analytics, among other areas. He also will lead player contract negotiations, compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement and league rules, salary cap management and maintenance and labor administration.

Tilis, who was Kansas City’s lead contract negotiator and negotiated Patrick Mahomes’ contract, adds an analytical approach to the cap and contracts.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/panthers-hire-brandt-tilis-as-executive-vp-of-football-operations

Odd that the Chiefs let him go.  He is filling the same position he had with the Chiefs.  Perhaps he was not happy here.  The only thing I can imagine is that his contract was up and the panthers threw an absurd amount of money at him and the Chiefs chose not to match.

9 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

Odd that the Chiefs let him go.  He is filling the same position he had with the Chiefs.  Perhaps he was not happy here.  The only thing I can imagine is that his contract was up and the panthers threw an absurd amount of money at him and the Chiefs chose not to match.

I did some reading  thinking maybe he/wife were from  the Charlotte area etc but found nothing. What I did find is this is technically a slight promotion altho it's miniscule and he had interviewed for a Gm job before with the Panthers..my best guess is that for the foreseeable future Tillis thought he had reached his professional ceiling in KC where going to the Panthers he had more opportunity for advancement...just a guess.

I think he has more potential for being fired in the next year or two. I am sure KC was willing to match his offer. Unless Tillis was truly the sole guru on the cap and the Chiefs have equally good people in the room to fill in. Think it is a poor decision on his part.

Negotiators are for sure....Now guys that work Personnel Management and Cap Space integration tied in with Offensive and Defensive Schemes....pretty tough to replace.

In Veach we trust.

w