2024 Draft Megathread

xen

21 minutes ago, xen said:

Love this kid.  6'5", 295 doing this.  Can play anywhere on the line.  Plays the run and rush.

I guess the fact that he is a MIZZOU boy has nothing to do with it lol.

That being said having 2 guys from MIZZOU on the Chiefs' D would be cool

30 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I guess the fact that he is a MIZZOU boy has nothing to do with it lol.

That being said having 2 guys from MIZZOU on the Chiefs' D would be cool

Call me a homer but this kid is Spags' kind of lineman.   Tons of length, power rusher with some movement skills, inside-outside versatility with where you can line him up, plays the run very well and has some pass rush chops with good hands.  He will be on our radar.  Late first or 2nd round kid depending on testing.  Might be considered a tweener by some but defenses that value length and versatility or 34 defenses will love him.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:48 PM, jetlord said:

Hey Xen, what do you think about Guyton, the OT from Oklahoma?  Would he be a worthwhile pick at #32?  You are probably closer to OU than most of us. 

For a big guy he's athletic and moves well.  Used to be a DT and not much experience but he's a really good pass blocker.  Better than you would think.  Gets worked over some with dline games but that's coachable.  He'll see a lot more of that in the NFL so he better learn quick how to pass guys off.

Really wish he had played some LT in college but was all RT.  That would concern me as a chiefs fan as I don't see them moving Taylor and I don't see this guy ready to switch early to LT.  He needs to be coached up on how to play and moving him to LT at the same time would be a lot for him to handle.

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Oh wise one...I have read several scouting reports about the LT at You Dub. Sounds like he has incredible feet and athleticism. Fautanu at 32 a realistic possibility? Too high? Too low?

6'4 Lt?  but the last sentence is interesting 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Troy-Fautanu-OL-Washington

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Oh wise one...I have read several scouting reports about the LT at You Dub. Sounds like he has incredible feet and athleticism. Fautanu at 32 a realistic possibility? Too high? Too low?

Several of the draft gurus have him projected at an OG.  If the Chiefs don't find good OT value at #32, they could take a WR and trade up in the second to get the guy from Houston or BYU.  Either should be an upgrade over Smith and four years on a rookie contract.  Isn't Andy Heck considered a good teacher?  It's hard to see more than seven OTs picked in the first round so the Chiefs should have a shot at a good one. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Several of the draft gurus have him projected at an OG.  If the Chiefs don't find good OT value at #32, they could take a WR and trade up in the second to get the guy from Houston or BYU.  Either should be an upgrade over Smith and four years on a rookie contract.  Isn't Andy Heck considered a good teacher?  It's hard to see more than seven OTs picked in the first round so the Chiefs should have a shot at a good one. 

Depending on how free agency goes on both sides of the ball...I think OT at 32 may be our best course of action. 

15 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Depending on how free agency goes on both sides of the ball...I think OT at 32 may be our best course of action. 

If the Chiefs have their sights on a certain OT, Veach might trade up to get him at around 25-29 like he did for McDuffie.  As you said, getting a starter at OT or WR in FA could change the whole draft.  Also, a lot depends on whether they can resign Sneed and/or Jones.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs have their sights on a certain OT, Veach might trade up to get him at around 25-29 like he did for McDuffie.  As you said, getting a starter at OT or WR in FA could change the whole draft.  Also, a lot depends on whether they can resign Sneed and/or Jones.  

Yeah if both those guys go that certainly changes the equation.

Getting some more good young offensive skill guys seems paramount to me as well.

13 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah if both those guys go that certainly changes the equation.

Getting some more good young offensive skill guys seems paramount to me as well.

I just cannot see them spending significantly at LT after locking themselves into Taylor for a few years w/ significant cap numbers. And how often do good LTs hit the market anyway. I can see them re-upping with Smith for another year. He's not great, but he's turned it up a notch in the playoffs.

Either way we need a plan at LT that goes beyond him. And I really like Wanya's athletic profile but he was extremely overmatched at LT at times. Just flat bad. 

My head and gut says we resign Sneed , spend at WR in free agency, and draft along the lines. At this point it's hard to argue any plan they come up with is a bad one. 

* I am still intrigued by the idea they may try Juwaan at LT. 

*I also do not know exactly how a tag and trade scenario works if they franchise Jones.  Can someone link me? Do teams have the ability to decide on whatever compensation they want even after placing a tag on a player?

51 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I just cannot see them spending significantly at LT after locking themselves into Taylor for a few years w/ significant cap numbers. And how often do good LTs hit the market anyway. I can see them re-upping with Smith for another year. He's not great, but he's turned it up a notch in the playoffs.

Either way we need a plan at LT that goes beyond him. And I really like Wanya's athletic profile but he was extremely overmatched at LT at times. Just flat bad. 

My head and gut says we resign Sneed , spend at WR in free agency, and draft along the lines. At this point it's hard to argue any plan they come up with is a bad one. 

* I am still intrigued by the idea they may try Juwaan at LT. 

*I also do not know exactly how a tag and trade scenario works if they franchise Jones.  Can someone link me? Do teams have the ability to decide on whatever compensation they want even after placing a tag on a player?

You get nothing but the right to match on a transition tag. 

You get 2 first round picks on a non exclusive tag which is what you would use for a tag and trade, but since no one in their right mind would do that anymore for a non QB you end up letting the player shop themselves and negotiating the compensation.

2 hours ago, xen said:

You get nothing but the right to match on a transition tag. 

You get 2 first round picks on a non exclusive tag which is what you would use for a tag and trade, but since no one in their right mind would do that anymore for a non QB you end up letting the player shop themselves and negotiating the compensation.

What will he fetch? Surely no one gives us a first for his services...

21 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Anything a 3rd and higher is a win. We get to use the pick this year instead of hoping and waiting for a 3rd from comp pick next year.  I say two picks, 3rd and 5th 

43 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Anything a 3rd and higher is a win. We get to use the pick this year instead of hoping and waiting for a 3rd from comp pick next year.  I say two picks, 3rd and 5th 

Kyle...what time did you start drinking today? 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

No idea.  DTs of his caliber are non existent.  But then the age thing.  

Course I think more likely outcomes are we let him go so we don't have to tie up that cap space or we resign him.