2024 Draft Megathread

xen

I also read awhile ago that a trade Jones and then trade for Allen from the commanders. Cheaper and younger for the next 2 years at 21 and 23 million at DT. Then go for LT or WR in FA and use the rest as needed.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:07 PM, kkuenn said:

I am at work. I hope to get back before kickoff. What do you think they get for a tag and trade lucas?

No outsider can answer that but I'd guess there's not many teams willing to give up much so they can sign a 30 y.o. DT for $30,000,000.  The probable third from letting him go as a FA is about as much as could be expected.  If Mahomes reworks his contract and with the cap going up, there's the chance Jones will get just as good of a deal with the Chiefs as elsewhere with the added factor of staying with a winning team.  He may be a little more skeptical of his agent's advice after last summers fiasco and it seems he likes playing for KC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 12:02 PM, jetlord said:

No outsider can answer that but I'd guess there's not many teams willing to give up much so they can sign a 30 y.o. DT for $30,000,000.  The probable third from letting him go as a FA is about as much as could be expected.  If Mahomes reworks his contract and with the cap going up, there's the chance Jones will get just as good of a deal with the Chiefs as elsewhere with the added factor of staying with a winning team.  He may be a little more skeptical of his agent's advice after last summers fiasco and it seems he likes playing for KC.

Hes the tip of the spear.  Theres no player in free agency that has more of an impact on a game than Jones. He is one of the most disruptive interior defenders that Ive ever seen.

They really need to get this thing done without anymore drama. It's unique, because he's unique. There's ways of seeing both sides of the argument. How can you pay a 3rd contract player top of the market money? How can you NOT pay Chris Jones. He's an all timer.

But this thing cannot drag out and affect all our other decision making like it did last offseason. 

They owe it to themselves (and the fans to an extent) to make sure he never watches another game from a suite at Arrowhead. Unless he's retired. That was a bad look. Lock him up. 

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Hes the tip of the spear.  Theres no player in free agency that has more of an impact on a game than Jones. He is one of the most disruptive interior defenders that Ive ever seen.

They really need to get this thing done without anymore drama. It's unique, because he's unique. There's ways of seeing both sides of the argument. How can you pay a 3rd contract player top of the market money? How can you NOT pay Chris Jones. He's an all timer.

But this thing cannot drag out and affect all our other decision making like it did last offseason. 

They owe it to themselves (and the fans to an extent) to make sure he never watches another game from a suite at Arrowhead. Unless he's retired. That was a bad look. Lock him up. 

The fear is that the Jones negotiations will drag out so long that the Chiefs won't be able to use the franchise tag on Sneed.  OT pointed out that is very early in the FA game, but the Katz brothers history is not favorable to getting a deal done promptly.  Offer Jones a four year deal (essentially three) with a guarantee that locks the Chiefs in for the equivalent of three.  $100 million for four years with a $90 million guaranteed or something in the range.  Then put the tag on Sneed and pay him $18 million + while working on a longer term contract.  If the Jones talks drag on through March 11, the Chiefs are in real danger of losing Sneed since they may have to use the tag on Jones.  

30 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The fear is that the Jones negotiations will drag out so long that the Chiefs won't be able to use the franchise tag on Sneed.  OT pointed out that is very early in the FA game, but the Katz brothers history is not favorable to getting a deal done promptly.  Offer Jones a four year deal (essentially three) with a guarantee that locks the Chiefs in for the equivalent of three.  $100 million for four years with a $90 million guaranteed or something in the range.  Then put the tag on Sneed and pay him $18 million + while working on a longer term contract.  If the Jones talks drag on through March 11, the Chiefs are in real danger of losing Sneed since they may have to use the tag on Jones.  

They are also in real danger of losing Sneed because they drafted one who may be better on the other side. And not many teams can afford to go top of market to 2 players in the same position group. McDuffie will need to be paid.

This is inevitable when you draft well, but also creates the need to HAVE to hit on players like Conner in the event Sneed walks. This whole thing is gonna take some twinkle toes shit from Veach and I don't envy him. But I don't doubt him. 

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

They are also in real danger of losing Sneed because they drafted one who may be better on the other side. And not many teams can afford to go top of market to 2 players in the same position group. McDuffie will need to be paid.

This is inevitable when you draft well, but also creates the need to HAVE to hit on players like Conner in the event Sneed walks. This whole thing is gonna take some twinkle toes shit from Veach and I don't envy him. But I don't doubt him. 

Maybe they could afford Sneed AND McDuffy if they don't overpay or over extend Jones.  Sure hate to see such an effective defensive backfield broken up.

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe they could afford Sneed AND McDuffy if they don't overpay or over extend Jones.  Sure hate to see such an effective defensive backfield broken up.

There's no way they'd be the same players back there without Jones disrupting the pocket the way he does. In my opinion. 

I don’t think there is any fear of having to overpay for both dbs.  Sneeds potential new cotract will end at the time Mcduffies will begin.  They will layer the contracts and it will work out fine.   You can’t replace Jones imo he is still playing at an elite level.    Paying 22-25 million for Wilkins, Madabuike, etc May get you better production at the end but I think Jones has two more years of elite play followed by a good third year barring injuries.  Sign him and let’s move on.  

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

There's no way they'd be the same players back there without Jones disrupting the pocket the way he does. In my opinion. 

That's not an opinion it's a verifiable fact.  Couldn't agree more.  Jones is the engine that makes this defense go.  Having Sneed is great but even without him our backfield is good and deep.  It's like slapping a supercharger on the car.  I do believe Spags would figure out a pass rush without CJ but the defense will take a big step back without him especially with Omenihu's return timetable going into the season.

Agree, Jones is worth more than Sneed when it comes to slowing the opposing defenses.  The fear is paying Jones and several years down the road his contract hampers getting the other pieces the defense needs.  Three real years max with a cuttable fourth is feasible.  What I really want is to keep Sneed and Jones.  Williams and Watson make some good plays but they won't hold Hill, Chase, Deebo, etc. down like the combo of Sneed and McDuffy did and will for a few more years.  

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Agree, Jones is worth more than Sneed when it comes to slowing the opposing defenses.  The fear is paying Jones and several years down the road his contract hampers getting the other pieces the defense needs.  Three real years max with a cuttable fourth is feasible.  What I really want is to keep Sneed and Jones.  Williams and Watson make some good plays but they won't hold Hill, Chase, Deebo, etc. down like the combo of Sneed and McDuffy did and will for a few more years.  

If your pass rush can't get home without blitzing it doesn't matter how good your corners are.  You give a QB enough time and he'll pick you apart.  Wait until teams can afford to double team furious George.  

Several years down the road I expect CJ to continue dominating.  As for the rest of the D, well eventually something's got to give so just have to trust Veach to keep drafting well.  Much like Pat, CJ has covered a lot of holes in our defense over the years with his ability to get quick pressure.  I expect him to keep that up for the next 3 to 4 years at least.